Things other expats do that drive you insane

• 241 replies
Re: Things other expats do that drive you insane
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
cause i am assuming that i am talikig to other native english speakers and not ESL students I'm not gonna change my way of speaking, sorry bro. I wanna feel comfortable here and if i knew someone was gonna censor my use of words I would be posting over on ESL cafe where fellas like turnoi will yap away about it.
As tp clearly define age i am referrig to the older men that if they were in America would not be visiting a niteclub surrounded by people 20 to 30 years their junior. just imagine a dude that doesnt fit in with the majority and thats probably whom I am talking about. But thats just what bothers me, not that they are old but that they think they can come here and behave like someone much less their age.

gonzo

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »
But thats just what bothers me, not that they are old but that they think they can come here and behave like someone much less their age.
But they can, and they do! As they irritate you so much don't spend time with them. Don't frequent dives where young women who don't find older men disgusting gather.......to find older men. Join Hillside Church and disapprove of others having fun, especially when you're obviously missing out..
Yo bro, wanna gonna........and for those English speakers amongst us? You might speak like that, but in writing its called extremely informal, bordering on semi-literate. Dude.
Unless you're African-American, grow up.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
You see that at home as well, i don't know it's specific to China at all. Lots of men in their 40s or 50s will have a mid life crisis and start chasing young girls. Some young girls are attracted to older men and older men are attracted to young women....

I was actually surprised by China how little you see the stereotype of old men with beauties on their arms. I mean, there are those bars where old men go to get drunk and pay for other stuff with young girls, but that isn't a foreigner thing

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
I think everyone in this thread should maybe take a deep breath and calm down?

I object to this. The way many of us talk has nothing to do with race. I'm from the southern USA, y'all, and I'm shonuff gonna talk in a way I feel comfortable.

"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
So anyway - what do you call it when he's 50 and she's 25? Is it an April-October romance? A friend of mine is curious.

There are of course older men here who talk about finding gals 24/7 but there's many young men who do the same thing. I want to drown them all but I think that's illegal.

ababababab

gonzo

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

I object to this. The way many of us talk has nothing to do with race. I'm from the southern USA, y'all, and I'm shonuff gonna talk in a way I feel comfortable.

Talk? No problem! Gonna, wanna, man, dude are spoken variants. When we write like this [and you never do Raoul, in fact I never heard you talk like this] we have a wider audience.  That's my point. Semi-literate people do write the way they talk, be it from Far North Queensland or Deepest Six Toe County, regrettably. However, this is a forum where educated people post [no, not "hang out", or even "chill"], so I'd prefer English to Gibberish.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »
Is there any hope of getting this thread back on its original topic?

If you want to criticise someone's writing style, either send him or her a personal message or start a new thread for that discussion.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »

Talk? No problem! Gonna, wanna, man, dude are spoken variants. When we write like this [and you never do Raoul, in fact I never heard you talk like this] we have a wider audience.  That's my point. Semi-literate people do write the way they talk, be it from Far North Queensland or Deepest Six Toe County, regrettably. However, this is a forum where educated people post [no, not "hang out", or even "chill"], so I'd prefer English to Gibberish.

The name of this forum is Raoul's China Saloon, which should be an indication of the levels of formality required to post here. To call people semi-literate for posting in a colloquial way is a little over the top.

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »

I think that it's actually the crack about old guys and young girls that heated this convo up, so maybe back off that one for a while, eh guys?

And rightly so too, to each their own and who the hell is anybody else to object where another person finds their happiness/shits 'n giggles.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

gonzo

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
The name of this forum is Raoul's China Saloon, which should be an indication of the levels of formality required to post here. To call people semi-literate for posting in a colloquial way is a little over the top.

And, interestingly , Fozzwaldus posts in clear English. No wanna gonna dude, just clear, correct language. Its not that difficult. As for colloquial, that is saved for people you know who speak the same variant as you. This is a broadly based forum, including ESL speakers.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
I don't think kevcom1 complained about older guys and young girls so much as the bragging about it. I am an oldish guy dating young girls and I agree with him. I get annoyed when the young guys brag about their conquests too. It's disrespectful to women most of the time and just generally comes across as rude and insecure.

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:27 PM »
@Stil - yeah, fair enough.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »
It's weird how people brag more about going to prostitutes than meeting lovely girls and having a great day at the park etc

NATO

« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2012, 12:35:33 AM »
I always see forums and whatnot as basically a cheap replacement for sitting somewhere and having a chat with people. As such I find it perfeckly natural that people should type to represent the way they speak, if they wanna.

Also the idea that in my downtime and day-to-day life I should be a bastion and beacon of all that is correct and proppa in the English language just in case an ESL learner get's the wrong idea, is frankly scary. I think it's best to provide students with the tools to judge when it's appropriate to use different forms of language, it's certainly easier than trying to stop people using them anyway.

I agree with stil as well, conducting yourself with respect towards other people is ultimately the key. I think there's a bigger problem here that's got nothing to do with "old" or "young" and more to do with "home" and "away". I mean those people that come here and for some reason act in a blatantly disrespectful way to the people and culture here, in a way that they probably wouldn't back home. Maybe when you're faced with a language you can't speak and a culture you can't (or in some cases, don't even want to try to) understand, then it's easy to dehumanise people and begin to act inappropriately. Whatever the reason, it's still inexcusable.

Paul

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2012, 01:01:47 AM »
I'm not easily annoyed about anything.  But one thing I find tedious, verging on bloody annoying is expats who can't stop whining about just about everything that happens in China, and how it doesn't happen in Canada/America/Holland or wherever.

Live and let live!

Mind your own business!

Don't try to impose your value system!

Enjoy the baijiu!

Chill!

Have fun!