Foundation School - Release Letter

• 22 replies
Foundation School - Release Letter
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
I need to provide a release letter which is a form that is filled out by my school. Now, I am working at a foundation school which is a part or feeds into a university in Nanjing. Can I have my foundation school fill out this form or should I contact my FAO at the university? Please help.......this is driving me nuts!
 aoaoaoaoao

old34

Re: Foundation School - Release Letter
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
Who is Party A in your contract? Which school is named in the FEC? Who did the original paperwork?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
That would be the university in Nanjing. They are listed as Party A and placed me at the public school that I am at in Huai'an.

old34

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
Then you'll probably need a release letter from them (the Nanjing school).
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
The release letter is a standard, and all schools know how to go about processing it.  All you need to do is ask your new employer to contact the laoban or admin person in charge of foreign teachers, and the letter will be forwarded directly, as a matter of policy.  It needs the school seal, of course, but the Chinese know precisely what to do.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
Mac, I'm not clear on the situation here. Why do you need the release letter? Have you moved from one school to another, or about to do so? If so, you need the letter to come from your former or outgoing employer, whoever that may be.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
OK, here is the latest from my current employer. They want me to have my new employer contact them directly to get the release letter or form saying that I am free and clear to work at another school. Does this sound reasonable?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:59:10 PM »
Hmmm...might make things easier. But it also sets up a line of communication potentially about you...but you can't see it. aoaoaoaoao

Guess it depends on how things went at the previous employer...

I think I'd at least wait until after I'd officially been hired by the new employer, if possible, if things didn't go well before.
Chinese managers can be pretty vindictive.... oooooooooo
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
OK, thanks Raoul. The only thing that I have left to do for the new employer is to sign the contract. This will be in Dalian and I am looking to start in September at a University.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »
UPDATE:

I have signed the contract for my new school in Dalian.

However, I am still waiting on getting this release form from my current employer. I have been communicating with them via e-mail and phone. This form has still not materialized nor does it seem likely that I will see it anytime soon. My new FAO has also communicated with this outfit and nothing has been done.

I do have some options, though:

• This is a foundation school and I have to administer the final IELTS practice tests. I am considering telling them that I will not do this until I have received this form. I have already administered and scored these tests so I just won't release the results. I think it may sound better if they think that the test has not been administered.
  • My other option is to refuse to teach until I receive this form. I actually feel that this may be a mute point since I have completed my teaching although I still have two weeks left of class time.

So, I am going to throw this out..........What do you all think of this? I have been incredably patient with these morons and I am tired of pussy footing around. As far as I am concerned they can  :lickass:.

xwarrior

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
The Letter of Release usually cannot be issued until you have completed all the terms of your present contract. Most places will give it to you in the last week/on the last day of your time there. The end date of your contract really determines the timing but some places will hand it over once you have completed all requirements (hand in marks/lesson plans/etc)and got your final pay.

The Letter of Release is not required for a new contract to be signed. It is, however, required to get the documentation for a Foreign Expert Certificate which will allow you to start work at the new job. This usually follows some time after a contract has been signed.

Years ago I got around a situation by getting my employer to give me a document that set out the start-finish dates of my contract and a brief statement that they would provide me with a Letter of Release on the conclusion of my contract.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »
Thanks xwarrior.

I have two problems with this.

1. I leave for the states on July 12th and will not be returning to Huai'an where I am     
   teaching. After my vacation I will be going directly to Dalian.

2. The release letter needs to be issued by the college in Nanjing and NOT the school that I
   am currently teaching at here in Huai'an.

So, even though my contract does not end until Aug. 31st, I must have it before leaving in two weeks.

aoaoaoaoao

BrandeX

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 03:46:20 AM »
If you are going to be in the USA, how about just getting a new entry visa and work permit?

xwarrior

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »
I have two problems with this.

The 3rd problem is that you dealing with an organisation that has no vested interest in being helpful now that you are on the way out. They seem to be playing the usual 'run it around the block until it goes away' game.

I was faced with that 3 jobs ago and it was only solved by keeping in the face of the FAO responsible.

The key points are:

1. You must get the document before you leave because they will all bugger off for the holidays no matter what they say about the office being open

2. It is best for you to give them a template for the Leaving Clearance document. The best example I have seen is on the Hunan State Authority for Foreign Experts site, and you shouls be able to download it from there. It is not a basic document.

3. Identify the FAO person who is going to issue the document to you in person (as put it in your hand) and persecute them. Hold them personally responsible for solving the problem - if they try to duck-shove then tell them you could not give a fuck about the details of their system ... that is the FAO's problem to solve. Get a deadline out of them that suits you ... and leaves at least 3 days to sort out if they do not deliver on time.

4. the document needs to be on red letter head and have a red stamp. Do not let them try to give you anything less.

The Nanjing thing sure complicates things but nailing the FAO (at the school you are teaching at) to the wall seems to be the only way to go. All they have to do is email your template (with the details filled in) to Nanjing and get them to Express Mail back the stamped document on letterhead.

Stay strong!  agagagagag           

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks xwarrior!

Also, my FAO is in Nanjing, also! The only people that I deal with here at the school are Chinese English teachers and a liaison who helps me with problems with my apartments and other things like that.

These stupid morons will be visiting my school soon to administer the speaking component of the sample IELTS test. I will confront them at this time, of course. In the mean time, I will hold my testing results back from them. I will also be pestering them by phone to get this document to me. I had previously sent them a template to be filled out.

My biggest problem with these jerks is the lack of communication on their part. They have ignored my e-mails, refused to take my calls, and made false promises to me concerning this. I will say this: NEVER EVER WORK FOR A FOUNDATION SCHOOL!!!!
 ababababab