• 52 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Is your country civilised??
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:46:23 PM »
Try this and see what you come up with.

The Civilisation Exam
Answer all questions
Four marks for each question to which you can answer "True"; partial marks may be awarded.
Pass mark is 50.

1. The military-industrial complex plays no role in the government of your country.

2. Religion plays a very small role in society in your country; neither forbidden nor compulsory.

3. Scientists, teachers, nurses and artists are all valued more than sports people and celebrities in your country.

4. Speech is free and the media varied with many different owners in your country.

5. There are few if any guns owned by people in your country.

6. The environment of your country is cared for as the highest priority.

7. The government of your country does not execute its people.

8. Women have full social and economic equality with men in your country.

9. Minorities, whether ethnic, linguistic, cultural or religious, are not persecuted in your country.

10. Your country does not consider sexuality a criterion for human rights.

11. Education of children is universal, free and secular in your country.

12. Other species of animals are respected, valued and protected by the people of your country.

13. Everyone secretly votes in your country and every vote is openly counted independent of government.

14. Regulation protects people from giant corporations operating in your country.

15. Your armies do not invade other countries and war isn't glorified in your country.

16. Your country does not consider wealth a criterion for political success, or social worth.

17. Art and heritage are valued in your country and literature, film and television increase in quality over time.

18. In your country natural disasters bring massive state support for the hurt, homeless and helpless.

19. The old, the sick and the disabled are cared for by your country, not profited from.

20. The government of your country tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but.

21. Public enterprise is as valued as private enterprise in your country.

22. The courts and police are independent of your country's politicians.

23. Trade unions flourish in your country.

24. Your country aims to make the balance between life at work and life at home a healthy one.

25. Aspirations are achievable by all your country's people.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2259116.htm

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Is your country civilised??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
 I don't have time to do this very thoroughly right now, but I would have to give Canada a one for number 4. There are numerous  limitations on freedom of speech, the TV is controlled by the government, a great many books are banned and most of the newspapers are owned by a handful of media companies.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
I make the UK compliant with numbers 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23 and 24, giving it a score of 60.  However, it needs work in the freedom of speech  / environment / not declaring war on other countries fields...
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »
For 8 and 9 in any country I think we need to ask the women and minorities! Laws aren't always enforced.  ahahahahah

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »
Well, don't forget I'm from London and a lot of my friends are from various ethnic minorities, and I've never heard one person talk about being 'oppressed'. 

For women yes you may be more right.  The majority of those higher up in society are still men - the managers, chairs, etc.  So perhaps I need to alter that one...
It is too early to say.

AMonk

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Bermuda scores "4" on 2,5,7,8,11,12,13,22,23,25

1=not applicable
3=no real pro athletes
4=3
6=2
9=3
10=3
14=not applicable
15=not applicable
16=0
17=3
18=4...in a 21-square mile island, everybody's in the same boat.
19=1
20=negative 3....starting with our Premier
21=2
25=3
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »
I highly doubt any country can say 'yes' to number 20 and would argue that anyone who believes they can have lost all sense of reality.

According to this test, Denmark is civilized. Big whoop.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

technolust

• Banana
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:01:30 AM »
You lost me at #5, how does owning a gun make a person uncivilised?

Would you say Switzerland is an uncivilised country? Yet there's a rifle in most homes there.

As said, #20 is just silly.
Working for the man, so you don't have to!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »
You lost me at #5, how does owning a gun make a person uncivilised?

Would you say Switzerland is an uncivilised country? Yet there's a rifle in most homes there.

As said, #20 is just silly.

What he said. Actually, quite a number of them seem pretty silly to me.
B'sides...from what I've seen, this "civilization" thing is over-rated, anyway.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
To quote Mr. Huckleberry Finn: "But I reckon I got to light out for the territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before".

So this little test defines civilization, does it?

Let's just tackle number 7, shall we? Executing criminals is a sign of barbarism? So, the US should have taught Son of Sam needlepoint and let him go after a while, perfectly harmless chap unless, of course, a dog with a radio in its snout comes along.

Number 15. There is not a country in the world that can say 'yes' to this one. All nations, in some form, contributes to the glorification of war.

Nr. 2. Define "small role"....Exodus chapter 20, verse 1-25. I'm not a Christian, not by a long shot, yet I tend to obey most of the stuff written there.

Nr. 5 is, in my eyes, silly too. The number of guns owned by people is not a sign of barbarism. You could say the same things about knives or tire irons. A gun is just a weapon. Hunters own shotguns, they make sure you can buy pheasant in the shop.

Nr.12. I love animals, no doubt about it. However, just because I have a puppy does not mean that everyone needs to like dogs. Some places they eat them. India venerates cows, I eat them thus, in the eyes of someone who regularly bathes in the Ganges, I am uncivilized.

All things considered, if this test had been printed, it would not be worth the paper it was printed on, IMHO.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:43:58 PM »
The USA screws the civilisation curve on No.5.  As you all should have realised by now.

Think Liberia, Mozambique, Yugoslavia for three.  Think:

Lebanon
Nepal
Peru
Darfur
Somalia
Columbia. 

Think "and so on."

Gun ownership kinda everywhere but the US speaks to breakdown of civilisation.  And it doesn't speak to that in the US?  Nope.  No sirree.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »
This is surely a stimulating set of questions. It makes one think.

Does anyone feel that China/Chinese citizens consider themselves more civilized -
with or without the guidance of these questions?

My experience with most of my Chinese friends is that China is the middle kingdom and is, therefore, most civilized.

This is of course quite subjective.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:51:19 AM »
No. 23...
WHY would a "civilized" country need labor unions?
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 03:39:35 AM »
No. 23...
WHY would a "civilized" country need labor unions?

Make sure it stays civilised!!

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 03:48:21 AM »
No.23 I understand....history tells us how societies were before labour unions. Not that labour unions are a prerequisite for determining if a place is civilized or not, but they are nice to have.