The Cook Book

• 274 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: The Cook Book
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2008, 02:31:29 AM »
Metro has Philly cheese. Also has cooking chocolate so you can make a chocolate cheese cake. Also has condensed milk for you to turn into caramel and swirl through it. Plenty of tinned fruits like blueberries etc.

For fillings - head for the fresh food market - nice fruits there now.  Or to Hui Min Jie for dried fruits.

Other stuff - all of the supermarkets have bottled fruit that isn't too bad - lychee, pineapple etc.

have fun.

Acjade

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2008, 04:15:25 AM »
This would be nice.... if you gave us the recipe.

Shroomy

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:55 AM »
AJ, I didn't bring recipes with me, but I'd bet if you used Google or went to Kraft's site they would have non-bake recipes for you.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2008, 05:06:31 AM »
Sorry - thought you wanted ideas not how to. Figured you'd done this before in Oz.

You'll need a pre-cooked base. Or experiment with this:  Melted butter and crumbed sweet biscuits (without cream fillings!) mixed together - to cook, maybe under your toaster/griller or you could try in your rice cooker with a small amount of water in the base.

Filling - mix cream cheese, whatever filling you choose and condensed milk/yoghurt/plain milk depending on the level of flavour you want, to a runny but still thick consistency.  So if you use tinned fruit then the juice would be part of the liquid.

Pour into the base and let set.

AMonk

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »
GIRDLE SCONES

These should be cooked on a girdle, but can be cooked on any heavy-based pan or electric skillet.

Sift together --
225g(2cups) Flour
pinch Salt
1x15ml(1 tablespoon) Baking Powder

Stir in --
1x5ml (teaspoon) Sugar

Rub in --
50g(1/4 cup) Butter.....margarine OK substitute

Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in --
150ml(2/3 cup) Milk -- until stiff dough forms.

Divide dough in half and roll out on floured board 2 rounds, 1.25cm (1/2inch) thick.  Cut each round into 4 triangles.  Dust with a little flour.
Heat girdle until hot.  Grease cooking surface.  Cook scones for about 5 minutes on each side, until risen and golden-brown. 
Serve immediately.  Slice in two and slather with butter, jam, honey, etc. 

Note.....Adding grated cheese to the dough, before rolling and cutting, gives nice "boost" to scones.
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »
These should be cooked on a girdle,
Wouldn't a girdle melt in the heat?? After all, they are usually made of whalebone and fabric. ahahahahah ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

AMonk

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2008, 11:57:01 PM »
Not if it's a Scottish Girdle......heavy, cast-iron cooking utensil with handle...looks like a flat basket....you know a metal punnet. ahahahahah

Acjade

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2008, 12:08:34 AM »
My mum has one of those on which she grills her steaks and lamb chops. Ah... a lamb chop. akakakakak

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:58 AM »
Ladies, I think what George was referring to was the fact you spelt the word girdle instead of griddle. I have a griddle but don't wear a girdle.

Girdle
Pronunciation:     \ˈgər-dəl\
Function:     noun
Etymology:     Middle English girdel, from Old English gyrdel; akin to Old High German gurtil girdle, Old English gyrdan to gird
Date:     before 12th century

1: something that encircles or confines: as a: an article of dress encircling the body usually at the waist b: a woman's close-fitting undergarment often boned and usually elasticized that extends from the waist to below the hips

griddle   
Pronunciation:     \ˈgri-dəl\
Function:     noun
Etymology:     Middle English gredil gridiron, from Anglo-French greil, gredile, from Latin craticulum, diminutive of cratis wickerwork — more at hurdle
Date:     14th century

: a flat stone or metal surface on which food is baked or fried
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Acjade

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2008, 01:57:57 AM »
You, gentlemen, are quite right. Gridle is part of my earthly soul. And gridle cakes. What a lovely women to send me the recipe when I'm on an eating journey that seems to have no end.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2008, 08:41:58 AM »
Thanks, DS. I was prolly being too subtle! ahahahahah
If Acjade scoffs too many GRIDDLE cakes, she will be needing a GIRDLE.

AMonk

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »
Ladies, I think what George was referring to was the fact you spelt the word girdle instead of griddle. 

I had the correct spelling and word. 
Picture a flat circle of iron, banded around with another circle of iron, which gives an edge to the outside of the cooking surface.  It encircles, encloses and encompasses the iron circle.  (Means there's no slippage or run-off of greases/drippings). 
Now, imagine a semi-circle handle, reaching from edge to edge across the circle and rising above the girdle, so that it can be lifted/transported.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
 bibibibibi Foreigners!!

AMonk

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
In one of my Maths books (a lesson on fractions), I found the following list of ingredients for cookies.  I tried this out and the results were Delicious!!

CARROT COOKIES

1 Egg
1/3 cup Cooking Oil
1/3 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Flour
2/3 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon (grated) Orange Peel = Zest
1/3 cup (cooked) Carrots
4 tablespoons Raisins
1/2 teaspoon Ginger

Combine all ingredients, in order given.  Mix well.  The dough will be fairly "wet". 
Spoon onto cookie sheet.  Not too close, as they will spread a bit.

Bake 10-15mins in 375* oven until dried and golden.

Note:  I used a dessert spoon and got 12 lovely, big cookies, each about 2-3" diameter.

« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2008, 01:33:11 AM »
Not sure we can buy baking powder here.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.