Weather Check

• 1321 replies
Re: Weather Check
« Reply #615 on: June 20, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
Ruth, haha, I'm the same up here! Fan on full here in the office as well as the aircon in the bedroom to provide relief for the rest of the flat. I will confess I am abusing the free electricity I get here though!!

Tomorrow will be a scorcher- 36 by my weather gauge.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #616 on: June 22, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »
Hot, muggy alternating with pissing down in great big buckets. Every day. THis is NOT the good season for Nanning.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Ruth

« Reply #617 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »
A ripper of a storm just blew through here.  Apparently there's a big storm somewhere nearby and we're getting the torrential rain accompanied by electrical and sound effects.  Cooled things down for about 20 minutes so I opened the windows.  Steamy again.  Sigh.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #618 on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:36 PM »
been raining for the past few days in this side of the city here in the philippines but when it the sun comes out, oh dear1 the worst weather because we're sorrounded with beaches bibibibibi
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #619 on: June 22, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »
I have been fairly reliably informed that it is probably Lotus' fault.

The storm, not the person.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #620 on: June 25, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
Thankfully the weather here has cooled down a bit the last couple of days, though I do prefict thunderstorms on both tomorrow and Monday- because I am busy and out and about (and you know Murphy and all that...) ahahahahah
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

AMonk

« Reply #621 on: June 25, 2009, 11:53:58 PM »
 cfcfcfcfcf is having a very wet June.  10 inches, so far this month (average of 5) and it's still coming down!!  kkkkkkkkkk

Mind you, we were over 7 inches below "normal" for the Year....so our water tanks and gardens are happy bfbfbfbfbf

Rain is GOOD!! akakakakak 

But it can stop now... :wtf:
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #622 on: June 26, 2009, 12:19:06 AM »
Must be close to 40 these past few days in Jinan. Need cold beers. agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
Thank god I'm on holidays!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #623 on: June 26, 2009, 05:27:01 AM »
Yeah, pretty unnaturally hot (even for this time of year) in Beijing too. 38 degrees celsius forecast tomorrow.

I wonder if anyone here knows what causes the dust/sand storms in Beijing in March and April?  Is it because it is windier?  Or is it because since there has been like 6 months of drought with virtually no rain by March and April, the soil has become so so dry and desiccated, allowing the wind (though no stronger than at any other time of the year) to carry soil particles and dust and sand into a city like Beijing?
"I've been permanently banned from this place"

AMonk

« Reply #624 on: June 26, 2009, 05:40:28 AM »
Probably a little bit of both afafafafaf
Moderation....in most things...

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #625 on: June 26, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
I remember one of my TCM teachers talking about it. I believe he called it "yellow wind." That's what they call it there, right?   

Explanation here:
http://english.people.com.cn/200605/15/eng20060515_265735.html

Cool video here:
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=sandstorm+inner+mongolia&n=21&ei=UTF-8&js=1&fr=moz2&SpellState=n-1811148661_q-NuZCWb4kg2VzVkcIEi5GbAAAAA%40%40&tnr=20&vid=0001334052030

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #626 on: June 27, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
I think there have always been Spring dust storms in the Mongolian deserts...the winds come with seasonal climate change, just as we get winds when Spring comes to our home countries.

However, the dust storms have become MUCH worse in recent years, in the wake of some really bone-headed agricultural projects and policies that took place back in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Desertification has claimed vast areas of land, and the Mongolian deserts are growing at a staggering rate.

What was once a local phenomenon now covers a lot of North China, and the dusts- easily identified by their high pollutant levels- are being detected as far away as North America.

The Chinese are frantically planting trees, erecting windbreaks, and doing anything else they can think of to try and turn the tide, but so far no real headway has been made. Weather patterns over North China and the Yellow River valley have been cycling into patterns of increasing drought, making the problems even worse... bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
Meanwhile, Oklahoma is already settling into what can only be called the "Oh, F##k" season. We've had several consecutive days of highs over 100F (38C), with many more to come. But it's OK, because it's also terribly humid to match. llllllllll

After about 15 seconds outside, you're making your own gravy in prodigious quantities. Always nice for job-hunting and interviewing. bfbfbfbfbf bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #628 on: June 28, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
Meanwhile, Oklahoma is already settling into what can only be called the "Oh, F##k" season. We've had several consecutive days of highs over 100F (38C), with many more to come. But it's OK, because it's also terribly humid to match. llllllllll

After about 15 seconds outside, you're making your own gravy in prodigious quantities. Always nice for job-hunting and interviewing. bfbfbfbfbf bibibibibi

Welcome to Changsha

« Reply #629 on: June 28, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »

However, the dust storms have become MUCH worse in recent years, in the wake of some really bone-headed agricultural projects and policies that took place back in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Desertification has claimed vast areas of land, and the Mongolian deserts are growing at a staggering rate.

I arrived in Beijing in July 2006.  Apparently, that Spring there were bad sand storms that blew into the city. I was told this by my Chinese MSN contacts before arriving in Beijing, China for the first time.   I understand that in the subsequent 3 years the sand storms, at least, as far as Beijing is concerned, haven't been as bad.  I've been told this by Chinese people.  I've also had first hand experience of this.  I was a teacher in  Huijia college in Changping district, north of Beijing city, from September 2006 to June 2008.  It's a kinda rural area.  I don't know if that means that the government scheme of planting trees is working.  Perhaps, it is, at least so far as Beijing city is concerned.

"I've been permanently banned from this place"