Weather Check

• 1321 replies
Re: Weather Check
« Reply #870 on: October 07, 2010, 02:14:59 AM »
Yes, China is weird because winters in the South are, in some ways, worse than in the North because at least up North there is heating. When I lived in Kunming it never got all that cold, rarely down into the single digits even, and we'd see snow maybe once a year if we were lucky, but I remember it being very cold in the house and the office/classroom, to the point that I would teach wearing my coat quite often, and I wasn't the only one doing this. Outdoors was somehow warmer than indoors a lot of the time. The insulation here is terrible and at least outdoors there would be sunshine.

Up North you have heating in every room, so as long as you stay inside it isn't bad. Outdoors is awful, Beijing's winters are hellish. The temperatures don't get down to Canadian levels or anything but the wind is terrible and you usually have those very crisp winters here which feel extremely cold on top of the winds.

Luckily the weather here has been nice recently, just cool enough for long sleeves, not quite to where you need a jacket, at least while the sun is out. This will probably last another 3 weeks or so before it starts getting cold. Last year we had our first snow on November 1st and I don't want a repeat, winter lasted forever it seemed.

old34

« Reply #871 on: October 07, 2010, 03:59:13 AM »
Stil lobbed this softball:
IIf i spend a lot of time at my desktop computer my mouse hand will start going numb with cold.

How does the other hand fare?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #872 on: October 07, 2010, 04:17:11 AM »
 bfbfbfbfbf

xwarrior

« Reply #873 on: October 07, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »
the problem is that there is no place to get warm

I agree - that is the real problem. Back home you felt you could endure the outside conditions because once you got inside any building you could get warm again.

PS  bgbgbgbgbg   There seems to be lot of weather in China - more than we get back home in New Zealand.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

AMonk

« Reply #874 on: October 07, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »
....Sorry I don't have any tips for keeping warm when the power is off....

What about kerosene heaters and/or hot water bottles?
Moderation....in most things...

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
« Reply #875 on: October 07, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »
Ah, I will try to prepare as best I can, tho I have a feeling only in experiencing it will I know what I need. So, okay, is there not one redeemable thing that winter brings?
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

« Reply #876 on: October 07, 2010, 11:55:15 PM »
Well, the only redeemable thing is that winter happens and then spring follows.   bjbjbjbjbj

The cold cold cold cold south of China is why I happily live in the north.   agagagagag agagagagag 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

xwarrior

« Reply #877 on: October 08, 2010, 12:00:20 AM »

is there not one redeemable thing that winter brings?

Not one - now that you can watch international rugby played on just about very month of the year
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #878 on: October 08, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »

So, okay, is there not one redeemable thing that winter brings?

You can go out and enjoy beautiful sunny days unlike in summer when it's over 40C.

There's a camaraderie of everyone suffering together.

Drinking to keep warm.

Eating to keep warm.

Cuddling to keep warm.   bhbhbhbhbh

Winter food, like hot pots and dog stews.

People are less grumpy.

Foot washes, hair washes, massages are all better in winter.

Less crowds

The # best thing about winter

China smells better in the winter.

It's cold but the only real problems are that it takes forever for your clothes to dry on a line and you have no chance at 'winning' with a Chinese girl playing strip poker.

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
« Reply #879 on: October 08, 2010, 07:38:05 PM »
My plan is to have a mini-freakout, and over inflate it in my mind. So, eventually I'm seeing a post-apocalyptic city scape, littered with the frozen remains of mastadons and sabre tooth tigers. A hellish, barren place where people are reduced to hunting in packs, and wearing woolly mammoth furs for protection from the harsh winds, with frozen icicles hanging from the ends of their noses. Kind of like 'The Day After Tomorrow." So, in the end, I can say, well, it's really, really bad, but at least society hasn't collapsed.
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #880 on: October 08, 2010, 11:31:55 PM »
My plan is to have a mini-freakout, and over inflate it in my mind. So, eventually I'm seeing a post-apocalyptic city scape, littered with the frozen remains of mastadons and sabre tooth tigers. A hellish, barren place where people are reduced to hunting in packs, and wearing woolly mammoth furs for protection from the harsh winds, with frozen icicles hanging from the ends of their noses. Kind of like 'The Day After Tomorrow." So, in the end, I can say, well, it's really, really bad, but at least society hasn't collapsed.

Naaaw, that's the countryside. We're in the city.

Monkey King

« Reply #881 on: October 09, 2010, 01:02:48 AM »
Here in Shanghai we are currently in the golden period between the inescapable humid summer heat and the creeping damp winter cold.  it's lovely, warm, crisp and clear right now, but I got my thick extra blanket and winter clothes at the ready.  Still have the windows open, not sure for how long.  It's going to be freezing any day.

« Reply #882 on: October 12, 2010, 04:53:06 AM »
I think winter might be coming early this year...

We had maximum temperatures for most of last week (Wednesday to Saturday) around 23C, a maximum of 13C on Sunday and today (despite a forecast yesterday of around 14C) we reached a "warm" 8C at 9am this morning and then spent the rest of the day getting slowly colder. It was 4C for most of the afternoon.  We look like having our first negative night tonight and on the current forecasts (all revised down from what they predicted yesterday) will get colder as this week goes on. 

But I guess that the true guide for when winter starts really is when they decide to turn on the heating in our apartments ... and they actually turned our heating on tonight.  Which I guess means they believe the forecast which could see us down to -9C later this week.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #883 on: October 12, 2010, 05:29:56 AM »
Oh wow, TA it is too early in the season to be that cold!

We had a cold snap come in last night as well here in Beijing. It rained all night and then today was decidedly cooler. I feel like real cold weather is just around the corner, so I guess I have an incentive to go buy my kids their winter wardrobes.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #884 on: October 12, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
Donguan keeps hovering between "turn on the AC" vs. "open all the windows".
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com