Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1500 on: December 22, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
CaseyOrourke, I can't help but notice the Lone Star in your post. I am a native Texan from FoatWuth and have lived all over the state. This summer I intend to teach China how to cook brisket! But just prior to coming to China I lived in Sumter (Shaw AFB where I often taught on base for USC) and Columbia SC--Stil--I am more like the "Extra Crunchy" than the extra sappy Skippy. Thank y'all.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #1501 on: December 23, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
CaseyOrourke, I can't help but notice the Lone Star in your post. I am a native Texan from FoatWuth and have lived all over the state. This summer I intend to teach China how to cook brisket! But just prior to coming to China I lived in Sumter (Shaw AFB where I often taught on base for USC) and Columbia SC--Stil--I am more like the "Extra Crunchy" than the extra sappy Skippy. Thank y'all.

You may want to talk to my wife about cooking brisket, she may be Chinese, but she knows how, enjoys and is always ready to learn more about cooking American food. We use a small counter top oven for baking and roasting, but I miss having a backyard smoker.  If you have or can get the plans for a smoker, I would be in your debt. Through my family connections and Taobao, I could get everything I need and hire somebody to build it.

AMonk

« Reply #1502 on: December 24, 2011, 02:02:36 AM »
Western (and other) cooking???  You might take a look at our Recipe File (aka The Cook Book) in our Library section...

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=109.0
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1503 on: January 02, 2012, 02:53:38 AM »
Happy New Year! I'm Keyser Soze. No I'm Bill. I teach writing, business and oral English at a uni in Tianjin. I wish they would pay me for grading all those papers. I also allegedly work part time at an institute or whatever they call them.
I'm from the Southwestern United States. I had many jobs including pizza delivery man and lawyer. Not at the same time. I also taught tax preparation to adults and reading to elementary school students. I never travel, so I decided to teach in China. Makes sense, right?
I like long walks on the beach, cute puppies and cuddling by the fireplace.  ababababab

« Reply #1504 on: January 02, 2012, 05:38:51 AM »
Welcome Keyser, er, Bill. Make yourself at home here at the Saloon!

« Reply #1505 on: January 02, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
G'day KyserSoze. Welcome and a Happy New Year. agagagagag

What interesting jobs you have had and good opportunities to see humans in their true light. bfbfbfbfbf  I can certainly understand why you would like the things you do. I look forward to hearing about your life in China since ill health keeps me in Australia. I wish you all the best. bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag

AMonk

« Reply #1506 on: January 02, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Welcome Keyser / Bill agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1507 on: January 02, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
A spoiler alert would have been nice.

Now we all know that Keyser Soze is ……… Bill.

« Reply #1508 on: January 03, 2012, 06:12:00 AM »
Welcome KeyserSoze!   agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

All the best,

Sam
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."  (Oscar Wilde)

« Reply #1509 on: January 03, 2012, 11:07:39 AM »
A spoiler alert would have been nice.

Now we all know that Keyser Soze is ……… Bill.

Dang, that was easy. Now they think my name is Bill.  ahahahahah uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah

Thanks you all, it's good to be here.

« Reply #1510 on: January 05, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »
G'day KyserSoze. Welcome and a Happy New Year. agagagagag

What interesting jobs you have had and good opportunities to see humans in their true light. bfbfbfbfbf  I can certainly understand why you would like the things you do. I look forward to hearing about your life in China since ill health keeps me in Australia. I wish you all the best. bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag

Thanks, Granny!

For people watching, divorce court is quite interesting, but often not fun. Just go to the mall. 哈哈
So far my life is mostly work. I screwed up and (allegedly) found a part time job but they like me too much. Oh, and I teach writing so I grade many papers. People wonder why I don't study Chinese.
For fun I occasionally go to one or two downtown guitar shops and play all their expensive guitars. Of course, they only let me do that because I speak English. Not a problem!

Wishing you and your family all the best in 2012.

« Reply #1511 on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
For people watching, divorce court is quite interesting, but often not fun. Just go to the mall. 哈哈

Many years ago when I moved to the city from a small country town,I realized that city folk behaved differently. I spent every break that I had, sitting in the shopping centre and observing people's behaviour. I worked for the only Telephone company in this country and I ended up running the Compensation and Public Liability sections for my region. I would not have had a chance If I hadn't spent hours observing people. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1512 on: January 16, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »
Quote from: skippyteach on December 22, 2011, 06:33:37 AM

You may want to talk to my wife about cooking brisket, she may be Chinese, but she knows how, enjoys and is always ready to learn more about cooking American food. We use a small counter top oven for baking and roasting, but I miss having a backyard smoker.  If you have or can get the plans for a smoker, I would be in your debt. Through my family connections and Taobao, I could get everything I need and hire somebody to build it.

will get that and get it to you

« Reply #1513 on: January 27, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
Ni Hao.
Now that you know the extent of my grasp of Mandarin... Hi, I'm Hug or HaP or Panda or Lisa. I'm having a young mid-life crisis, looking for something different and challenging, and decided to check out China for 6 months or so. I'm heading to Chengdu in August, selected BEFORE I realized there is a panda research base there, and now am firm in my belief that it is meant to be. I'm trying to learn a little, so I'm not totally taken off guard.
I'll be quiet and shy and innocent and demure. At first.
It's nice to cyber meet you all :)

And I promise I'm not the hacker. It was just a coincidence. 

« Reply #1514 on: January 27, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
Welcome to the Saloon, HugAPanda.....here you will find friends, help, comfort and the loveliest group of assorted maniacs, rogues, scallywags, ne'er do-wells, one lunatic (and he is on the lamb), various talking members of the animal kingdom (me, for instance, a proud representative of the rare Danish Big-Nosed Bespectacled Ginger Squirrel), mythological creatures (Dragonsaver...don't ask her for a light if you smoke...it never goes well), beings whose very existence were the reason why our ancestors huddled around small fires in their caves, averting their eyes from the pitch-black darkness surrrounding them fearing what might be staring back at them (this would be the Infamous Lord of Nightmares, Stil), a chap of such venerable age that rumour has it he worked as a gardener in Eden (this would be George) and many, many others...now, all this ballyhoo about being...what was it...demure and shy...nonono, this is not the reading room of the Diogenes Club...this will not do...first drink is on me....pint of absinthe with extra wormwood, double dose of laudanum and the obligatory sugar cube...down the hatch and, again, welcome agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.