What kind of name is that?

• 72 replies
What kind of name is that?
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
At the risk of revealing a lot of anti-climactic Wizards of Oz; what is the story behind your username?

Feel free to make fake reasons up for the purposes of entertainment.

I'll start. 'Just Like Mr Benn' is a Bell X1 song, and Mr Benn was a British children's TV character who visits a fancy dress costume shop and enters a new world appropriate to his costume every day.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: What kind of name is that?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »
I'll start. 'Just Like Mr Benn' is a Bell X1 song, and Mr Benn was a British children's TV character who visits a fancy dress costume shop and enters a new world appropriate to his costume every day.

And here I thought it was a political comment, a tribute to Tony Benn.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »
And here I thought it was a political comment, a tribute to Tony Benn.

The truth behind Art is inevitably disappointing. Tony benn is great though. He was the only person I ever saw come out well of an Ali G interview.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
I would like to assure everyone that the choice of the name Escaped Lunatic has absolutely nothing to do with those newspaper headlines about the breakout from the maximum security wing of an asylum back in 2006 just before I joined the saloon.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »
My name is Matt and I lived in China when I signed up here. That has got to be the most boring story I've ever told.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
My name is pretty self explanatory. Originally it refered to Kunminghua, but really every place in China has a local dialect. bfbfbfbfbf My blog has the same name too.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
My name is Matt and I lived in China when I signed up here. That has got to be the most boring story I've ever told.

Could be worse.  You could have just bought a door mat made in China and accidentally added an extra "t". ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
There are a series of novels about the doings of "Wiz" Zumwalt and friends. A California programmer who gets transported to a world of magic, & figures out how to program it ... Great stuff.

One character is an over-eager FBI agent named Myron "Clueless" Pashley. He's out to save the world by arresting Evil Hackers but does not understand much of anything about computers, let alone the net.

At one point, I was working on computer security things and subscribing to some "hacker" mailing lists. "Pashley" seemed an obvious alias to use. I've been using it for various things ever since.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:53:37 PM »
Many many years ago, I was juggling 3 jobs and exploring the internet. One evening I decided to sign up to play chess and was prompted for a nickname. It was 9 in the evening, I had just started supper cooking, and had to decide what I wanted people to call me. The old joke came to mind: "you can call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner" You may as well, I thought.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
Mine is my name, and I think I just trumped matt as the most boring story teller

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
Mine is a reference to an episode of The Simpsons. The episode where Homer becomes a boxer and Moe is his trainer. When Moe reflects back on his boxing career he refers to a series of nicknames as his unspectacular career progressed.

They called him Kid Gorgeous, then Kid Presentable, then Kid Gruesome, then just Moe.

It also kinda refers to the fact that ESL teaching is my only career venture that will ever require a headshot.

ababababab Closest to showbiz I'll ever get. ababababab

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
I am Danish and, as you know, Greenland was discovered by Erik The Red...however, my moniker is more to do with me having red hair and, at times, having a resemblance to the main character in the animated series "Stressed Eric" agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Mine if a reference to the obscure B wrestling movie Grunt!, which is Spinal Tap-esque mockumentary about a fictional pro wrestler named "Mad Dog" Joe Decurso. I used to run a tape trading site for boxing, wrestling and MMA videos and I  named the site after Decurso. It's been a net handle that just kind of stuck, and I've used it pretty much exclusively for the last 12 years.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
No wonder I couldn't find Terton on the map  oooooooooo

Borkya

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
In high school, a girl named Becca farted. A big group of us laughed and said, "Becca Borped." Somehow that slowly morphed into "Bork" and all of us started calling each other "bork-bork," or "bork" or "borky" (My real name ends in a Y so that's how I got Borky).

It was about that time, 1993 or '94, that I signed up for a hotmail account. I picked Borkya because my last name starts with an A. Since then on every forum and message board I use Borkya. So if you see a borkya out there, it just might be me. (And by the way, in my head I pronounce it as two words, Borky-A, but most of my friends think it is Borkah. I'm cool with either!)

So yeah, I guess some of my nerdy high school past comes to light.