What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2007, 01:24:23 AM »
The Dopod looks good and I really wanted to get one until I read this

I admit, non-D, that I have the urge to rub the device all over my naked body.

I don't want one anymore.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2007, 01:30:58 AM »
I've got one of the new HTC Touch's (after upgrading from the Dopod 818Pro) and I really don't know what the Apple hype is about. This phone is the bomb! - and it's got the same style of finger sliding navigation as the iPhone.

Unlike the Apple, however, you can do pretty much anything you want with it. Check it out here: http://www.htctouch.com/ 

ND, are you running pleco on the touch? what's the performance like?
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2007, 04:58:20 AM »
Pleco's running okay on it. I'm waiting for the new release from them which should be totally problem free on WM6 - but I haven't had any problems so far - and I use it daily.

It's also running MapKing GPS software, surfs the net at Starbucks and takes a mean picture.

Con, rub away buddy! Sanitary rubber condom-like devices are available. I thought they were to protect the phone from dirt, water, etc., now I understand what they are really for. Knock yourself out (just not with mine!)
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2007, 01:23:12 AM »
Not a fan of the dopod. Had plenty of issues with it. Won't buy the product again.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

George

• My view of China
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

AMonk

« Reply #260 on: October 27, 2007, 11:25:25 PM »
OUCH!!!!

But does this mean that PRC can expect a rash/rush of Ozzie teachers arriving to fill posts in the not-too-distant future??

Hhhhmmmmmm.....!!
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:46 PM »
Probably.  Cheaper to fly here then back home.  There will be Canadians and Americans also out of work!!
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2007, 04:41:17 AM »
In a bulletin to 1300 Australian Nova staff issued last night, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said that for a limited period, Qantas would offer a reduced fare for Australian Nova employees wishing to return to Australia.

"There are limits as to how much we can become involved as it is a private employment issue under the jurisdiction of the Japanese legal system," the statement said.

This is what I thought was the interesting bit. So - beware - no real help from the Embassy if you get caught by a dodgy school.

Newbs

« Reply #263 on: October 28, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »
Copy on that Lotus.  They're between a rock and a hard place.  Okay, maybe a very cautious person would have put away something for the airfare home, but not many people are really like that.  If Australians had a government that was concerned about Australians, (and, after November 25th that might just be the case) then they would be having discussions with the Japanese government about short visa extensions, whilst arranging emergency flights home, none of this "Qantas discount" bullshit.

I must disclose that one of my sons worked for Nova, but he quit last August.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »
One of my daughters decided that after she finished her 1st degree she needed a break before she headed for the next one, and wanted MONEY so she too headed the Nova route - but that was several years ago.  She enjoyed it, but also felt the classes were too structured, the rules too inflexible (NO fraternisation with the students outside class) and ended up working a 2nd job for fun. Her view was that NOVA was also not the best paying company in Japan.

What interests me about this is that if a company like Nova can go belly up, then what is happening to the ESL market in Japan - and what will be the flow on for other countries? If the other schools don't pick up the teachers, then that indicates that the students aren't flowing into those programs either.

It might be interesting to consider long term prospects here if that's what you are about.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »
Facing staff shortages in Iraq, the US State Department has announced that diplomats would have no choice but to accept one-year postings in the hostile environment or face losing their jobs. The department said about 250 "prime candidates" for vacant Iraqi posts would be notified tomorrow. They would have 10 working days to respond to the demand that they go to Iraq, and only those with valid reasons not to would be exempt. Until now, Iraq postings have been voluntary.

Conscription in the Diplomatic Service??
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Acjade

« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2007, 12:29:48 PM »
FOREIGN teachers stranded by the collapse of Japan's largest language school claim they are broke and being fed by their students, as media revealed a secret bedroom and opulent offices enjoyed by the firm's founder.

Nova Corp, which ran 900 language schools, filed for court protection from creditors last week, leaving thousands of mostly foreign employees unpaid and students without the lessons they paid for.

"I have a couple of thousand yen ($20) left in the bank. I am expecting an eviction notice any day," Kristen Moon, a teacher from the US, told a news conference in Tokyo, at which she appeared as a pink rabbit character that Nova used in advertising.

Australian Natasha Steele was on the verge of tears as she said her students were feeding her.

Nova teachers were employed on one-year contracts and many had not worked long enough to get unemployment benefits, union official Louis Carlet said.

Former company president Nozomu Sahashi paid himself 310 million yen ($A2.94 million) for the year to March 2006, Kyodo news agency said, compared with about 3 million yen ($A28,450) for an instructor — about a third below the average annual wage in Japan.

Mr Sahashi's lavish 300-square-metre personal office in Osaka was opened to media this week, revealing a hidden apartment complete with a bedroom, hot tub and sauna. REUTERS

« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2007, 04:23:19 AM »
Hollywood writers go on strikeStory Highlights
NEW: Writers and studios break off talks as writers walk out on strike

Studios stockpile movie scripts as prime-time TV completes shows in hand

The studios say the demands are unreasonable

Late-night comedy shows would take immediate hit in writers' strike

Next Article in Entertainment »

Read  VIDEO

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The strike by Hollywood writers is on. Writers and studios broke off talks late Sunday after 11 hours of negotiations.

A man loads picket signs into a van Sunday at the Writers Guild of America headquarters in Los Angeles, California.

1 of 2  The talks between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers were called by a federal mediator. The producers said a deal couldn't be reached.

The writers want more money from the sale of DVDs and a share of revenue generated by the sale of TV shows and films over the Internet. The studios say the demands are unreasonable and will hamper attempts to experiment with new media.

Picketing starts in the morning in New York and Los Angeles.

The walkout will affect late-night talk shows first, then daytime talk shows and soap operas. Studios have stockpiled movie scripts and prime-time TV has completed shows in hand to last until early next year.

Hollywood writers and studio representatives held last-ditch negotiations Sunday in an effort to prevent a strike, the writers union said.

A federal mediator called the meeting between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television producers at an undisclosed location.

Don't Miss
Union: Members can honor picket lines if writers strike
Reality shows loom
The first picket lines are scheduled to form at New York's Rockefeller Center, followed by picket lines at various locations in Los Angeles, the guild said.

The studios say the demands are unreasonable and would hamper attempts to experiment with new media.  Watch a report on the dispute »

The last time Hollywood writers went on strike was in 1988. The walkout lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry about $500 million.

WGA board members voted unanimously Friday to begin the strike unless studios offered a more lucrative deal. The two sides have been meeting since July.

"The studios made it clear that they would rather shut down this town than reach a fair and reasonable deal," Patric Verrone, president of the western chapter of the guild, said at a news conference.  Watch Verrone talk about a "bad contract" »

J. Nicholas Counter, chief negotiator for producers, called the writers' strike "precipitous and irresponsible" in a prepared statement.

Producers believe progress can be made on other issues but "it makes absolutely no sense to increase the burden of this additional compensation" involving DVDs and the Internet, he said.

The first casualty of the strike would be late-night talk shows, which are dependent on current events to fuel monologues and other entertainment.

"The Tonight Show" on NBC will go into reruns starting Monday if last-ditch negotiations fail and a strike begins, according to a network official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to comment publicly.

Comedy Central has said "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" would likely go into repeats as well.

Daytime TV, including live talk shows such as "The View" and soap operas, which typically tape about a week's worth of shows in advance, would be next to feel the impact.

The strike would not immediately affect production of movies or prime-time TV programs. Most studios have stockpiled dozens of movie scripts, and TV shows have enough scripts or completed shows in hand to last until early next year.

Talks between writers and producers will likely impact upcoming negotiations between the studios and unions representing actors and directors.

All those unions believe revenue from content offered on the Internet, cell phones and other platforms will grow tremendously in the years ahead, even though it's now minuscule compared with DVD sales.

Consumers are expected to spend $16.4 billion on DVDs this year, according to Adams Media Research.

By contrast, studios could generate about $158 million from selling movies online and about $194 million from selling TV shows over the Web.

Studios argue that it is too early to know how much money they can make from offering entertainment on the Internet and on cell phones, iPods and other devices.

Producers are also uncertain whether consumers prefer a pay-per-view model over an advertising-supported system. They say they want the economic flexibility to experiment as consumer habits change in reaction to technology.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao The soap opera writers are on strike. People might have to..gulp, shudder, tremble....read! Or go outside. Or talk to each other. Chaos, mayhem...it's Ragnarok. Soon the sun will be eaten by an enormous wolf.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2007, 04:26:33 AM »
Writers have always been treated like shit on the shoes of Hollywood.  Let's see how smart them actors sound now that they have to come up with their own ideas and words.  bbbbbbbbbb
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2007, 08:40:30 PM »
Belgium... Canada.  Now I get it.

In Belgium, even the Smurfs are confused
Don Murray
Nov. 6, 2007
Belgium and Canada have similar positions. Each sits on its continent, incontournable as the French say, undeniably there, but largely ignored by its larger neighbours.

Consider Belgium today. It is in the midst of a major political crisis. You haven't noticed? Neither has most of Europe.

As of Nov. 5, the country achieved an unenviable record — 148 days without a real government, 148 days since a general election produced a stalemate. The previous record was in 1988 and the cause was the same and one that will be familiar to Canadians — language.

There are not two, but three official languages in Belgium, a lot for a country of 10 million inhabitants. But only two count, French and Dutch.

The Flemish speak Dutch in the province of Flanders and they are the majority, making up somewhere between 56 and 58 per cent of the country's population. The Wallons speak French and live in the south next to France. To complicate matters, Brussels, the capital, is largely French-speaking but it lies in Flanders.

What would Tintin do?

Curiously, few outside the political class in Belgium seem to be taking this crisis too seriously. There is a reason for that. Belgium is known for … well, what is Belgium known for? Beer, of course. There seem to be almost as many of those as Belgians, and moules et frites, mussels and french fries, and chocolate, and … comics.

Yes, tiny Belgium is a world leader in the production of comics and comic book heroes, starting with the boy reporter Tintin.

The comic approach appeals to Belgians. Listen to Rik Torfs, a Flemish professor of government and religion: "We only produce useless things such as beer and chocolates. So we are an absolute centre of mediocrity.

"And that's a good reason to be in favour of the survival of Belgium. As we are a centre of mediocrity, nobody envies us, nobody hates us. And that's nice."

Torfs is famous in Flanders, not because of his intellectual prowess as a professor but because he moonlights on a TV quiz show called The Cleverest Person in the World. It has one million viewers. That's one-sixth of Flanders.

Torfs is a sort of prosecuting judge, insulting the contestants so that they like it, as he puts it. He uses the same technique on his country.

His guide to Belgian politics is pithy: "Anything serious coming from Belgium, don't trust it."

What national anthem?

It's a motto Belgium's embattled prime minister-designate seems to be taking, if not seriously, then conscientiously. Yves Leterme is a Flemish politician, leading the largest coalition of parties trying to form a government.

On Belgium's national holiday, July 21, he was asked what the day was commemorating. He didn't know. (The correct answer was the swearing in as head of state of Belgium's first king in 1830.) Then Leterme was asked whether he knew Belgium's national anthem. Of course, he said, and began singing La Marseillaise, the national anthem of France. It's perhaps not surprising he's having trouble forming a government.

There are more serious reasons for Belgium's political crisis. For one, the country no longer has any national parties.

Four decades ago, the leaders of Belgium tried to clarify the vexed language issue by drawing a line through the belly of the country.

To the north, in Flanders, every official word spoken and written — in government departments, municipal city halls, schools, universities — would be Dutch.

To the south, in Wallonia, French would be official. (In a small eastern enclave tucked up against Germany, German would be the official language of about 75,000 Belgians). Brussels, situated in Flanders, would be bilingual.

Surgery required

This led to some drastic changes. The university of Louvain was a jewel of French-language learning, founded in 1425. But after the drawing of the language line, the university found itself in the Flemish sector. And so, in the 1970s, everything and everyone — books, faculties, professors, students — all were moved south. Not far south, just 30 kilometres and just across the language line. A new university — indeed a new town, Louvain La Neuve — was built. And the old one became the University of Leuven, where everything would be in Dutch.

The drastic surgery offered only temporary remission. By the 1980s, the national parties were splitting apart. Where once there was a national Christian Democrat party, now there are two — one Flemish and one Wallon. And the Flemish Christian Democrats did a deal with a small separatist party, the NVA, with the goal of forming the largest block in the Belgian parliament. The NVA wants Flanders to declare its independence from Belgium.

The Christian Democrat-NVA block achieved its electoral goal. But, thanks to the constitutional tradition that there should be a government with an equal number of Dutch- and French-speaking ministers, this has led to surreal political negotiations. Imagine the Bloc Québécois as part of a negotiating team to form a federal coalition government.

To add spice to the constitutional stew, there is a second, much bigger separatist party, not in the poorer, smaller section of the country, Wallonia, but also in Flanders. The Vlaams Belang, which calls for independence for Flanders and is accused of being rabidly right-wing by its opponents, takes 25 per cent of the votes and seats in the Flanders provincial parliament.

The Flemish have a long and well-developed sense of grievance. For decades they and their language were considered backward by the French-speaking elite. Now that Flanders is the rich part of the country, they resent paying subsidies to struggling Wallonia. A recent opinion poll suggested support for Flanders' independence had risen to 46 per cent.

Think of it in Canadian terms: it's as if the support for separation was being driven by Ontario and the West, not by Quebec.

Asking the Big Smurf

But not to worry, says Torfs. This is Belgium.

"It's like asking questions on divorce immediately after the quarrel. The bottles are still on the floor, the wine glasses on the table. At that moment everybody wants to divorce, to separate. But a few days, weeks, months later, we are very happy to be with our old enemies again."

Maybe, but the rot is so deep it has so soaked into the comics. Along with Tintin, Belgium has given the world the Smurfs. And these tiny blue creatures, like bigger Belgians, have managed, in one of their albums, to get themselves into a linguistic tangle.

It begins when a Smurf asks another for a bottle opener, a "bottle-Smurfer" in his parlance. His neighbour insists it's called a "Smurf-opener." They can't agree; the quarrel escalates.

And here Willem de Graeve, deputy director of the Belgian Museum of Comic Art, takes up the story: "So they go to the Big Smurf and ask him who is right. The Big Smurf says, I can't say because both are right, but they're not satisfied with this answer. It goes further and further. They decide one day to split the village in two and they make a border. You can't pass the border because you have two camps of Smurfs, speaking two languages. Now it's obvious that this is a real allusion to the situation in Belgium."

If the Big Smurf can't solve that one, who can save Belgium?

And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com