Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China

• 586 replies
Re: Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China
« Reply #435 on: October 23, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »
It would certainly restrict my topics of conversation too. ahahahahah  I saw an Asian guy wearing a bright yellow T shirt with black writing which said "Open for business".  aoaoaoaoao  No! I was a good girl and went on my way humming "Yield not to temptation...." uuuuuuuuuu

xwarrior

« Reply #436 on: October 28, 2011, 04:52:18 AM »

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »
This t-shirt is a lie. mmmmmmmmmm ahahahahah mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #438 on: October 30, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »

Reminds me of the line from the Star Trek episode, I Mudd, Everything I say is a lie. I am lying.

xwarrior

« Reply #439 on: May 28, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
It is some time since posted here. There is a perfectly good explanation for that - in August last year I moved to Hangzhou.

Every student in China will lie through their back teeth and say that their hometown is a beautiful city. Well, I discovered that Hangzhou is actually a beautiful city. It is also the most boring city I have lived in China.

The experience has, however, confirmed my theory on the correlation between standards of English on Tshirts and socio-economic status. To refresh your memory,it goes something like; cheap Tshirts are more problematic than expensive Tshirts. Hangzhou is one of the seriously rich cities in China so there is a dearth of linguistically interesting Tshirts.

There are some other reasons why I have not been able to continue my 'academic' research on this subject.People usually only wear Tshirts on a sunny summers day - and summer has been a long time coming in Hangzhou. Sure there have been some fine days but they are soon followed by the days of mist (smog) and drizzle (acid rain) that seems to be pattern here. Nobody can really say with confidence that Tshirt weather has arrived.

Not that Hangzhou is a Tshirt city. The people here, from all walks of life, tend to be walking fashion statements. Girls float to work wearing garments that float - as in gossamer threads. Style is everything. The place is something of an oriental version of Paris or Rome when it comes to dress. Note - I have never been to Europe so I have to rely on overseas magazines, like Playboy, for my knowledge of fashion.

So, in declaring open the '2012 Tshirt Season', all I can offer is a Hangzhou version of a Tshirt.

I leave it to you to guess the question she was asked.

agagagagag

- Bette Midler

NATO

« Reply #440 on: May 29, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
I believe you're right on all fronts about Hangzhou XWarrior, are you staying next semester?

On the subject of t-shirts I only yesterday saw a 30-40 something bloke wearing a sky blue t-shirt emblazoned with "I 'heart' modern boys". I had no way to take a photo, and was passing in a bus anyway.

« Reply #441 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:27 AM »
Note - I have never been to Europe so I have to rely on overseas magazines, like Playboy, for my knowledge of fashion.

ahahahahah ahahahahah classy

Baoji to Hangzhou, eh? Those are two different worlds  agagagagag agagagagag
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

xwarrior

« Reply #442 on: May 29, 2012, 01:31:21 AM »
I believe you're right on all fronts about Hangzhou XWarrior, are you staying next semester?

No. The FEB will not give me an FEC because I am over 65. The college tried 3 different approaches but to no avail. Not sure what or where from here.  mmmmmmmmmm

Baoji to Hangzhou, eh? Those are two different worlds

Sure are! I really miss Baoji - but I could not face another winter there.

- Bette Midler

NATO

« Reply #443 on: May 29, 2012, 02:46:32 AM »

No. The FEB will not give me an FEC because I am over 65. The college tried 3 different approaches but to no avail. Not sure what or where from here.  mmmmmmmmmm

Sorry to hear that, that same fate has befallen two of my colleagues as well. One colleague is currently up and down the country for interviews at different places and the other colleague is going to head back to the states. Seems they're quite tight about that around these parts. I hope you find something soon  agagagagag.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #444 on: May 29, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
She's saying yes to doing everything needed to get you a spouse visa. agagagagag
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

xwarrior

« Reply #445 on: May 30, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
I may be maligning the people of Hangzhou when I refer to them as "the walking dead."

I guess it is possible that behind their deadpan expressions they are registering all the sights and sounds around them. It is also possible that avoidance of eye contact does not necessarily mean that it is beneath their dignity to acknowledge the existence of others. And an inability to communicate verbally does not mean that they have lost the power of speech.

Some are capable of basic pleasantries such as:

and some have mastered even more complex forms of salutation:

But, I find that most of the time I am confronted by an enigma, wrapped in something like a Tshirt, encased in a modicum of sartorial encumbrance.

The challenge is to find a way of unwrapping stripping off penetrating getting through the veneer. It is a challenge to which I am prepared to rise (I put that sentence in for George ... and the photo)

agagagagag

- Bette Midler

George

• My view of China
« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2012, 08:52:23 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. They do appear to be a sombre bunch. Just do your best, X. The first pic was a gem. agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

xwarrior

« Reply #447 on: June 06, 2012, 04:42:03 AM »
This is one of my students. She has been in my class for 2 semesters. The subject is Academic Writing.

The class is undertaking a Foundation Course as preparation for studies at an overseas university. The scary thing is that I am sure most of them will end up graduating.

It is a sad commentary on the state of university education in the 21st Century. Long live the RMB!

- Bette Midler

« Reply #448 on: June 06, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Maybe "taday" is her nickname?  ahahahahah

xwarrior

« Reply #449 on: June 07, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »
Now, here's something that must have been cribbed from an English textbook produced by a Chinese professor.

I am assuming that 'adcny' needs capitalisation (capital letters seem to be optional in China) ... and 'Adcny' is a male foreigner.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:28:10 AM by xwarrior »
- Bette Midler