What's in the News

• 2873 replies

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1275 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
A conservative Republican elected to US Senator in MA the bluest state in the union.

`Changed!
 cccccccccc
blblblblbl
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1276 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:32 AM »
Looks like the voters in Massachusetts decided they wanted a free and open debate instead of backroom vote buying.  I personally am all in favor of trying to fix healthcare in the USA, but it needs to be done in an open and honest fashion.

Ted Kennedy was good at reaching across the aisle and finding solutions acceptable to more than just his own state and personal liberal views.  I think he'd be pleased to see that by breaking the filibuster-proof majority, his elected replacement will force some real bipartisanship on an important issue.

Now maybe Congress can get down to work and do this on CSPAN instead of in a smoke filled room.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #1277 on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:32 AM »
I personally am all in favor of trying to fix healthcare in the USA, but it needs to be done in an open and honest fashion.

I think (Ted Kennedy)would be pleased to see that by breaking the filibuster-proof majority, his elected replacement will force some real bipartisanship on an important issue.

Now maybe Congress can get down to work and do this on CSPAN instead of in a smoke filled room.

It would be nice if that were the result, but that's not what will happen.  The Republicans are against any health care reform whatsoever and will stall this as long as possible.  And with the cloture rules in the Senate, that will likely be forever.

I think the Dems should nut-up and play hardball.  Let the Republicans filibuster for weeks on end and publicize the details as the waste of time and money that a filibuster is.  The emotion that the Republicans have counted on would eventually run its course and they would be on the defensive.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1278 on: January 23, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
I just don't know where else to put this. Move it if it's in the wrong place, oh Powers that Be.

http://www.youtubecn.com/
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

« Reply #1279 on: January 24, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
So, everyone who's still living in China.... What's the deal with Google???

Caught only the end of a news story tonight saying something about Google being either blocked or censord in some way and that it had something to do with the U.S.

Can anyone elighten me? (I'm notorious for only picking up 1/2 stories)  bfbfbfbfbf

Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1280 on: January 26, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
Dictionaries have been removed from classrooms in southern California schools after a parent complained about a child reading the definition for "oral sex".

Merriam Webster's 10th edition, which has been used for the past few years in fourth and fifth grade classrooms (for children aged nine to 10) in Menifee Union school district, has been pulled from shelves over fears that the "sexually graphic" entry is "just not age appropriate", according to the area's local paper.

The dictionary's online definition of the term is "oral stimulation of the genitals". "It's hard to sit and read the dictionary, but we'll be looking to find other things of a graphic nature," district spokeswoman Betti Cadmus told the paper./quote]
Tuff job, but it has to be did!
I always thought dictionaries were there to provide needed information.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/25/oral-sex-dictionary-ban-us-schools

The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1281 on: January 26, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »
It's not April Fool's Day yet!!  Not even in California.

So - all dictionaries and encyclopedias will now be pulled from the school?  Or they could do as the Chinese do and cover up offending entries with white-out or pasted paper.  But even here it is only used for 'T' words.  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk

Love it!!

« Reply #1282 on: January 26, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
Not that I think it will affect many people here in the Saloon but I did just read this story proposing to jail or fine people in China who eat dogs or cats.

China to jail people for up to 15 days who eat dog
By Zhao Chunzhe (chinadaily.com.cn)
China has launched its first draft proposal to protect the country's animals from maltreatment including a measure to jail people who eat dog for up to 15 days, the Chongqing Evening News reported today.

The pilot scheme aims to protect the nation's animal from misuse or injury and defines maltreatment as hurting or killing animals in a cruel manner.

The draft has nine chapters covering major regulations including animal medical treatment, transportation and butchers regulations.

It also proposes that people caught eating dog or cat meat will be detained for no more than 15 days with a fine of 5,000 yuan ($732). Any unit or group found violating the rule will be fined between 10,000 yuan ($1,464) to 500,000 yuan ($73,239).

"It won't impact people's lives because only few people eat the meat of dogs and cats," said Chang Jiwen, a principal drafter.

China National Native Produce & Animal By-Products Import & Export Corporation backed the act saying it will encourage its trade volume of down and cashmere, the report said.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #1283 on: January 27, 2010, 02:18:09 AM »
I don't know how the people in Dongbei will take this. Almost all of my students and colleagues eat dog. It's even served in the campus cafeterias.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1284 on: January 27, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »
Doesn't this refer to swiping random cats and dogs off the street and not farm raised dogs? (Not sure about the farm raised cats though.) Not that I condone eating dog and/or cat meat, but I seem to recall that the dogs are a special breed (although I don't know what kind) specifically farmed for well, you know, a food source.

« Reply #1285 on: January 27, 2010, 04:11:37 AM »
I gather at the moment it is draft legislation so no timeframe at this stage. From what I have read it does seem to be talking about total ban. As a story it has even made the Australian ABC news site.  The following is what they had to say about the story.

China flags scrapping dog meat from menus

Dog and cat meat - age-old delicacies in China - could be off the menu in the food-loving nation under its first law against animal abuse, state press has reported.

People who eat either animal, both of which are viewed as promoting bodily warmth, would face fines of up to 5,000 yuan ($813) and up to 15 days in jail if the law is passed, the Chongqing Evening News said.

It says organisations involved in the practice would be fined from 10,000 to 500,000 yuan.

The law has been at the drafting stage over the past year and the report did not make clear when the legislation was expected to become law.

China's rubber-stamp legislature meets in March but draft legislation can often take years to be approved.

Cruelty to animals and the raising of cat and dog meat for dinner tables remains widespread in China, despite growing consciousness over animal welfare.

Restaurants touting "fragrant meat," a euphemism for dog, can be seen in cities throughout the country, where the fondness for dogs as pets co-exists with a taste for canine meat.

Cat meat is most popular in parts of southern China and there are regular reports of animal lovers attempting to block trucks carrying hundreds or even thousands of cats to meat markets and eventually dinner tables there.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1286 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:15 AM »
Cat meat is most popular in parts of southern China and there are regular reports of animal lovers attempting to block trucks carrying hundreds or even thousands of cats to meat markets and eventually dinner tables there.
aoaoaoaoao  and  ananananan

A-Train

« Reply #1287 on: January 27, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
So they are becoming animal rights activists?  Any irony there?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1288 on: January 29, 2010, 03:31:35 AM »

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1289 on: January 29, 2010, 03:40:31 AM »
Puppies are cuter than people.  Ask the British!