Adding video snippets to PPT...how and where to find them?

• 10 replies
Adding video snippets to PPT...how and where to find them?
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
I was wondering how to do this. Tomorrow, I teach a class on AP US History, dealing with the West 1860-1890, focusing a lot on the Native Americans. I wanted to show an example of how this particular period was later rather altered so that the settlers look like heroes and the Natives look like bloodthirsty scalp-obseessed barbarians. Can anyone tell me if it is and how one downloads short videos from like youtube and such? I need a thorough play-by-play guide.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Re: Adding video snippets to PPT...how and where to find them?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
I dont know about youtube, (theres somekind of plugin for google chrome)

if you want to download video from Chiense sites

1, find your url

2, go to www.flvcd.com

3, plonk the url in and click save as

4, laugh maniacally as your video downloads at China speeds

so if you wanted to use a clip from pocahantus you can find the Chinese name by going to

www.verycd.com and searching it

Then copy the chinese name and search on www.tudou.com

stick the tudou url into flvcd and DL it

Somehow embed it into PPT

Monkey King

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:13:33 AM »
You can get stuff off YouTube with 'YouTube Options' for Chrome.  You have to drag and drop it into the extensions page to install.

https://spoi.com/software/yto/

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »
If you dont use Chrome you could try :

keepvid.com

If you go to the site it has a button that you can drag onto your toolbar for future use so you dont have to go to the site.

I use it myself for various things with firefox.
Still standing

jpd01

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
I also use keepvid when I want to rip something from youtube.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:53:08 AM »
I use the download helper add on for Firefox to download videos from YouTube.

CWL

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:01:46 AM »
Make sure your PPT and the downloaded vid file are the same location or folder.  If you back up your PPT to a usb drive, make sure the vid file is transferred as well.

Also, you may have to convert the vid file - wave to avi, etc... I use Quick Time Pro for this.  I bought it off of Ebay sometime last year for something like $5 or so.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:28:43 AM »
I never bother to imbed stuff into my ppts, although it is fancier that way, it is just as effective to simply have a file ready, close out the ppt, play your clip, and then open up your ppt again when the clip is over.

If you're in a classroom with internet access the easiest thing is to just pull up the clip you want to show on tudou or youku (you will be surprised what you can find on there with the right keywords), let it buffer up while you're lecturing, and then when you're ready just hit play.

Ripping stuff off of YouTube of course can be done, like the others say, but it is kind of a pain in the ass and you do have to go around first downloading this and that. The file will be in an FLV format so you'll probably want to change it to an .avi or somesuch before you use it. A bit of a hassle really.

Alternately, use a torrent site and download something already in the proper format. I got Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee from torrents.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
Ditto what TLD said.

I use Backpack TV. It is compatible with the Chinese internet and usually loads quickly. Just do a search for the desired topic. Let it load and then hit play after the green bar has buffered.

http://www.backpack.tv/

Monkey King

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:53:37 AM »
If you're in a classroom with internet access the easiest thing is to just pull up the clip you want to show on tudou or youku

The internet at my school, even when using Chinese websites like Youku etc dies all the time.  Seriously, it just cuts off unpredictably for minutes at a time.  I never feel secure using video unless I've got it in multiple places, downloaded onto the actual computer I am planning to use and also on a separate USB in my pocket just in case.  Demonstrating anything online such as a self study website I think is cool is a minefield.

CWL

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
The internet at my school, even when using Chinese websites like Youku etc dies all the time.  Seriously, it just cuts off unpredictably for minutes at a time.  I never feel secure using video unless I've got it in multiple places, downloaded onto the actual computer I am planning to use and also on a separate USB in my pocket just in case.  Demonstrating anything online such as a self study website I think is cool is a minefield.

Exactly.  Better safe than sorry.  Besides, most of the vids I use are short clips.  Embedding helps me keep the pace of the lesson going at the pace I have set and want to keep. Even when I want to show an extended vid, I still put it on an external.