What's in the News

• 2873 replies

AMonk

Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2130 on: July 24, 2013, 05:56:25 AM »

Congratulations to all that consider this important.
So...you're obviously against babies?
/sarcasm

Stil enjoys the practice bhbhbhbhbh
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2131 on: July 24, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »

Stil enjoys the practice

He has to practice cuz he hasn't figured out how to do it right yet   ahahahahah ahahahahah bhbhbhbhbh ahahahahah ahahahahah
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #2132 on: July 24, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
Great Photo thanks Metro! bfbfbfbfbf Don't tell me William is trying to smother him already. bibibibibi He did say that the baby has a really good set of lungs.

There are no big bright stars shining in the East EL. ahahahahah I only had one go at it ( no, I wasn't talking about that side of it) and that was enough. Mine was a boy as well and my husband was there for the birth. He was the one who decided that I didn't need to go through such trauma again. I can tell you that there was NO way I could have walked out of the hospital the next day, especially with a smile on my face. ahahahahah

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #2133 on: July 24, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
Not sure if this was already posted, but Shenzhen just passed a good samaritan law.

http://shenzhennoted.com/2013/02/26/shenzhen-good-samaritan-law-passed/

This blog fails to mention that the Nanjing Peng Yu case was revealed last year not to be a good samaritan, but the judge was right and the man who paid admitted to causing the accident, then tried to make himself a martyr later. I'll copy the article here since bloomberg is blocked. The article contains several links, and you can find them on the Wayback Machine or by using Startpage.com anonymous search engine, then click the Ixquick proxy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-17/china-s-infamous-good-samaritan-case-gets-a-new-ending-adam-minter.html

China’s Infamous ’Good Samaritan’ Case Gets a New Ending: Adam Minter
By Adam Minter 2012-01-17T23:11:15Z

The details of the most famous judicial verdict in recent Chinese history are well known to most educated Chinese adults. Or, rather, they were until Monday, with the shocking disclosure of previously confidential documents in Nanjing.

The ensuing reaction, which is really just getting underway, touches on many of the most sensitive and pressing issues in China today, including the role of the press, the possibility of a politically independent judiciary and the ever-precarious state of the Chinese self-image.

This curious but important tale begins on the morning of Nov. 20, 2006, when Xu Shuolan, a 65-year-old grandmother stepped off a bus in Nanjing, and fell to the ground. Just behind her was Peng Yu, a 26-year-old student. While others passed her by, Peng –- a self-described Good Samaritan -- rushed to her aid, accompanied her to the hospital and even paid her modest bill.

In thanks, Xu Shuolin -– a woman of modest means –- sued Peng for roughly $7,000 in medical expenses she claimed were due to the fall, including broken bones. The judge, in turn, invented a new “everyday experience” standard in the law, suggesting that nobody pays a stranger’s medical expenses without a guilty conscience. And on that basis, he ruled against Peng Yu, turning the case into shorthand for the decline of Chinese morality.

The “Peng Yu case” has become a talisman of modern China's failings, the easiest and most accessible example available to the social commentator looking to make a point about Chinese flaws and moral inferiority. And, to be truthful, since that famous verdict there have been several other high-profile “Peng Yu cases,” in which pedestrians failed to help injured strangers for fear of being sued. The most notorious occurred in October, when a national outcry ensued over a video of pedestrians passing by a fatally-injured 2-year-old who was struck by delivery trucks in a south China recycling market.

In the aftermath of that grisly incident, a real discussion about the need for a so-called “Good Samaritan law” began to take place in China, while one academic in southern China went so far as to form a foundation to provide legal and financial assistance to good Samaritans who specifically help the elderly. Of course, all of the Peng Yu-type incidents can't be blamed on Xu Shuolin’s decision to sue him, but the important point is that the national discussion about China’s so-called Good Samaritan problem was dominated by the injustice done to poor Peng Yu.

Or rather, it was until Jan. 16 -- when, in what seems to be one of the great scoops in recent Chinese journalism, the state-owned news magazine Oriental Weekly revealed the content of some newly discovered and disclosed documents. According to the trove, Peng Yu not only confessed to knocking over that supposedly greedy granny in 2006, but he actively solicited the local news media and online forum moderators to promote him as a martyred Good Samaritan.

On top of that, reports Oriental Weekly, he and Xu Shuolin secretly agreed on a modest financial settlement and had the decision sealed. So far as the two major players in China’s most notorious court decision were concerned, nobody ever had to know the truth of the matter.

The revelation that Peng collided with Xu, alone, would have been enough to send China’s microbloggers into paroxysms of recriminations. But what made the Oriental Weekly's discovery so much more potent, and so much more infuriating, was the revelation that law enforcement officials in Nanjing had received testimony and other evidence to the effect that Peng had knocked over Xu. Why was this testimony and documentation only released this week?

In the eyes of many Chinese, suspicion falls on the article's publicly identified source: Liu Zhiwei, director of Nanjing’s Political and Legal Affairs Commission, one of the city’s most senior judicial officials. The Oriental Weekly story quotes him as saying that he had the consent of Peng Yu and Xu Shuolun to disclose the case documents. But even if he didn’t, he noted, he likely would have done so, anyway, because the case had had a profound effect on Chinese moral standards. He's certainly correct on that count: According to years’ worth of polling on the subject, the Chinese public has become skittish about helping seniors and others in distress, for fear of being sued.

In other words, right or wrong, the disclosure, six years after the fact, has as much to do with politics and policy as with the rule of law. Criticism has come from some very high-level sources of the sort that don’t normally attack senior Communist Party officials. For example, on Monday, not long after the story was released, Yuan Yongjun, the Internet "censor-in-chief" at the Propaganda Department of Xi’an, a western Chinese city of 8 million, logged onto the Sina Weibo microblog to express his anger:

Three questions: 1. Why not expose the truth earlier? Why did you wait until today? What do you expect to accomplish by revealing the truth after a decline in moral standards? 2. Why didn't you disclose the truth during the judicial proceedings? 3. Even if the facts as presented are true, how can the departments that blocked the release of the truth ever make a proper apology?

Yuan is not the only Communist Party voice expressing skepticism about the timing of the disclosure, and its truth. On Tuesday, the influential Beijing-based China Youth Daily (owned and operated by the Communist Youth League, traditionally President Hu Jintao’s power base), ran a scathing editorial on the Peng Yu disclosures written by Chen Fang (likely a pseudonym), in which the truth of the case is tellingly placed in scare quotes:

Four years later, the truth is finally disclosed. If the present 'truth' is real, I'm afraid that what the "Peng Yu Case" has brought to the society is not a question related to social morality, but a question about how to handle the relationship between confidentiality and the right to know in socially sensitive cases. If belated justice is not justice, then what are we to call belated truth?

The answer to that question, from the point of view of this powerful party mouthpiece, is not flattering to those who are charged with maintaining Chinese public opinion:

Reports and opinions that deviated from the truth appeared during the judicial hearing, but the relevant departments didn't pay enough attention and didn’t guide them correctly. The result is that news reports gradually deviated from the truth and created a huge gap between the court decision, and public perception.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, some of the most scathing microblog commentary on the Peng Yu disclosures come from Chinese journalists, many of whom take strong exception to the notion that they somehow fell off in their professional duty to cover the case. Li Jifeng, a journalist with the independent Southern Metropolis Daily, possibly China’s best newspaper, took to Sina Weibo to address the director of Nanjing’s Political and Legal Affairs Commission, directly: “Please investigate the police officers who were involved in the investigation of Peng Yu's Case on suspicion of negligence and dereliction of duty.”

But, in the end, many journalists are looking past the matter of what role their profession did or did not have in creating the “Peng Yu case,” and wondering aloud at what such a case -- true or not -– says about contemporary China. Honest Green Beans, the online name of an editor at the Chongqing Business Daily, summarized these sentiments when he tweeted, on Sina Weibo, on Tuesday: “We should note that the reason people tend to believe that Peng Yu is innocent on this matter: it is inseparable from the poor reputation of society in general. The issue is how do we fix this problem systemically, not just control public opinion one-sidedly.”

Among those Chinese who are neither officials, nor journalists, that’s the kind of opinion that resonates most true. Thus, TobyZhang1982, a Sina Weibo user in Shanghai, might have been speaking for the millions who have already tweeted on this matter as of Tuesday: “No matter the truths or falsehoods in this matter, it is a fact that Chinese people have become more and more cold. We can’t turn back.”

In China, no judicial proceeding, or effort at opinion guidance, is going to change a sentiment like that one.

(Adam Minter is the Shanghai correspondent for the World View blog. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the author of this blog post: Adam Minter at ShanghaiScrap@gmail.com.

To contact the editor responsible for this post: Katherine Brown at kbrown114@bloomberg.net.

« Reply #2134 on: July 25, 2013, 12:43:58 PM »
Very interesting thanks Guangzou Writer. My observations here in Australia are that people are selective to whom they offer help. I also gained the impression that most would prefer to pretend that their help wasn't needed, but they want a good "sticky beak" as they go past. Isn't it sad that such a law has to be put in place.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2135 on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
Isn't it sad that such a law has to be put in place.

I'm not sure which is sadder, the need for laws like this or the amount of time it takes to get them on the books.

The US had to pass some since the "sue anyone for any reason to make money" mentality resulted in good Samaritans occasionally having to defend themselves in court.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2136 on: July 25, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
please excuse the levity of this one ... or - REVEL IN IT:

http://gawker.com/canadian-man-sorry-for-chugging-eight-beers-and-swimmin-888283225

"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

« Reply #2137 on: July 25, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
Uh...so a Canadian decides to swim to America and back again? For that he is banned from all waterfront property? This article is a hoax, right? It has to be. Otherwise, I do not understand. I thought the main issue in America were people crossing US border and staying, not immediately going home again. I must admire his stamina, chugging 8 beers and swimming a river, if I chugged 8 beers I wouldn't be able to walk, much less swim.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #2138 on: July 25, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »
... we-e-e-llll ... he did dive into a regularly busy shipping lane which pissed off the enforcers a wee bit ... NO HOAX: it happened.

According to the article, one of the buddies lined up on the shore to watch panicked when our John got far enough out to disappear from sight.  He called the cops which resulted in an expensive search for our HERO who - MEANWHILE - got across to Detroit and half-way back before being spotted by Yank coastguard *on the Kanuckistani side of the river (*WHY?) ...

What with the War on Terruh and all - Amerika is a tad reactionary sensitive about the idea of foregoing official entry/exit points in favour of swimming back and forth half cut instead...( bfbfbfbfbf ) ... anyway... just to be clear - I think the ban was unjust. This guy is beer store parking lot double life-size bronze statue material!

I LOVED this story. I loved how after all was said and done he needed his buddies to know he'd made it (but for the interruption of Yanks in a boat)... More than that, I love how his Mom's reaction led to that priceless expression he's wearing.

Sorry, sorry amerika. :/  

:alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic:
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #2139 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
In defence of the law I bet the coastguard have to go and pull drunk swimmers out of rivers alive and dead all the time

« Reply #2140 on: July 25, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
... just to be crystal clear, I further agree that some legally entrenched discouragements of this sort of thing are not out of order. Be safe in and on the water, kids! Go ahead and fine our good-hearted fool, John; recover the cost of the search & unnecessary rescue to whatever extent possible.  I just think the ban imposed on his strolling along the waterfront if for no other reason than to meditate on his stupid-AWESOME adventure is complete bullshit. That's all...

The next one's on me, John, buddy -  bfbfbfbfbf  agagagagag

« Reply #2141 on: July 25, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »
War on terror...well, I see that, however, I would argue that, in most cases. people of an anarchist frame of mind are rarely wont to get pie-eyed and go for a swim. "So, what do you want?". "I want to topple your heathen capitalist pig government, bring about a new Utopis risen like a glorious phoenix from the ashes of your modern Sodom and Gomorrah, set the people whom you have enslaved with consumerism and whose faculties you have destroyed with "Jersey Shore" free, I will usher in a new era of truth, virtue and...". "Yees..uhm...you're wet, obviously drunk and wearing a speedo...maybe you should go home and think about it some more?", "Down with your demonic soulless oligarchy who worships Mammon and..oh, right, yeah, I see your point..I will just swim back".
I wonder what the Canadians would have done had a US citizen performed this stunt? Probably given him a Molson and cheerily waved goodbye as he jumped back into the river.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #2142 on: July 25, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »
You would argue from a reasoned and rational perspective - one that USanian border officials and their overlords do not share ;) ... nevertheless - yes to all of that.  I would give any Yank who tried that a CASE of Molson and a backyard bbq in her/his honoUr.  bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #2143 on: July 25, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
OH - I do - must - take one small exception to your otherwise spotless thought experiment:

John was certainly NOT wearing a speedo. 

kkkkkkkkkk

C'MON.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #2144 on: July 25, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »
Wow, it's looking like about a hundred dead in that train crash in Spain

dark :(
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/25/spain-train-crash-dead