Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1395 on: July 14, 2011, 11:25:44 AM »
Welcome Btaubenfeld. agagagagag I look forward to hearing about your life in China. Take it easy and don't be afraid to seek advice from the many wise people in the Saloon. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1396 on: July 14, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
Welcome Britton :)  agagagagag
I'll tell you all my secrets but I'll lie about my past. (Tom Waits)

« Reply #1397 on: July 14, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »
Hey there Britton and bro'

If it helps I'd choose Nanjing over Zhengzhou. I have been in Nj for almost 4 years now and the scene here keeps getting better and better. The past couple of years the foreign student crowd has sky-rocketed which makes for a livelier social life here and of course the expat teacher crowd is still strong. easy to meet people here.
Check out www.hellonanjing.net & www.nanjingexpat.com for an intro to the city.

Best of luck.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  W.C. Fields
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it. Nietzsche

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1398 on: July 15, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »
If it helps I'd choose Nanjing over Zhengzhou.

I couldn't possibly agree more strongly. All else being equal...Nanjing is just a nicer place to live by far. bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1399 on: July 17, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Hi there,

to introduce myself, i'm London born and bred, just graduated from uni and now am hoping to go out and teach in China soon.

I've had a few offers so far, none of which seem particularly special though i'm not really sure I could do much better with my age and complete lack of experience. It would be nice to find a university position,, but again I don't know if universities would even hire a 21 year old, plus it's been hard to find any offers from universities on the various job sites.

Anyways, does anyone know anything about joy chidren's language school, specifically the daqing branch? So far they're the only offer that suggest i come on a Z visa so they're the best so far.

thanks, and its nice to be here agagagagag

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1400 on: July 17, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Welcome Sohois, we glad to have ya. agagagagag

We have a whole board just for asking about schools; might want to try your luck there. You can find it further down on our home page list, or go there from here: http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?board=13.0
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1401 on: July 17, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
Sohois

My understanding was that the Police don;t give work visas to anyone under 23.

(Question for other saloonies. Is this correct? I thought this was a national law. Am I correct in this? It's certainly the case in Ningbo, athough it won't surprise me if this also turns out to be flexible).

Nonetheless, it puts you in a vunerable situation in that some schools may claim (albeit probably correctly) that they can't get you the proper documentation, and thus put pressure on you to work on a tourist visa.

I dare say you will be able to find a good job, (local police are probably able to use discretion if they so wish, or are so persuaded), but it's sensible to be cautious about promises that schools make. However, (and again this is also a question for other saloonies) if a school sends you an offer letter (which you'll need to get your short-term visa to enable you to come to China and then get a yearly visa) is that an indication that they should be able to get Sohois the full shebang?

Also, if you or any recent arrivals want to sate my curiosity as to how you came by your username,
http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

« Reply #1402 on: July 18, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
My understanding too is that if you're under a certain age (23? 25? I can't remember) you won't be able to work legally in China. This didn't used to be the case but it seems to be a rule that is pretty regularly enforced these days. I've also seen teachers unable to get papers because they lacked 2 years experience.

That doesn't mean you won't be able to find work, but it does mean your options might be a bit limited.

Anyhow, welcome to the Saloon, hope you enjoy it here!

« Reply #1403 on: July 18, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
 To one of the youngest from one of the oldest, welcome to the Saloon Sohois. agagagagag Hope it all works out for you. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1404 on: July 18, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Quick google search doesn't turn up any info on Z visa age limits, and thus far none of the schools i've talked to have had a problem with my age, so hopefully i won't have a problem getting a visa, just have to wait and see i suppose.

« Reply #1405 on: July 18, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »
Welcome sohois :)  agagagagag
I'll tell you all my secrets but I'll lie about my past. (Tom Waits)

« Reply #1406 on: July 19, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
Hey Britton, I have accepted a teaching position at the Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology! I look forward to meeting you and your brother since I assume you will choose Nanjing over Zhengzhou!  agagagagag

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1407 on: July 19, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Welcome Sohois (excellent Moniker-being as I am a fellow Londoner),Britton and ToddDano all. agagagagag
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Dannyboychicago

• Tiger Temple in Krabi, Thailand
« Reply #1408 on: July 24, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
Greetings Saloonies,
     I'm a newbie and figured I would introduce myself! My name is Danny, American guy  mmmmmmmmmm[maybe I should say I'm Canadian] born and raised in Chicago. Graduated from uni 2 years ago with a BA in education and just finished my TEFL certification. Life in the states has been good, but it's time for a BIG change of scenery and lifestyle.  My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Shanghai [more specifically Jing'an] and teach English. 
     I have read through many of the Saloon's forums and have been genuinely impressed with the sound advice and wicked humor.  :lickass:  The obstacle we face is, from what I know now, a common one for those that are trying to get jobs lined up before we arrive.  I am staying away from recruiters  bqbqbqbqbq because I have read time and time again how shady they can be and I just do not want to go there. So to follow Rauol's suggestion of not asking 20 questions at once, I only will post 2. First question is, if my gf and I are hired as a couple will we get an apartment together? The reason I ask this is because I read that it is illegal for couples to live together unmarried in China? Is there an exception to that rule for foreigners? Second question is, would it be too late for us to land a job at a uni or private school now? I read that it is all about timing, as many of the FAOs have their inbox's flooded and tend to be overwhelmed but is there a cut off date?
     I am truly looking forward to this relocation and sharing my adventure!!
~Cheers                        agagagagag

« Reply #1409 on: July 24, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »
Greetings Saloonies,
 First question is, if my gf and I are hired as a couple will we get an apartment together? The reason I ask this is because I read that it is illegal for couples to live together unmarried in China? Is there an exception to that rule for foreigners? Second question is, would it be too late for us to land a job at a uni or private school now? I read that it is all about timing, as many of the FAOs have their inbox's flooded and tend to be overwhelmed but is there a cut off date?
     I am truly looking forward to this relocation and sharing my adventure!!
~Cheers                        agagagagag

I can let you know what i think the probable answer to your questions are;

1. Tbh, I don't know the answer, but why not try to get 2 apartments. If you're both working for the Uni they're not going to be worried about you stopping over in each other's places. I'd use one apartment for work and the other for, er, pleasure. There's no actual exceptions to laws for foreigners, but as you can probably appreciate, China being such a huge country is heavily dependent on buraucracy and local intepretations of laws.

2. Although I'm sure there are some Uni jobs going, I think you'll find that most Unis are on holiday, and therefore there's nobody at work at those Unis finding teachers. Some Unis will be open and / or looking for teachers, but not many, as it is very late in the day. I'm afraid most people apply in March / Apriil, and the Unis sort out their teachers in April / May. Loads of exceptions to the rule of course. Lots of folk on this forum got their jobs in June, and even this month, July, but I believe that most of them had started their hunts for jobs quite a while before.

To be honest, if someone offered you a job now they would be cutting it a little close to get all the paperwork done in 5 or 6 weeks. It's possible of course, but they're on holiday. Teachers already in China, and ideally in the city, have a huge advantage. People with experience have an even bigger advantage. Also, you need to find somewhere with 2 jobs. I believe that with a huge amount of work and a bit of luck over the next week you could possibly get a Uni job somewhere. Send all your info (passport, copies of quals, photos) to every University and Private school that you can find in China and hope for the best since with so little time to vet Unis and schools you would be taking a huge gamble. If you get 2 jobs in Jing'an at this point you will have transcended luck and become the chosen ones that no force of fate can oppose.

On the whole, I think it is probably much better to get some teaching experience over the next month or two of summer and apply for jobs starting the following term, (roughly end of February). There's less jobs and I'm not sure when you should apply; probably nov or December.

The other alternative is to get work at a 'language mill' for a year. They'll practically gobble you up, and if you can start by the end of August, your sentence, sorry i mean contract, with them will be up nicely in time for next September.

The other option (good or bad) is i suppose recruiters, as they will know which Unis and schools are lookinhg for teachers. Sorry to be so negative. I hope that other posters can give an opposing and more optimistic response.