What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
I'm reading my autographed copy of Hessler's new book, Country Driving. Quite amusing thus far.

I'm also looking through some more old copies of the Paris Review. I have Winter/Spring '64, Fall '75, and Summer 2003.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »
Just finished reading Catcher in the Rye to see what all the fuss is about. It was good, but I am past the targeted age group. Moving on to Nine Stories next.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #527 on: March 08, 2010, 06:52:17 PM »
I read half a dozen books over the holidays. Among them were:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. A fascinating study about the intangible things that determine success and mediocrity.

The Siege by Helen Dunmore A really moving novel about a family trying to survive the siege of Leningrad.

« Reply #528 on: March 09, 2010, 01:44:22 AM »
Reading Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol' atm. Writing style has most definitely changed since Da Vinci Code, chapters are short as, very Hollywood movie-like jumps.

Nice to learn about some history and monuments in DC though.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #529 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:09 AM »
Reading Nemesis by Max Hastings about WWII in the Pacific. It's a real eye-opener/myth-buster.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Borkya

« Reply #530 on: March 09, 2010, 02:12:02 AM »
I'm reading Moments in Peking by Lin Yutang. Unfortunately for the book I just got a box from the US filled with magazines, so the book has taken a back seat for the moment. It is quite good though.

ITBOY001

• i work in ShenZhen,,and my home is in ShangHai
« Reply #531 on: March 09, 2010, 03:51:09 AM »
i am reading some Stories of adventure which thrill me.novels about robbing graves r more popular.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #532 on: March 10, 2010, 01:24:55 AM »
Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh.  Vietnam War from the perspective of a North Vietnamese soldier.  An interesting view.

« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2010, 03:04:32 AM »
Puckoon by Spike Milligan. Hilarious. I've read a lot of his books including his war memoirs but i'd never had chance to read this. I'm loving it and will probably be finished in a few more hours.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #534 on: March 11, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones - I'm loving it
"If she says she can do it, then she can do it! She don't make false claims!" - David Bowie

« Reply #535 on: March 13, 2010, 05:14:38 AM »
The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins.  The better sort of Victorian melodrama, and usually classified as one of literature's earliest detective novels.   I'm enjoying it, but my reason for selecting it is mundanely economic:  English language literature here is hard to come by and grossly overpriced, but this book (a Penguin Popular Classics edition) has a torn cover and some marks of being "foxed", and was on special offer at half price (still considerably more expensive than it would have been in Britain).

old34

« Reply #536 on: March 13, 2010, 05:44:25 AM »
"The Early Arrival of Dreams" - Rosemary Mahoney

Heard about it for years, but never ran across it. The new teacher had it with him and asked me if I had ever read it.

"No"

Boom! Weekend reading
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #537 on: March 16, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

I'm not sure what to say about it. A cowboy novel about a nameless kid who falls in with scalp hunters killing their way through Mexico. It's powerful and unsettling and disgusting, but what a book. Well worth reading.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #538 on: March 16, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
Hit the Beijing bookshops yesterday and bought half-a-dozen books. 

I'm halfway through Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink" - very interesting. 

Also bought "The Outliers", plus Xin Ran's "Miss Chopsticks". 

AMonk

« Reply #539 on: March 16, 2010, 02:19:57 PM »
Presently re-reading Flanagan's Run, a novel based on the Bunion Derby of 1928.  Marathon running across the USA. bebebebebe Darn good read.
Moderation....in most things...