What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2430 on: August 26, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
Australian Lawmaker Apologizes to China for Tirade

Australian mining magnate turned lawmaker Clive Palmer has apologized to China over an extraordinary tirade on national television in which he accused the Chinese of shooting their own people and having no system of justice.

Following the volatile multimillionaire's Aug. 18 outburst on Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s "Q & A" program, government ministers accused him of threatening Australia's relationship with its biggest trading partner and distanced themselves from his views. Palmer, meanwhile, largely avoided commenting on the issue.

But Palmer, who was elected to Parliament last September from his own Palmer United Party, released on Tuesday the text of an apology letter to China's ambassador to Australia, Ma Zhaoxu.

"I most sincerely apologize for any insult to Chinese people caused by any of the language I used," Palmer wrote in the letter, dated Aug. 25....
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #2431 on: August 28, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
Is society being reshaped on a microbiological and epigenetic level by the way women give birth?

The debate about the relative benefits and disadvantages of Caesarean Sections versus vaginal births is one of the most complex and contentious in the medical and health sphere.  In this fascinating piece, Hannah Dahlen, Professor of Midwifery, University of Western Sydney, approaches this issue from a microbiological and epigenetic perspective and discusses the evidence for a causal link between labor and birthing processes and diseases later in life, such as asthma and diabetes.  These fields of research are relatively new and not without their skeptics. However, if proven to be correct this research could potentially have major implications for birthing practices in countries, like Australia, with very high rates of Caesarian sections, and provide important insights into the cause of the ‘chronic disease epidemic’ facing our society today.  Professor Dahlen writes:

In 1915, when caesarean section was rare, Kendall proposed that microbes, which colonise the baby’s gastrointestinal tract following vaginal birth, ‘may be protective’ He said, “Very shortly after birth bacteria make their appearance in the mouth of the newborn, and organisms appear in the meconium from four to twenty hours post partum (Kendall, 1915 p 209). Colleagues of Kendall had previously undertaken experiments sterilizing the environments (including undertaking caesareans) and foods of newly born/hatched animals, observing that development became affected under these conditions. This led Kendall to conclude that these bacteria may be protective under ‘ordinary conditions’.

In the intervening 100 years intervention in childbirth has climbed higher than ever before in the history of humankind. Vaginal births without a medical intervention are becoming increasingly rare in both Australia and many other developed nations. In 2012 we published a paper showing only 15% of low risk first time mothers giving birth in private hospitals in NSW did so without intervention compared to 35% in public hospitals. In 2014 we published a follow up paper showing that babies born to low risk women in the private sector, where the intervention rates were so much higher, were more likely to have a problem following birth and to be readmitted to hospital in the first 28 days for morbidities associated with interventions, such as forceps and vacuum birth (scalp trauma) and being delivered early (breathing difficulties, feeding difficulties, sleep and behavioural difficulties and jaundice). However this is only giving us a short-term glimpse at the impact of obstetric intervention....

Or, for when Crikey puts the article behind their paywall, the evidence isn't in but it looks a bit like vaginal birth is, in general, beneficial because the birthed infant gets stressed in a good ways and... PREHISTORIC MICROBES, WOOHOO!

IRL I will not pat a pregnant belly nor do I bequeath valuable old wives tales to tell the heaving birther what's right and wrong with everything she's ever done. I just happened to see these articles and, unfortunately, reposted them.

« Reply #2432 on: August 29, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
Students Join Teacher in Brawl Against Military Instructors

Hunan Military Instructors Clashed with Teachers and Students; More Than 40 Injured

On [August] 24th, a clash occurrd among the Longshan county, Hunan province Huangcang High School freshmen during military education and training. Internet reports claim the military [drill] instructor used “corporal punishment” on the students, even stepping on them with his foot, and that the teacher in charge of the class was even beaten for intervening. Then, when the students stood with the head teacher in opposition against the military instructor, other military instructors joined in on the brawl. School officials say a lot of people were involved, and that the incident resulted in over 40 people being injured, with the head teacher’s injuries being relatively severe. Photo is of an injured female student....

« Reply #2433 on: August 29, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
People’s Altercation Army

An ugly melee this week between People’s Liberation Army training officers and their high school trainees at a high school in central China sent dozens of students and teachers to the hospital with injuries, some serious.

The incident occurred Aug. 25 in Huangcang High School in Hunan province when the officer in charge of mandatory military training physically abused male students for suspected disrespect of military instructors.

After the young male students were severely beaten and kicked by the military officers, the class’ civilian teacher tried to summon emergency help. Enraged by the teacher’s act, the officer in charge ordered the military instructors to beat the teacher. That prompted the male students to charge the officers in an effort to rescue their teacher, who had passed out. In the melee, the students suffered severe injuries, including broken bones and profuse bleeding.

When all was over, 42 people were taken to the hospital, including 40 students, one teacher and one officer.

Fearing the incident could ignite wider social unrest, Communist Party officials promised a swift investigation. In a rare move, they lifted a ban on news reports about the melee, fearing that hiding information could further worsen civilian-military relations amid the recent exposure of widespread military corruption....

« Reply #2434 on: August 29, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »
Bloody Brawl Breaks Out During Military Training -- at a Chinese High School

Chinese social media can't agree whether to blame an out-of-control military or spoiled youth.

A recent ugly brawl between paramilitary drill instructors and high schoolers in central China has exposed a fault line between China's military and its people. The bloody Aug. 24 incident, which landed 40 freshmen in the hospital with bone fractures and gashes, is being parsed on China's active social web as either evidence of the wholesale corruption of the Chinese military, or the hopeless degeneration of China's youth.

The conflict occurred during a week of military training at Huangcang High School in Hunan's Longshan, a county of half a million people known for its karst caves. (The bulk of Chinese military recruits are rural youth and the unemployed, not students, but military training sessions are routine at high schools and colleges across China.) The incident was traced back to what several media outlets describe as a playful tiff between a female student and a drill instructor. The liberal Beijing News reported Aug. 26 that the girl's classmates came to her defense and ended up pinning the instructor in what was then still a lighthearted dispute. According to the report, that impertinence led to punitive pushups later in the day for the class, and when students balked, other drill instructors ended up attacking the male students. A teacher who tried to intervene was also reportedly beaten.

The Beijing News quoted one student as saying that drill instructors had been drinking, and its story came with photos of a student in military fatigues cradling a hand with bloody, mangled fingers while a tearful female classmate stood next to him. But some facts are contested: Xinhua, China's official news agency, reported that some of the more serious injuries were caused by students running up to the fourth floor of a school building and punching out glass windows in a rage.

There's also deep disagreement about the meaning of the incident....[more]

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2435 on: August 29, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »
Girl flirts with guy in uniform, boyfriend wannabe gets peeved and before you know it, all hell breaks loose.

I've been to Longshan County. It's is way out in the boonies.

Interesting that they decided to allow the news.

« Reply #2436 on: August 30, 2014, 12:28:44 AM »
I don't think there's a way for the drill instructors to not be at fault in this story.

Unless, for instance, the authority of the military really does supersede that of the teaching staff of a teaching institution with respect to enrolled students of that institution. Arguably then when the teacher intervened, he would have been undermining the educational and spiritual role of the invited trainers. And when the students first mobbed the playfully tiffing instructor, they would have been in the wrong too, and all of them should have been disciplined. The invited trainers derive their legitimacy from whatever mandated their presence in the first place, and as far as I know, that was the government, the one party.

The (hopefully different) instructors are due here in a few days. In times past I've seen them providing what looked like salutary instruction to the freshmen. They make them march, get coherent, possibly soak up some values, and sing. They make the atmosphere a bit more antagonistic for me, hit on without actually hitting a few girls, possibly score, then leave. The students ditch their uniforms and suddenly look older. Class begins.

There's probably no chance the students don't know the Longshan story by now. I don't know what's going to happen. If the instructors that turn up here are worth anything, they'll know how to tell that story the right way and the students will end up knowing something worth knowing. There might even be a propaganda victory in it. But the dudes who made the violence come true in the first place.... they, I think, remain dicks.

« Reply #2437 on: August 31, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
I GHOSTWRITE CHINESE STUDENTS' IVY LEAGUE ADMISSIONS ESSAYS

Hey China, you’re welcome. When you think about your future multi-million dollar shipping moguls, innovative tech giants, and up-and-coming diplomats, please remember a small handful of them probably received their Ivy League degrees thanks to me.

I’m a black market college admissions essay writer, and over the last three years I’ve written over 350 fraudulent essays for wealthy Chinese exchange students. Although my clients have varied from earnest do-gooders to factory tycoon’s daughters who communicate primarily through emojis, they all have one thing in common: They’re unable to write meaningful sentences.

Sometimes this inability has stemmed from a language barrier, but other times they have struggled to understand what American college admissions committees are looking for in a personal essay. Either way, they have all been willing to pay me way more than my old waitressing job ever paid me....

Made up or real?

Because, I remember reading a similar story but by a male author and set, as I recall, in Australia. He would write assignments rather than admissions essays. But it was the same story of suffering writer selling words coming out of the closet yet not quite deciding to stop.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2438 on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:33 PM »
I written several of there recently but not for Ivy league schools yet.

« Reply #2439 on: September 01, 2014, 12:22:02 AM »
What are your rates? I wrote one, many years ago, but that was for fun. (Student was granted a place and insisted on buying a meal, I doubt the essay decided the deal though because she was a good student anyway.) whoops, no i didn't, that was a reference letter.

The news article though seems to me like it might be advertising. It is an article. It is in the news. (Sorta.) But I've seen almost the exact same weirdly self-congratulatory, self-flagellatory tone in this other article a few years ago. That other article, as I recall, had the dude actually quitting the words-for-hire biz. He claimed big bucks and burn out. But I don't know what's the purpose. They want to normalise the practice of writing other people's assignments? Get some kudos of some kind? Or some new clients? I find it weird.

« Reply #2440 on: September 02, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
CCTV asks if ‘expats unqualified for language teaching in China?’

With school starting up again this week, a recent CCTV news report may hint at an increase in crackdowns on illegally employed ESL teachers.

« Reply #2441 on: September 06, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »
Chinese man sues telecoms provider over blocked Google access in rare challenge to 'Great Firewall'

Wang Long says China Unicom's inability to give him access to the search engine is a breach of responsibility

A Chinese man threw a rare official spotlight on the country’s internet controls when he sued a state-owned telecom operator for denying him access to US search engine Google, documents and reports showed on Friday.

Authorities in China impose strict limits on the internet, censoring domestic content and blocking foreign websites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube using a system known as the “Great Firewall”.

Google partially withdrew from mainland China in 2010 and moved its servers to Hong Kong after a fallout with the central government.

Access to its services has been blocked or disrupted since shortly before June’s 25th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown.

Wang Long, who describes himself as a “law worker”, sued China Unicom over his lack of access to Google at the Futian People’s Court in Shenzhen.

The hearing took place on Thursday, a document on the city’s official litigation service website showed.

On his account on Weibo, Wang said that China Unicom’s lawyer hesitated to answer when the judge asked whether Google’s websites can normally be accessed.

Eventually, the advocate said that he was “not sure whether he can tell [the court] or not”, sparking laughter from the gallery, Wang said....

« Reply #2442 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
The Mathematics of Ebola Trigger Stark Warnings: Act Now or Regret It

The Ebola epidemic in Africa has continued to expand since I last wrote about it, and as of a week ago, has accounted for more than 4,200 cases and 2,200 deaths in five countries: Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone. That is extraordinary: Since the virus was discovered, no Ebola outbreak’s toll has risen above several hundred cases. This now truly is a type of epidemic that the world has never seen before. In light of that, several articles were published recently that are very worth reading.

The most arresting is a piece published last week in the journal Eurosurveillance, which is the peer-reviewed publication of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (the EU’s Stockholm-based version of the US CDC). The piece is an attempt to assess mathematically how the epidemic is growing, by using case reports to determine the “reproductive number.” (Note for non-epidemiology geeks: The basic reproductive number — usually shorted to R0 or “R-nought” — expresses how many cases of disease are likely to be caused by any one infected person. An R0 of less than 1 means an outbreak will die out; an R0 of more than 1 means an outbreak can be expected to increase. If you saw the movie Contagion, this is what Kate Winslet stood up and wrote on a whiteboard early in the film.)

The Eurosurveillance paper, by two researchers from the University of Tokyo and Arizona State University, attempts to derive what the reproductive rate has been in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. (Note for actual epidemiology geeks: The calculation is for the effective reproductive number, pegged to a point in time, hence actually Rt.) They come up with an R of at least 1, and in some cases 2; that is, at certain points, sick persons have caused disease in two others.

You can see how that could quickly get out of hand, and in fact, that is what the researchers predict. Here is their stop-you-in-your-tracks assessment:

In a worst-case hypothetical scenario, should the outbreak continue with recent trends, the case burden could gain an additional 77,181 to 277,124 cases by the end of 2014.

That is a jaw-dropping number....

« Reply #2443 on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »
A Tale of Two Chinas

A new survey underscores the relative deprivation of China’s rural population.

A new survey released this week emphasizes that the biggest divide between Chinese citizens continues to be among rural and urban residents.

This week Gallup and Healthways released their annual Global Well-Being Index, “a global barometer of individuals’ perceptions of their well-being.” The survey explores the notion of well-being from a holistic perspective. Besides financial and physical well-being, the index also measures factors like social well-being (“having supportive relationships and love in your life”), community well-being (“liking where you live, feeling safe, and having pride in your community”), and purpose well-being (“liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals”).

Overall, China ranks poorly on many of these indicators. Just 9 percent of Chinese are thriving in purpose compared to 13 percent in the Asia-Pacific and 18 percent worldwide. Similarly, with regard to community well-being, just 16 percent of Chinese citizens are thriving compared to 25 percent in the region and 26 percent globally. China is also slightly below the regional and far below the global average on social well-being, and the 25 percent of Chinese who are thriving financially is the same as the regional and global averages. Only on physical well-being is China above average both regionally and globally.

However, a closer look at the data reveal that there is a clear divide among rural and urban Chinese on most metrics of well-being. For example, rural Chinese are nearly twice as likely to be suffering financially as urban Chinese (29 percent and 16 percent respectively). In other words, urban Chinese are slightly more likely to be thriving financially than the regional and global average, but rural Chinese are nearly 40 percent less likely to be thriving financially than Asians and the world writ large.

The Chinese scored lowest when it came to liking what they do each day and being motivated [to achieve] their goals, with 35 percent suffering compared to just 9 percent thriving. Indeed, Gallup recently concluded that “China still has one of the lowest rates of employee engagement in the world. Just 6% of Chinese workers overall are engaged in their jobs, while 68% are biding their time in the ‘not engaged’ category and 26% are actively disengaged and likely to be disrupting the efforts of their coworkers.” Still, office workers (largely concentrated in cities) fare better than their non-office counterparts in the purpose category, with 30 percent of the former suffering compared with 40 percent for the latter.

Rural Chinese are suffering when it comes to community well-being as well. Around 23 percent of urban Chinese are thriving on this measurement, compared to 25 percent of the region and 26 percent of the world. On the other hand, only 14 percent of rural Chinese are thriving when it comes to their community well-being.

The survey’s findings underscore that — despite the Hu Jintao-Wen Jiabao administration’s constant pledges to concentrate on rural residents — the rural-urban divide remains the predominant one among Chinese citizens. On the other hand, the survey suggests that the current Chinese administration’s efforts to increase the pace of urbanization should generally increase the well-being of Chinese citizens and likely strengthen regime stability.

« Reply #2444 on: September 19, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
China Just Gave Foreign Pharmacy Retailers A Big Green Light

It is not every day that the world’s most populous nation sends such a clear signal to a very specific sector that it is ready and open for business, and yet last week, China’s Ministry of Commerce (MOC) did precisely this when it set in motion a pilot project in 34 cities to sever pharmaceutical costs from patient’s bills.  This may seem an incremental and obvious decision to make, but if so, you would be overlooking the more important outcome the MOC has in mind.

As Caixin wrote last week, the intent behind the reforms was quite obvious: “The commerce ministry’s notice said large qualified drugstores should take the place of hospital pharmacies, and says that doctors should be responsible for making diagnoses and writing prescriptions that patients get filled at the private drugstores.”  The two Caixin reports added further on, “the notice also says more drugstores will be incorporated into the country’s medical insurance system, which allows patients to get reimbursed for spending on health care and medicines.”

This is the sort of groundbreaking pilot that is big enough (30+ cities) and specific enough (get hospitals out of the prescription sale business and incentivize private pharmacies by expanding what the national insurance plan pays for), that should be a huge green light to foreign pharmacy retailers.  If foreign companies wait too long to develop a coherent China strategy, they will find the pharmacy retail and OTC health retail sector – currently a fragmented mess in China – consolidating solely under the influence of Chinese pharmacy retail companies....