What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #540 on: May 29, 2008, 02:12:38 AM »
What's worse re the Stone comment is that the students are reporting it to me that she said that all the Chinese should have been killed in it!

« Reply #541 on: May 29, 2008, 02:37:17 AM »
Chinese whispers...gotta love them. I wonder if Mrs. Stone considered New Orleans, Myanmar and other places when she made that comment?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #542 on: May 29, 2008, 04:39:03 AM »
...??...AIDS and gays...??...
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #543 on: May 29, 2008, 04:46:56 AM »
As I recall, religious zealots and even some politicians did call AIDS God's way of punishing homosexuals...which leads to the question of what everyone else did wrong to have to endure Elton John?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #544 on: May 29, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »
(activating fake Jamaican accent) Hey mon, forget about that stupid woman named Stone and get really stoned, compliments of those really nice people in Japan.   zzzzzzzzzz

Tue May 27, 11:07 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - One of the travelers who arrived at Tokyo's Narita airport over the weekend may have picked up an unusual souvenir from customs -- a package of cannabis.

A customs official hid the package in a suitcase belonging to a passenger arriving from Hong Kong as a training exercise for sniffer dogs Sunday, but lost track of both drugs and suitcase during the practice session, a spokeswoman for Tokyo customs said.

Customs regulations specify that a training suitcase be used for such exercises, but the official said he had used passengers' suitcases for similar purposes in the past, domestic media reported.

"The dogs have always been able to find it before," NHK quoted him as saying. "I became overconfident that it would work."

Anyone who finds the package should contact Tokyo customs as soon as possible, the spokeswoman said.

(Reporting by Isabel Reynolds; editing by Sophie Hardach)
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #545 on: May 29, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »
Right, and who is going to call the Customs official and hand over free weed?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »
I'm jealous that someone came up with this idea before I did.   bibibibibi

HK, China customs crack high-wire smuggling act: report

AFP  Thu May 29, 3:35 AM ET

HONG KONG (AFP) - Hong Kong and Chinese customs have cracked an audacious smuggling operation that saw millions of dollars in goods ferried across the border along a long cable, officials and reports said Thursday.

Sixteen people -- four from Hong Kong and 12 from China -- were arrested and electronic goods, including computer accessories and mobile phones, worth more than six million Hong Kong dollars (0.8 million US) were seized.

"The ring was suspected of smuggling high-value electronic goods and computer accessories across the Sha Tau Kok river to the mainland," Hong Kong's customs department said in a statement.

A 300-metre-long cable was suspended between a house in rural Hong Kong and a high-rise building in the Chinese city of Shenzhen, allowing smugglers to move goods into the mainland using an elaborate pulley system, the South China Morning Post reported.

"There were many ways of smuggling in the past, such as by underground drains," the report quoted Leo Sin, head of Hong Kong's customs intelligence co-ordination group, as saying.

"But this is the first time we have found wire being used for smuggling."

The cable was shot across the border using a crossbow and the goods were ferried across at night in black plastic bags, the report said.

The syndicate had been operating for two or three weeks, the report added.

Hong Kong and mainland China run independent legal and taxation systems, and smugglers often try to take advantage of different prices and tax rates to smuggle goods either in or out of China.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #547 on: May 30, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »
Quality!
It is too early to say.

« Reply #548 on: May 30, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
I know we have to take the UK's Daily Wail with a pinch of salt, but this article is quite alarming.

Basically a lot people in the uK are getting sick of the way that the police are always harrassing people over relatively minor 'crimes' while real scumbags/knifers/rapists/etc get off more or less scot free.

Middle classes losing faith in 'rude' police who go for soft targets instead of the real criminals

The middle classes have lost confidence in the police, a stark report has warned.

They fear they have been alienated by a service which routinely targets ordinary people rather than serious criminals, simply to fill Government crime quotas.

The attitude of some officers has also led to spiralling complaints about neglect of duty and rudeness.

Enlarge    The report warns that the middle classes have been alienated by a service which targets ordinary people rather than serious criminals

The report from the Civitas think-tank says incidents which would once have been ignored are now treated as crimes  -  including a case of children chalking a pavement.

Its author, respected journalist Harriet Sergeant, says she was also told of a student being arrested, held for five hours and cautioned for keeping a London Underground lift door open with his foot.

The report warns that a generation of young people - the police's favourite soft targets - are being criminalised, putting their future prospects at risk.

Journalist Harriet Sergeant is the report's author and she says that a generation of young people are the police's favourite targets
Some offences being prosecuted are now so minor that senior officers have even begun talks with the U.S. authorities to prevent such a 'criminal record' stopping decent citizens obtaining a visa to cross the Atlantic.

Meanwhile responses to crimes such as burglary are slow and statements given by victims of serious crime are often left lying idle for months, the report warns.

An apparent emphasis on motoring crimes is another negative factor.

Miss Sergeant warns: 'The loss of public confidence is a serious matter.

The police cannot police without the backing of society. Without trust and consensus it is very difficult and costly to maintain law and order.'

Her report says: 'Complaints against the police have risen, with much of the increase coming from law-abiding, middle-class, middle-aged and retired people who no longer feel the police are on their side.'

In 2006-7, there were 29,637 complaints - the most since records began 17 years ago.

Miss Sergeant said this was due in part to the law-abiding middle-classes becoming upset by the 'rudeness and behaviour' of officers.

The report details how officers are expected to reach a certain number of 'sanction detections' a month by charging, cautioning or fining an 'offender'.

\Arresting or fining someone for a trifling offence - such as a child stealing a Mars bar - is a good way of hitting the target and pleasing the Home Office.

Amazingly, the chocolate theft ranks as highly as catching a killer.

Miss Sergeant says performance-related bonuses of between £10,000 and £15,000 a year for police commanders depend partly on reaching such targets.

This leads them to put pressure on frontline officers to make arrests for the most minor misdemeanours.

Officers said at the end of a month, when there was pressure to hit the target for that period, they would pursue young men as the most likely 'offenders'.

'Crimes' investigated by police have been criticised by the middle classes

Offences could include scrawling a name on a bus stop in felt-tip or playing ball games in the street.
One officer was so concerned he told his teenage son to be careful at the end of each month.

The pamphlet, parts of which were serialised by the Daily Mail earlier this year, says the police themselves are angry at the way they have to 'make fools of themselves'.

There were high levels of 'bitterness and frustration' and the targets were 'bitterly resented'.

One officer told how he was pressed to charge children playing with a tree with 'harassment'.
The same offence was used against a drunken student dancing in flowerbeds, who aimed a kick at a flower.

While some of the examples may be antisocial behaviour, it's ridiculous that there are people being knifed in London and the police seem powerless to do anything about it.

Then there was an even more ridiculous case of a woman who had a paddling pool in her garden and got told it was illegal to have it unless she hired a lifeguard.  I kid you not.

And we call China the Big Silly...

It is too early to say.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #549 on: June 02, 2008, 11:38:10 AM »
Just in time to help the London police quota for the end of May...

Transport chaos as Londoners party on Tube before alcohol ban

Sat May 31, 7:09 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - The London transport system was heavily disrupted late Saturday as thousands of revellers held an unauthorised "drinks party" on underground trains before an alcohol ban went into effect.

The key Circle Line which serves some of the capital's most exclusive districts was shut down as thousands of people gathered for a booze-up on Tube trains after being rallied by social networking websites.

"There are problems on the Circle Line and it has been stopped," a London Transport Police spokesman said.

David Mudkips, a 25-year-old computer programmer, described the experience on one of the trains packed with revellers as: "Like rush hour but fun. There were people's sweaty armpits in my face but I didn't care because I was drinking."

Police made at least six arrests as the behaviour of the crowds became increasingly boisterous.

Thousands of people had signed up for the party on Facebook sites with names like "The Booze Tube" and "One Final Tube Booze Party".

From Sunday, anyone caught drinking from, or even carrying, open containers of alcohol will be ejected from trains and buses.

Newly elected London Mayor Boris Johnson introduced the alcohol ban in one of his first acts in office.

Johnson said: "I firmly believe that banning the drinking of alcohol on London's public transport will create a better travelling environment for all Londoners and that if we drive out anti-social behaviour and so called minor crime then we will be able to get a firm grip on more serious crime."

The ban has been criticised by the railworkers' union RMT as another burden on its overworked members.

The union's general secretary Bob Crow warned it could put staff in greater danger of assault.

"Violence against Tube staff is already a major problem, particularly from people who have been drinking, but now our members will be expected to approach people drinking and stop them or even remove them from the train or station," he said.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #550 on: June 03, 2008, 01:26:35 AM »
Oh oh Eric, watch out!

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - An apparent car bomb exploded outside the Danish embassy in Pakistan's capital on Monday, killing at least five people and wounding dozens more, officials and witnesses said.

The blast echoed through Islamabad and left a crater more than three feet deep in the road in front of the embassy. Shattered glass, fallen masonry and dozens of wrecked vehicles littered the area. A plume of smoke rose above the scene as people, some bloodied, ran back and forth in a state of panic.

The explosion appeared to be a car bomb, police officer Muhammad Ashraf said. Someone parked a car in front of the embassy and it exploded at around 1 p.m, he said.

Officials at two hospitals reported at least five people — including two policemen — were killed and 32 wounded in the blast.

Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Moeller said the explosion killed a male Pakistani custodian at the embassy and seriously injured a handyman. Two office workers were also injured, Moeller said.

He condemned the attack as "totally unacceptable."

"It is terrible that terrorists do this. The embassy is there to have a cooperation between the Pakistani population and Denmark, and that means they are destroying that," Moeller told Denmark's TV2 News channel.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Al-Qaida No. 2 Ayman al-Zawahri recently called for attacks on Danish targets in response to the publication of caricatures in Danish newspapers depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

Denmark has faced threats at its embassies following the reprinting in Danish newspapers of a caricature depicting the Prophet Muhammad. Muslims generally consider depicting the prophet to be sacrilegious and Islamic militants had warned of reprisals.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #551 on: June 03, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »
Yeah, yeah, my boss is all jittery about it. I had to finish a most delightful conversation with Bugalugs to go deal with the issue.
I really could not care less. So they blew up a bomb near the Danish embassy. Big whoop. That's what we get for being so deliriously stupid to publish satirical drawings of Muhammed, twice! If you come across a rattlesnake, the prudent person does not prod it with a stick, because it would be stupid, same thing goes for pissing of that little group of fanatic zealots called Islamists.

« Reply #552 on: June 04, 2008, 11:58:25 PM »
Exit interview
China and the West
A Chinese ambassador's unique Canadian experience
Last Updated: Monday, June 2, 2008 by Ira Basen CBC News

It was the summer of 1973 and the slumbering Chinese giant was slowly awakening. At home, the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution was in its seventh year. Many of its murderous excesses were still to come. Internationally, China was beginning to open its doors to the world.

In this, Canada was leading the way. It officially recognized the People's Republic in the fall of 1970. Fifteen months later, U.S. President Richard Nixon made his surprise visit, unexpectedly toasting Chinese leaders in Beijing's Great Hall of the People.

Then, on May 1, 1973, nine Chinese students arrived at Ottawa's Uplands airport and made history. They were the first students from Communist China to ever study at a North American university.

Ira Basen, centre, with two of China's first foreign exchange students in Ottawa in 1973: Zhang Yuan-Yuan (left) and Yuan Hsiao-Ying. In an exchange agreement, nine Chinese students would study in Canada and a group of Canadian students would be given the extraordinary opportunity to attend university in China.

Carleton University was the chosen destination for the Chinese students, possibly so they could not stray too far from the watchful eye of the embassy in Ottawa.

I was an undergraduate student at Carleton in 1973, looking for a summer job, and while I knew almost nothing about China, I was fortunate enough to be hired by the university to help these exchange students get acclimatized to Canadian life and prepare for the academic year to come.

It was an experience that changed all our lives.

Stereotypes undone
Like most Canadians, the only image I had of Chinese students then was of the millions of fanatic young people roaming the countryside holding high their little red books containing the collected wisdom of Chairman Mao and railing against "capitalist roaders."

But these students, five men, four women, all in their early 20s, were nothing like the stereotypes, except perhaps for their clothes. Their baggy, blue cotton "Mao jackets" or more formal suits and ties caused them to stand out wherever they went in Ottawa that summer.

Clearly, their selection was not random. They were all bright, reasonably proficient in English and had participated in the Cultural Revolution, spending time working in the countryside with "the people." But they were also modest, unfailingly polite, eager to learn and, while supportive of their government, relatively apolitical and candid about the failings of their own economy.

We spent the summer attending lectures on history, literature, art, economics and philosophy, and discussing ideas they had never been exposed to. We went to movies, art galleries, museums and concerts and learned the intricacies of eating Western food with a fork in a university cafeteria.

Their lack of knowledge about the West was occasionally staggering. In the summer of 1973 they were still unaware that a man had walked on the moon four years earlier.

Several months later, I went off to graduate school and lost track of these students, though I often wondered what became of them. That question was answered a couple of years ago when I saw that one of them, Lu Shumin, was back in Ottawa. This time, though, he was the Chinese ambassador to Canada.

Ambassador Lu
It turns out Lu had returned to Ottawa once before, in the late 1970s, to work as a translator at the Chinese embassy. He then began his climb up the diplomatic ladder, with postings in Australia and Washington, before becoming the ambassador to Indonesia in 2002.

Lu Shumin, the ambassador to Canada from the People's Republic of China in a November 2006 photo. (Jonathan Hayward/Canadian Press)
Three years later, he was back in Ottawa, this time to oversee the embassy that had overseen him 30 years earlier. It should have been a relatively easy posting, a chance to reconnect with old friends and oversee a now burgeoning trade relationship between the two countries. But it didn't quite work out that way.

When Stephen Harper became prime minister in February 2006, he ended years of quiet, behind-the-scenes diplomacy with China by openly declaring that he would not sell out those fighting for human rights "to the almighty dollar."

Harper's government publicly clashed with the Chinese over T, Taiwan and imprisoned dissident Huseyin Celil as well as the persecution of the religious sect Falun Gong. The prime minister even declared in Parliament that there were a thousand Chinese government agents in Canada involved in industrial espionage, a charge angrily denied by the embassy.

Exit interview
Two months ago, relations hit a new low as many Canadians were outraged by the scenes of Chinese troops cracking down on supporters of the Dalai Lama on the streets of T.

The Harper government condemned the Chinese administration. At the Chinese embassy in Ottawa, ambassador Lu responded with a public relations offensive of his own that was extraordinary for a Chinese diplomat: He made himself available for interviews to the Canadian media and even invited reporters to the embassy for a news conference where he railed against the "Dalai clique" and the Tan "splitists," whom he compared to the Nazis.

He came across as an articulate but not particularly sympathetic defender of the Chinese position.

A few weeks later, the Chinese government announced that Lu Shumin's time in Canada was coming to an end. One Ottawa newspaper announced the news with the headline "Embattled Chinese Ambassador Lu Shumin to Return Home."

Lu Shumin, far right, as an exchange student with the Kealey family of Ottawa in 1973. He would later become China's ambassador to Canada. (Courtesy Kealey family)
I had visited with Lu a couple of times since his return to Ottawa and when I heard about his impending departure I asked him if he would care to do an "exit interview," to reflect on the end of his 35-year association with Canada.

He didn't appear "embattled" when I met him late one afternoon at the embassy in Ottawa in early May 2008. Earlier in the day he had been honoured at a luncheon hosted by the federal minister of international trade, David Emerson, where all the correct words were exchanged. Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day had attended a farewell reception at the embassy just the previous week.

Lu said his departure was simply part of the normal diplomatic rotation and not related to his problems with the Canadian government or his openness with the press. As a diplomat, you have to be prepared to pull up stakes every few years, he said. But he admitted that this move left him with feelings of "sweet sorrow.

"I feel very satisfied that I have very many friends here and that is the most precious thing I cherish."

Crossing centuries
I asked Lu what stood out about his arrival in Ottawa 35 years earlier. His reply was that he and the other students felt as if they had arrived in a different universe, so great were the differences between 20th century urban Canada and what was effectively still a 19th century peasant society.

Even crossing an Ottawa street back then was an adventure. "When you looked at people here living in much larger houses and they could go anywhere in their cars, that was certainly a striking contrast. Back home we were all on bicycles and a home was maybe one room with three generations of a single family all under one roof or maybe in one or two rooms."

By the time Lu returned to Canada in 2005, the streets of Ottawa had gotten busier, but the changes here were insignificant compared to the transformation that China had undergone.

The capitalist roaders who had been denounced during the Cultural Revolution were now being hailed as economic saviours. And that was not all that was different.

"I can remember when I was in Carleton," he recalls, "we would go to the grocery store to buy something. There were some things made in China but it was always low grade. But now it's different. You go to the shops and if you want to find something that is not made in China it is very difficult and the quality is high grade."

Lu is clearly proud of the economic progress China has made over the past three decades. But he also understands it has resulted in some significant changes in the way Canadians view his country.

In the 1970s, it was easy for people in Canada to cheer for the Chinese, to hope that out of all their political turmoil they would find a way to provide food, clothes and shelter for hundreds of millions of people living in abject poverty.

But now that China has become an economic powerhouse, it is often no longer seen as the sympathetic underdog. Instead, many here see it as contributing to Canada's economic woes, a low-wage magnet attracting manufacturing jobs once held by Canadians.

The good life
Lu Shumin thinks that criticism, as well as many of the others levied against China today, is unfair.

Time and again he returns to the same two refrains: The first is that there can be no double standard. Canadians cannot argue that it is okay for them to have high-paying jobs and drive their cars wherever they want while denying the same rights to the Chinese.

And second, Canadians are uninformed about his country. If they would take the time to learn the facts about T, Darfur, the environment, human rights and all the rest, they would arrive at different conclusions, he argues.

I suggest to him that one of the things that Canadians find most puzzling about China today is how the government seems to overreact to almost every situation.

Neither the Dalai Lama nor Taiwan nor Falun Gong appears to pose any real threat to the Chinese leadership, yet Beijing behaves in every case as if it did. "It's like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer," I tell him.

He responds that a better understanding of Chinese history and development might lead me to the opposite conclusion, that China continues to be threatened by forces that are trying to destroy it and that the government must protect the human rights of the majority by dealing firmly with those groups who are trying to tear the country apart.

"But," I ask him, "isn't the tough response out of proportion to the actual threat?"

He smiles, "There was a riot after the hockey game in Montreal and even the police had to come out and arrest the rioters. Do you think that is kind of tough? I think it is not whether it is tough or not, it is law enforcement and the measures taken by the government were appropriate to what has happened."

Goodbye to the past
After our interview ended, Lu presented me with a Beijing Olympic pin. Three days later, he and his wife, whom he met 30 years ago while she was an exchange student at York University, left Ottawa for the Special Administrative Region of Macao, where Lu was to take up his new posting.

His return to Ottawa had clearly not gone as smoothly as he had anticipated. It's unlikely he will ever be back in any official capacity.

He had arrived in the 1970s amidst the heady optimism of China's opening up to the world. He leaves this time having experienced the more sober realities of the political and economic differences that have emerged between the two countries.

His relationship to Canada was unique. Most diplomats come to Ottawa with only a passing knowledge of this country and its people. Lu Shumin was different.

This was, in many respects, his second home, a place where he had his eyes opened to the possibilities of the Western experience.

He readily acknowledges that he will miss us. The many Canadians he befriended over the past 35 years will clearly miss him as well.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »
Aid in and out.

China's secret Pacific aid hike

Sian Powell | June 12, 2008

GROUND-BREAKING Australian research has uncovered the extent of China's secretive aid program in the Pacific - estimated to have grown almost nine-fold since 2005, to $US293million ($309 million) last year.

Lowy Institute research associate Fergus Hanson, who has spent months delving into China's aid program, said yesterday that although China received $US1.76 billion in assistance in 2005, the nation had been busily pledging and disbursing aid around the world, particularly in the Pacific.

"The main driver of Chinese aid to the region remains halting and reversing diplomatic recognition of Taiwan," Mr Hanson told a Lowy Institute audience in Sydney yesterday. "China regards Taiwan as a renegade province, and has for several decades waged a largely successful battle to wrest diplomatic recognition from 'the other China'. This battle remains particularly intense in the Pacific."

China aids eight developing Pacific Island Forum nations that recognise its sovereignty - the Cook Islands, Fiji, Micronesia, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga and Vanuatu.

Mr Hanson, formerly a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade diplomat, said China's aid program was wrapped in secrecy. This had unfortunate consequences, including fuelling suspicion among nations getting the aid, inhibiting donor co-ordination and undermining efforts to promote good governance and accountability.

Much of the Chinese aid went into infrastructure projects, which could "have high maintenance costs and be poorly designed for local conditions".

The projects were funded with concessional loans, which increased the Pacific states' debt, Mr Hanson said, and the Chinese funds were often allocated to Chinese contractors, who used Chinese labour to build the projects, cutting flow-on benefits to the local economies.

The projects were often poorly targeted and included large houses for the heads of state and chief justices.

Mr Hanson said a combined courthouse and police headquarters in the Cook Islands was built with the signage in Mandarin, making repairs difficult, and a television tower in Niue was constructed with materials unsuited to Pacific conditions, and would have to be rebuilt.

He concluded that China's aid budget for pledged aid projects in the Pacific was $US33million in 2005, grew to $US78million in 2006 and then to $US293million last year.

He said this was more than New Zealand's aid budget for the Pacific, but was less than Australia's, which was $US560million in 2006-07.

But Mr Hanson said the $US293million estimate included several large multi-year loans, which could artificially inflate the aid totals.

He concluded that a realistic estimate of Chinese aid in the Pacific, excluding concessional loans, was between $US100million and $US150 million.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #554 on: June 13, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »
If Australia had the brains that New Zealand has, there would be no gaps for the Chinese to jump into, in the South Pacific! Australian Governments have been patronising the Pacific for yonks. Ratbag Ruddock even told the Pacific Islanders that if they sunk because of global warming, they would still have to stand in line at the Immigration Counter.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/