Encryption

• 19 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Encryption
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 12:18:53 AM »
These are the same people who put "Professional Driver, Closed Course, Do Not Attempt" messages on any car commercial which shows the car in motion.  Before they are done, it will be safe for toddlers to play in traffic on an expressway or to wander around inside a steel foundry.  It's the ultimate nanny state - everyone gets protected like toddlers in need of close nanny supervision.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »
Governments and organizations have an interest in my data, but I don't think they have a right to it. Obviously, citizens can align themselves with their government or organization's interests and they can offer to show off their data for free, but any attempt by their government or organization to mandate inspection of all data is inappropriate. So, for instance, breaking encryption standards so that law enforcement can "look inside" whenever they want is wrong.

Is there any analogous technology out there? Are there, for instance, banking systems that local law enforcement cannot access even when they have legitimate suspicion of law breaking? Are there impenetrable housing materials for doors and walls that local law enforcement cannot breach? Are such things morally wrong? Should bullet proof vests receive censure because they enable robbery?

How about guns? Pedophiles don't use them, I guess, but rapists and terrorists do.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »
Governments and organizations have an interest in my data, but I don't think they have a right to it. Obviously, citizens can align themselves with their government or organization's interests and they can offer to show off their data for free, but any attempt by their government or organization to mandate inspection of all data is inappropriate. So, for instance, breaking encryption standards so that law enforcement can "look inside" whenever they want is wrong.

But how will law enforcement be sure you aren't working for a drug cartel to finance your terrorist activities if they don't have full access to your phone and computer records?

Soon enough, you'll need a license to have a phone.  Part of the application will be an agreement to always be monitored.  After all, maybe you aren't doing anything illegal or dangerous now, but that could change.

Once that's in place, the next license will be for internet access.

Is there any analogous technology out there? Are there, for instance, banking systems that local law enforcement cannot access even when they have legitimate suspicion of law breaking? Are there impenetrable housing materials for doors and walls that local law enforcement cannot breach? Are such things morally wrong? Should bullet proof vests receive censure because they enable robbery?

At least one bank robbery did involve bullet proof vests.  Let's restrict them today!

How about guns? Pedophiles don't use them, I guess, but rapists and terrorists do.

What?  You want to allow guns?  What if a terrorist pedophile gets a gun?  Are you supporting terrorist pedophiles over non-terrorist pedophiles?  This sort of thing is why you need to be closely monitored. uuuuuuuuuu

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »
Once that's in place, the next license will be for internet access.

You know what, I don't think that one's too far fetched. I don't actually know anything about encryption, but for instance PGP uses a combination of public and private keys. The keys are code keys, like sig files, almost, I believe, and you generally maintain a single private key. Thus, an actual global system of encrypted communication could actually come into being if everyone went online only with their own private key in hand. It'd serve as a digital signature, an encryption key, and.......... your license. Which a government could make rules about.

I just made that up. I don't know if the technology works that way. Surely it's the next step though. Right now "real name" signups exist and they rely on offline credentials, like ID cards. Next up, personal encryption keys.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
These are the same people who put "Professional Driver, Closed Course, Do Not Attempt" messages on any car commercial which shows the car in motion.  Before they are done, it will be safe for toddlers to play in traffic on an expressway or to wander around inside a steel foundry.  It's the ultimate nanny state - everyone gets protected like toddlers in need of close nanny supervision.

Less warning signs. Let's let nature weed some out shall we? Who really needs a "caution: hot" sticker on their stove?

@CP: A more cynical person might also think that the longer Apple holds out the longer they stay in the news, and no publicity is bad publicity. But one would have to be jaded to have a thought like that, a real ass.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung