Weather Check

• 1321 replies

A-Train

Re: Weather Check
« Reply #960 on: February 03, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »
Airport is closed, major freeways closed, reporting drifts of eight feet and swells in Lake Michigan of 20 feet.  The blizzard of the young century.  Gives me a good chance to catch up on Jon Stewart and the Oscar-nominated movies. 
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #961 on: February 03, 2011, 07:45:25 AM »
My brother is a teacher in Austin Texas and he told me they cancelled school today because it is too cold. No snow, no ice, just cold. Apparently the power grid there can't handle everyone running their heat at the same time so there have been rolling blackouts throughout the city. I gotta admit, I LOL'd. 

« Reply #962 on: February 03, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »
Thanks for the concern folks. bfbfbfbfbf I'm ok here in Brisbane, but the folks up around Mission Beach and Tully copped a big hit. I used to live on the beachfront outside Townsville but the possibilities of tsunamis and cyclones was far too great so I sold out.This cyclone would have had an impact on where I used to live. alalalalal

A-Train

« Reply #963 on: February 03, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
Apparently the power grid there can't handle everyone running their heat at the same time so there have been rolling blackouts throughout the city.

...except where it's REALLY important.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/sports/nfl/super_bowl/020211-Why-Cowboys-Stadium-Never-Lost-Power-during-Rolling-Blackouts

DALLAS - Despite scheduled rolling blackouts across North Texas to relieve maxed-out power grids on Wednesday, electricity kept flowing at energy-hogging Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.

According to Oncor electric delivery representative Megan Wright, the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI have asked for an exemption for the facility. The agencies said cutting power to the stadium ahead of Sunday's Super Bowl game would present a security risk, Wright said.

The Jerry Jones-owned stadium relies on a fully-automated intelligent power grid that keeps electricity flowing to its scoreboard and world's largest high-definition video screen.

Oncor said a team of 45 engineers and contractors worked for more than three years to produce the most advanced and extensive electrical infrastructure for the 3 million-square-foot complex.

The domed facility, often informally referred to as "Jerry World," is globally the largest of its kind and uses more power than most medium-sized cities, Oncor said.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #964 on: February 03, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
It's been raining fireworks non-stop for over 20 hours now (after a 2 day run up with gaps between explosions).  The momentary lulls are just the closer sites reloading, but there's been an absolutely continuous sound of firecrackers.

Assuming I can only here these things for a radius of 1 KM (as big as Chinese firecrackers are compared to the ones they sell in the US, I think it's a larger radius), I can't even hazard a guess about how many container loads of firecrackers I've heard.

Add in the rockets exploding above (or even with aoaoaoaoao) my 4th floor window and I'd say Shock and Awe has been achieved.

At least it's helping to warm the whole city up another degree or two.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #965 on: February 05, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
At least 80 mls of rain last night here near Melbourne...and it's still raining. This is the long arm of the Queensland cyclone touching us down South.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #966 on: February 05, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
Gerge, glad you're down on the safe side. Well, mostly glad, anyway. uuuuuuuuuu

Meanwhile, the deep freeze goes on in Oklahoma, with significant fresh snow today and more coming Sunday. The fun is wearing out. I haven't been out in about a week, and most of Tulsa remains shut down anyway. llllllllll
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #967 on: February 05, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
Meanwhile, the deep freeze goes on in Oklahoma, with significant fresh snow today and more coming Sunday. The fun is wearing out. I haven't been out in about a week, and most of Tulsa remains shut down anyway. llllllllll

Just be glad the walls aren't closing in and the voices in your head aren't telling you to eat the neighbors, yet. uuuuuuuuuu

Curl up in front of the TV and watch something pleasant, like The Shining. qqqqqqqqqq
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #968 on: February 06, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
Gerge, glad you're down on the safe side. Well, mostly glad, anyway.
I'm reasonably glad you are mostly glad. Build a snowman. agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #969 on: February 06, 2011, 06:06:06 PM »
No, I'm never going outside again. :wtf:

Today was our first day (barely) above freezing, and I thought it might be safe to go to Mass. Bad idea: I never even made it to my truck. The street proved to be glare ice, and the minute I stepped into it I fell and bonked my head HARD on it. I'm hoping I'm not concussed...I seem to be OK.

Coming right up: another plunge in temperatures, snow in the forecast.

I'm running low on food... aoaoaoaoao

A prolonged freeze in Oklahoma, icy roads in Dallas, there are news reports of zoo animals freezing to death in northern Mexico. WTF up with dat? mmmmmmmmmm
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #970 on: February 06, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
Yeah my mom is a teacher in Dallas and they had the whole entire week off for snow days. People in Dallas go nuts when it snows or there are icy roads. They just can't handle it.

Here in Beijing it is supposed to reach 11C today. The 10 day forecast doesn't show a single day below 5C. I am cautiously optimistic that we might be in for an early Spring!

Ruth

« Reply #971 on: February 06, 2011, 10:21:34 PM »
Perhaps spring has arrived in Dongguan. We're into the days when one takes off clothes to go outside where it's warm and bundles up inside where it's still a chilly 15. Lotsa difference between 9 (like it was in January) and 15 though, let me tell you.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #972 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
It fricken snowed yesterday, only an inch but still, sheesh
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

old34

« Reply #973 on: March 16, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
My students this week are saying that this sudden drop back to winter weather is due to the Japanese earthquake and how the affected island's supposed shift has altered the weather.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #974 on: March 16, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
My friend in Kunming just told me it snowed there last night. First time I can remember where Kunming was actually colder than Beijing. The high here today is 11C.