What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #435 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
Beady, frilly, lacy...since when did my underwear become so interesting?

Well, sort of  related to the hat, in a way...
They became interesting the night you came to Suzhou, got roaring drunk, stripped naked, pulled your pink beaded underwear on over your head, and went running up and down Shi Quan Jie screaming Turkish political slogans until I managed to fire a tranquilizer dart into you and drag you into a dark alley before the cops had time to respond.

But I suppose you don't remember any of that. bibibibibi

We knew how to party in Suzhou, didn't we? agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #436 on: June 07, 2009, 03:07:07 AM »
We sure did agagagagag agagagagag *pulls out extra pair of pink undies and runs around the Saloon shouting "Atatürk! Atatürk!*

agagagagag agagagagag

Just finished Barnaby Rudge...yes, Dickens...no, Dickens is not boring agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

synthette58

« Reply #437 on: June 07, 2009, 04:00:09 AM »
'Pink' sure is your colour, dude!!
 ahahahahah

« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2009, 01:53:46 AM »
have just started Wild Swans has anyone read it?? tis fairly thick am I wasting my time or is it a good book??
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #439 on: June 16, 2009, 02:34:27 AM »
It's worth a read.

« Reply #440 on: June 16, 2009, 03:04:50 AM »
I read it last year and found it definitely worth the read.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

AMonk

« Reply #441 on: June 16, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »
Finished Simon Green's "Hawk & Fisher" series.  Thank you for the recommendation, MrNobody agagagagag

Presently finishing off Charlaine Harris' "Shakespeare" books (only 1 more to go) ahahahahah Really good, Ladies.  The heroine is a house-cleaner and (now) a karate expert.  Good, clean arse-kicking fun ahahahahah

Awaiting my time/attention is/are Eric Flint's "1632" et al books.
Moderation....in most things...

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #442 on: June 16, 2009, 04:34:39 PM »
 Wild Swans is awesome. So riveting in fact, I read the second half in an entire day.

Currently reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Great characters, brilliantly structured, intruiging plot-the kind of book you want to take your time with, but you just can't because it's too good.

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #443 on: June 16, 2009, 04:43:45 PM »
reading these three books right now;

Disappointment with GOD by Philip Yancey
KOKOLOOGY:  really interesting
LIKE the flwoing river by Paulo Coehlo
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

« Reply #444 on: June 17, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
Been perusing Managing the Dragon that I got at the library.

Sunday I met two Chinese-American writers at a book festival--really friendly and their books sounded interesting, so I bought one of each. Anyway, started Waylaid by Ed Lin--he described it as his "dirty book." About halfway through it now and it's quite dirty and very funny. Supposedly a good bit of it is autobiographical.

Next up will be Wendy Lee's Happy Family (about an illegal Chinese immigrant to NYC).

I was also told by a Chinese woman at the festival that I spoke Chinese better than one of the Chinese authors. The other author speaks much better than I do.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

AMonk

« Reply #445 on: June 17, 2009, 12:28:57 PM »

I was also told by a Chinese woman at the festival that I spoke Chinese better than one of the Chinese authors. The other author speaks much better than I do.

TeeHeeHee ahahahahah ahahahahah bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #446 on: August 02, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »
I am reading Lamb:The Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore. It is quite possibly the funniest book I've read since Hitchkijers Guide the Galaxy. It's a gospel of Christ told by his childhood friend, Biff. In the prologue he is resurrected by an angel in modern day Jersuslaem and spends his time on earth writing his story in a hotel room in St. Louis while the angel watches HBO and orders pizza from room service.

Jesus has some great quotes in this book. For example-"You see the puzzle then? Jealousy makes you feel bad, but God is jealous, so it must be good, yet when a dog licks his balls it seems to enjoy it but it must be bad under the law."

On the back it says, "Verily the story Biff has to tell is miraculous one, filled with remarkable journeys, magic, healings, kung fu, corpse renaimations, demons and hot babes."

I love this book! bfbfbfbfbf

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #447 on: August 03, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
Would add to the kudos for Wild Swans. Awesome book, indeed.

I'm currently reading The Vikings in Britain  by the deservedly obscure British historian H.R. Loyn.

There are many theories concerning the rise of the Vikings from a loosely-confederated group of Scandinavian towns and villages, but as I read along one truth becomes increasingly clear: THIS WAS THE MOST BORING PERIOD/REGION IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF MANKIND. Either that, or the author needs to have his head boiled a bit. awawawawaw

I can only read about a page and a half without snoozing, and I'm still in the background bit describing how the Danes would spend their time raising sheep, brewing and drinking vast amounts of alcohol, and screwing (all activities that can be inter-related to varying extents), only to occasionally erupt into the unimaginable terror of the berserk attacks against such challenging targets as monasteries and isolated Scottish-island fishing villages- a pattern that remains unbroken even today.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #448 on: August 03, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (courtesy of Ruth).....great stuff!

Also just read Angels and Demons, and saw the movie, which they completely ruined  llllllllll
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #449 on: August 03, 2009, 02:32:11 PM »
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I thought A&D was a MUCH better book than DaVinci Code...was looking forward to the movie.