Things other expats do that drive you insane

• 241 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: Things other expats do that drive you insane
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
There is earlier discussion on a similar theme here: http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=855.0

The ones that really get my hackles up are the Western lads that treat Chinese women badly, in particular the ones that seem utterly unaware of the notion of 'face' and either don't realise or don't care that something they say could hurt a lot.

From a Brit to a lass who had referred to herself as his girlfriend, "You're not my girlfriend. You're just someone I'm screwing." Now, like many men, I've sometimes thought approximately that about certain women. I can even imagine myself telling a woman that if irritated by excessive possessiveness; it does not seem at all likely, but not impossible. However, I cannot imagine saying it in public, in front of a group of mutual friends.

Then there was the American who had visited a small town near the city we were in and extensively sampled the "massage" shops. Apparently the girls were young, pretty, enthusiastic and cheap. Not particularly skilled, but you can't have everything. I can understand telling other men about that; some of us want to know and the rest might just enjoy colourful stories. I can understand telling your girlfriend about it, depending on the sort of relationship you have. But telling everyone about it in a bar, at a table with your girlfriend and several other women? How could he be that stupid?
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

BrandeX

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »
The foreigners who are convinced that since someone here told them they are beautiful/good-looking then it must be true.

Double this for 'a great singer'

I worked with a guy a few years ago who used to serenade people in the office and so on, he even knew Chinese songs!

He did it to western girls as well, he knew a song in German and sang it to Germans we knew, of course the Germans were quite a bit less impressed than the Chinese....

tbh this might just be me being a misery guts, I hate talent shows and stuff, why can't people just sit in their houses and drink like me?
Hey, I do! But, I probably fit into the "Overly Negative Long Stay Burnout" category these days anyway. (non-marriage related)

babala

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
Foreigners who assume that just because their Chinese level may be higher than mine that they know everything about China and Chinese culture. My Chinese may not be the greatest but I do know quite a bit about China.

I'm with MK, also hate anyone who uses dragon in their Chinese name. Douches kkkkkkkkkk
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »
- Foreigners who assume Chinese people know nothing about the world outside of China (probably like their own view of countries outside their homeland)
-Foreigners with virtually no Chinese ability who sprinkle extremely simple Chinese words into their English conversations with Chinese people- so they can "understand them better"??

I had actually considered starting a similar thread a few weeks ago after overhearing a particularly annoying expat lecturing an innocent student helper who hand somehow gotten roped into going to dinner with this guy.

"Yeah, in America I drive everywhere. You know, kai che"
"Lots of Chinese people want to work in America, I have a lot of contacts over there"
"I'm pretty thirsty, better ke shui; ermph, he shui"

Perhaps the conversation I overheard that made me most embarrassed of my fellow countrymen was in the Guilin airport with some Americans chatting with what appeared to be their Chinese tour guide:

"Woah, there are mountains in China too. You know, America has a lot of mountains."

Look, I know I said a lot of stupid things when I first arrived to. Let me self-depreciate a bit:
"Wow, we have muffins in the US too. There, they are like small cakes." -FRB, off the plane 1 week. Helpful Chinese student, "Yeah.. I they are like that here too"

I guess we all have a lot of preconceived notions before we get here- in my mind, China was the furthest place from the tiny town in Wisconsin where I grew up and I didn't think anything here would relate to my life back in the states. But we'd probably all look a little better if we learned a few things before the hop over.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »
The "Orientalist." Wears Chinese cut suits and has a house full of crappy scroll paintings.

Damnit!  Stop using me as an example. llllllllll

laowais whose Chinese name contains dragon...

Big Dragon

Small Dragon

White Dragon

etc...

llllllllll asasasasas llllllllll asasasasas

Any objections to Paper Dragon?  Some famous guy already used Paper Tiger in a quote. ahahahahah

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Crippler

• Dangerous place to post
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »
Foreigners who allow other foreigners to drive them insane.  bibibibibi

old34

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

Wot he said.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
This is a great thread. I'm taking notes and if and when I meet you, I'll know exactly how to annoy you all.  uuuuuuuuuu

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »

yup!!
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Chief

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
I spent 3 weeks in Beijing before going to my school with some friends seeing the sights and partying.
I met quite a few young western males who were just in China "Cos the women are well easy", "Lets go to propoganda the women love white men there" "Chinese women love me blah blah" really wound me up.

opiate

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
-Foreigners with virtually no Chinese ability who sprinkle extremely simple Chinese words into their English conversations with Chinese people- so they can "understand them better"??

I do that in my sleep according to my wife.  uuuuuuuuuu

*edit - douchebaggery removed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:54:28 AM by opiate »

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 12:54:06 AM »
The Canadian who constantly feels the need to America bash.

Damned Kanuckistanis! asasasasas

The foreigners who are convinced that since someone here told them they are beautiful/good-looking then it must be true.

My Chinese friends would never lie to me, so I must truly be an amazingly handsome fellow. ababababab

Guys who will give you a hard time for dating a Chinese man but yet they date Chinese women.

I'm fine with it if you want to date Chinese guys, but would find it more of a turn on to think about you dating Chinese girls.  afafafafaf
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:28 AM »
Talking to me would make your head explode I bet haha. I do things like that but it really is not for them, it's for me.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across like that. It wasn't that he was so cocky and boastful about everything- his country was so awesome, he knew everything about China, and was some sort of language expert.

Sometimes it can be really difficult to look at the positives. There are lots of things that I like about China, but it can be hard to see them sometimes when you have a bad week at work or whatever. It can be encouraging to see that other people are in the same boat. Sorry if these posts seem to be annoying so many people.

Seems I need to relax with a little zen meditation, tai chi, perhaps some calligraphy....

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 03:12:51 AM »
ach this thread's just a little fun, no harm in it  agagagagag

I have done a lot of those annoying know-it-all things at one time or another, it makes me cringe to think about what a dick I was in my 20s.  kkkkkkkkkk

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

opiate

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 03:44:08 AM »
Talking to me would make your head explode I bet haha. I do things like that but it really is not for them, it's for me.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across like that. It wasn't that he was so cocky and boastful about everything- his country was so awesome, he knew everything about China, and was some sort of language expert.

Sometimes it can be really difficult to look at the positives. There are lots of things that I like about China, but it can be hard to see them sometimes when you have a bad week at work or whatever. It can be encouraging to see that other people are in the same boat. Sorry if these posts seem to be annoying so many people.

Seems I need to relax with a little zen meditation, tai chi, perhaps some calligraphy....

I did not believe you had any bad meaning and I had no bad feelings about what you said. In reading my post again I was a bit of a douche. Sorry about that. I don't want to shit up the thread.