• 1074 replies

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »

Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

this is one strange book so far! The description are nothing short of exhaustive (borderline exhausting... ) but a couple of chapters into it, it starts getting interesting.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2007, 01:07:06 AM »
Just finished Shanghai Baby, the jacket says this book is "banned and burned in China." There was quite a bit of sex in it, guess that's why burning is added in addition to the usual banning .   
I am still learning. Michelangelo

AMonk

« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2007, 01:10:23 AM »
WHAT!!!   No Hanging or Drawing or Quartering!!??!!  For shame!! cbcbcbcbcb afafafafaf afafafafaf
Moderation....in most things...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2007, 02:17:36 AM »
Just finished "Tales from Nowhere" - a Lonely Planet book of travellers tales.  I love reading travel writing.

This one came from "Joyo" the Chinese version of Amazon. Delivered to my door, cash on delivery.  Much cheaper than having it sent form overseas.

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
Just finished Shanghai Baby, the jacket says this book is "banned and burned in China." There was quite a bit of sex in it, guess that's why burning is added in addition to the usual banning .   

More info please? Is it a novel? Author? One-sentence synopsis?

« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2007, 03:31:16 PM »
Just finished "Tales from Nowhere" - a Lonely Planet book of travellers tales.  I love reading travel writing.

This one came from "Joyo" the Chinese version of Amazon. Delivered to my door, cash on delivery.  Much cheaper than having it sent form overseas.

Also my favourite type of writing. (See recommendations above.) But I'm surprised you were able to get a foreign book in China. Or was this a Chinese imprint?

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2007, 05:54:36 PM »
Sorry, Shanghai Baby has left my possession, can't remember the author but it was written by a mid 20's female living in Shanghai in 1999.  Autobiographical about her life as a struggling author cohabitating with a young man who has a problem with drugs.  Throw a foreign lover into the mix and a lot of Shanghai nightlife and you've got one steamy novel.  Nothing deep and meaningful but an interesting read nonetheless.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2007, 01:16:26 AM »
The new Disc World novel by Terry Pratchett. Absolutely great  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

Mimi

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2007, 02:42:21 AM »
belrain - I adore Terry Pratchett!

Right now, I am reading a short story collection put together by David Sedaris。  I started Lisey's Story by Stephen King, but his writing makes me so angry.  I just want to find out what happens next, I don't want to suffer through fifty pages of his stumbling prose to get there.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2007, 03:08:30 AM »
Just finished reading a few books:  Knights of the Black and White, by Jack Whyte; and Black Order by James Rollins.  Right now, I am reading another Ian Rankin book, The Fall.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:30 AM »
It's a Lonely Planet book which are printed in China anyway for distribution. But if you navigate through the website, you will find a reasonable (not great) selection of foreign books.

« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2007, 04:08:49 PM »

I've started to do some reading for my Master's dissertation and have been dipping in and out of several books, but the work of Jonathan Spence has caught my eye, particularly...

To Change China: Western Advisers in China

Sounds like a good recommendation. I'll have a look for it. For an interesting business book about what happens when you try to change Chinese business practices, do read "Mr. China" by Tim Clissold. Its point? TIC; proceed at your own peril.

« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2007, 04:46:28 AM »
Finished Jian, forget the author's name.  got it from George.  Some of it takes place in Beijing, some in Suzhou!  Worthy read.

Just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stevenson.  Hated it to start, but it got better, and better, then was spectacular.  Almost in William Gibson's league, which is saying something.  Has this guy written anything else as good?

In the middle of Xenocide by Orson Scott Card, the 3rd in his Ender saga.  I'm a pig in poop-  all of you, find Ender's Game and read it before someone tells you all about it and wrecks it.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2007, 04:54:44 AM »
Neal Stevenson has written a number of books. Incidentally, "Snow Crash" started the path of Bruce Damer, who operates "Digital Space"...http://www.digitalspace.com/ which now employs my sister's company.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2007, 08:15:40 AM »
Every bloody thing. Got it worked out so that my laptop is now my book. I got thousands.

Yaaah Bloody HOooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working through discworld, warlock in spite of himself, Myth, and Demon Princes series this week. Thats just under 60 books. Less than ten a day. easy peasy.

mmmmmmmmmm.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.