On your phone: Gmail or Outlook?

• 3 replies
On your phone: Gmail or Outlook?
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »
For those of the non-iPhone persuasion, what do use to sync your email, contacts, and calendars?

I've been using Google for calendars and contacts and Outlook for email, but lately, with Android 5.1 and Google Play Services whatever, I'm seeing literally 2 to 4 hours extra awake time on my battery stats. In other words, the phone keeps trying to contact Google servers and burning through hours of battery to do it. In the past you could freeze Google Play Services when you weren't using it, but doing that in Android 5 deletes the account from the phone and you have to set up again every time you want to sync or whatever. So I'm thinking I might de-Goog my phone. I don't know that Microsoft is any better, but it isn't blocked in China (yet), so....
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: On your phone: Gmail or Outlook?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:15:07 PM »
Cloudmagic mail works very well for my gmail and live accounts here. Check it out.

I found that Inbox (by Gmail) isn't as reliable in China as a 3rd party email app.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 07:18:31 PM »
Matter of fact, for everyday syncing, like contacts and email, I stayed with Hotmail. Provided you can find Email with Exchange, hotmail email is a lot less overhead on the phone. And, so far at least, contact with Microsoft servers has been, mostly, reliable. I still have the gmail address but it's really just to log in to services like news readers. Never used it as an actual email address.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:56 PM »
Matter of fact, for everyday syncing, like contacts and email, I stayed with Hotmail. Provided you can find Email with Exchange, hotmail email is a lot less overhead on the phone. And, so far at least, contact with Microsoft servers has been, mostly, reliable. I still have the gmail address but it's really just to log in to services like news readers. Never used it as an actual email address.

Oh nice!

Same for me with the gmail address. You can't really use Nexus phones without it xD