Re: Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2010, 02:55:40 AM »
It reminded me of a shirt I saw years ago in Canada

Newfie Sex Guide: Insert column A into slot B, repeat if necessary
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

xwarrior

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2010, 03:21:57 AM »
"Fickle girl is somewhat tautological but ....... I am not sure what followed the word 'Naughty'. Any guesses??
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

old34

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2010, 03:42:29 AM »
@ xwarrior > Do you take these pictures yourself?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

xwarrior

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »

xwarrior > Do you take these pictures yourself?

Yes. I seem to spend a lot of time out in the street - waiting for other people - so I fill in my time taking photos.

It is a bit like wildlife shooting - in the urban jungle. The other day a guy loomed into my viewfinder shouting at me to not take his photo. Me!? I do not take photos of guys!! ... and I missed another good shot of a Tshirt.

The things I have to do in the interests of academic research. Girls in the street think I am perving on their chests ... and all I am doing is trying to read their Tshirts  afafafafaf
- Bette Midler

Ruth

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2010, 06:01:44 AM »
I am not sure what followed the word 'Naughty'. Any guesses??
Reckless???
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Coming Out
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2010, 06:10:15 AM »
It is a bit like wildlife shooting - in the urban jungle. The other day a guy loomed into my viewfinder shouting at me to not take his photo. Me!? I do not take photos of guys!! ... and I missed another good shot of a Tshirt.

The things I have to do in the interests of academic research. Girls in the street think I am perving on their chests ... and all I am doing is trying to read their Tshirts.

I can see this post being deleted because it does not fit in with the majority point of view, but I have to admit that this thread depresses me.  I think having a laugh at the expense of poorly written English is something that someone should grow out of several months after one's arrival.

I am probably the only forum member that thinks that taking photographs of people without their permission is not a cool thing to do - particularly when the focus is on their chest and the aim is to poke fun at their lack of understanding of the English on their clothing.  I guess that the Chinese post stories and pictures on websites where they can amuse themselves at our attempts of written Chinese, but I would like to think that they are not Chinese teachers of Mandarin.

I also think that this...

It is a bit like wildlife shooting...

...subconsciously says a lot about the gaze of the photographer towards his Chinese subject.  I doubt many Chinese people would be amused too, particularly those that have been taught about the rules and regulations that were posted outside Huangpu Park1.

1I am aware that a 'No Dogs or Chinese' sign may have never existed, but there is evidence of a sign declaring that the park was 'reserved for the foreign community' and that 'dogs and bicycles are not admitted'.

xwarrior

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2010, 07:51:33 AM »

I think having a laugh at the expense of poorly written English is something that someone should grow out of several months after one's arrival.

After 10yrs in China I still think that:
- if something is dumb then it is dumb
- if something is funny it is funny
Something to do with 'one' having spent decades in an English Department back home, where teachers still draw attention to some of the unintended outomes of poorly written English . . . and sometimes laugh. 

taking photographs of people without their permission is not a cool thing to do - particularly when the focus is on their chest and the aim is to poke fun at their lack of understanding of the English on their clothing.

PC finally arrives in China.  bibibibibi

...subconsciously says a lot about the gaze of the photographer towards his Chinese subject.

closely followed by PsudoFreud   :lickass:

particularly those that have been taught about the rules and regulations that were posted outside Huangpu Park

I have been to Huangpu. Never saw the sign ...... but I saw lots of interesting Tshirts.

I can see this post being deleted
I do not want this post to be deleted. It serves to remind me of all the reasons why I stay in China. 
- Bette Midler

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »
...closely followed by PsudoFreud...

Actually, I think it's Pseudo Freud, but at least there's another T-shirt for the collection...

xwarrior

« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
Actually, I think it's Pseudo Freud,

Nice one!  bjbjbjbjbj  My computer ran out of 'e's at a critical time  ajajajajaj   
- Bette Midler

« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:41 PM »
This is not a t-shirt, but I was ROTFLMAO!  ahahahahah  I was researching some websites and it had the workers names and pictures. One lady's name is "Daisy Chan" Ooh what I'd give for an "i"

i'm going to heck
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

xwarrior

« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2010, 04:10:33 AM »
Ooh what I'd give for an "i"

Will this "i"  do ? 
- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2010, 04:31:02 AM »

I wonder if Kipling wandered around the streets of London looking at Tshirts for inspiration?

mmmmmmmmmm
- Bette Midler

old34

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2010, 07:06:26 AM »

I wonder if Kipling wandered around the streets of London looking at Tshirts for inspiration?

No. I'm sure he didn't.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

Not Kipling.

Jack the Ripper mabybe.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »

Not Kipling.

Jack the Ripper mabybe.

Maybe Kipling was Jack the Ripper. aoaoaoaoao
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com