Guns

• 270 replies
Re: Guns
« Reply #255 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
Another really sad part about that young Aussie guy being gunned down, was that the perps were about 15yrs old. bibibibibi Apparently they would have continued on their rampage had they not been apprehended so quickly. As teachers, it must make many of you folk wonder what could happen if an incident really got out of hand in your classroom or School grounds. I saw something on the News which showed several incidents of students attacking teachers and other students. This was to do with an article about discipline (or lack of it) in Aussie schools. In my day, one was very careful about any "bad" behaviour, as one could and would be caned by the Headmaster. We had tough kids in my day too, but they knew their place. To be perfectly honest, I feel that we are FAR too weak as a Nation in relation to discipline in schools, homes and jails (goals).  Sorry if I sound like an old goat, but when I was young, most people in the Country towns had weapons and we didn't have the huge problem we have today which necessitated the introduction of our very strict gun ownership laws. I keep saying "they are lucky that I don't run this Country". bibibibibi

CWL

« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »
When I was looking on the Internet for articles concerning the Aussie who was shot, most did not mention the race of the alleged shooters.  I did find two articles that mentioned one of them was white.  White my ass...  WTF   I knew something was up when the articles mentioned that the car was black but didn't mention the race of the shooters.  I am sure there won't be a peep heard about this from Jackson, Sharpton, etc... and our illustrious president won't say, "If I had a son, he would look like one of them".  Regardless if the shooter is white, black, brown, etc..., it is always the parents that get me when they say shit like:  "My son is not that way” or “My son is a good kid".  Furthermore, Obama and HUD can kiss my ass concerning their Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing proposal. 

Yee Haw America!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/police_australian_player_killed_J8hM1jhw9Us1DltFFWCGQM

« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
What really stands out to me, is that these young people did not appear to consider that there would be consequences.  bibibibibi  As a species, we certainly appear to be evolving in a manner which does not give me any confidence. Most animal species know that there is a code of behaviour to be followed. Why not mankind? We just seem to look for excuses. On TV right now, they are discussing the fact that we are becoming a Nation of bystanders, particularly when it comes to bullying. bibibibibi I know that this is really about guns, but ultimately it comes down to human behaviour.

CWL

« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »
http://www.ibtimes.com/beijing-bans-selling-knives-attempt-curb-stabbings-after-two-fatal-attacks-1359229

Beijing officials went on a city-wide crackdown on illegal weapons on Monday, seizing over 300 guns. (Private firearms are not permitted in China.) But they went further. The following day, Beijing police issued an order instructing supermarkets to take knives off their shelves after two separate stabbing incidents left three people dead and three others injured last week.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-07/29/content_16847897.htm

... a man was randomly attacking passersby with a knife on the side of a road in the city's Luohu District.

Yee Haw!

A-Train

« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:05 AM »
I am sure there won't be a peep heard about this from Jackson, Sharpton, etc... and our illustrious president won't say, "If I had a son, he would look like one of them". 

I have no idea what parallel you think you're drawing here.  In the Travon Martin case the shooter was tried and found not guilty. Are you supposing that this is what might happen with crazed mass-murderers like this last one?  What's the connection?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »
I am temporarily locking this topic so that it can be reviewed by the moderator team. I am also throwing it in the pit, where it probably should have been to begin with.

Please everyone review the Saloon rules. This thread breaks them outright and we've been tolerant of it so far as it has been a mostly civil discussion, but it is starting to cross certain lines.

« Reply #261 on: August 24, 2013, 01:36:08 AM »
Unlocking this thread again.

Please keep it civil and respectful. Also? The Saloon is probably not the place to discuss certain sensitive issues. Religion, race, politics -- coversations on these topics have the potential to do some very lasting damage to our community. There are lots of forums on the internet specifically designed for debating current events that are much more "anything goes" than we are able to be here. The Saloon needs to remain a safe place for ALL members to discuss issues that (for the most part) relate to living and working in China. To quote our own forum rules, written by the Duke himself:

9. It is strongly requested that you avoid topics, such as religion, military service, and so on, that evoke strong personal feelings and lend themselves to angry debate or worse. DO state your mind in a civil manner, but please think carefully about what you write here.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2013, 04:34:25 AM »
I am sure there won't be a peep heard about this from Jackson, Sharpton, etc... and our illustrious president won't say, "If I had a son, he would look like one of them". 

I have no idea what parallel you think you're drawing here.  In the Travon Martin case the shooter was tried and found not guilty. Are you supposing that this is what might happen with crazed mass-murderers like this last one?  What's the connection?

What I think he means is soon after Travon Martin was shot Jackson and Sharpton were mugging for the camera screaming it was a case of racism and needs to be prosecuted on a federal level as a hate crime (which could still happen to Zimmerman despite the fact he was acquitted). 

Up to now all we have seen from Jackson was a tweet saying it was "senseless violence and should be frowned upon." Sharpton on his TV show saying the "killing wasn't racial, it was a random act and the system worked, the kids were arrested.

gonzo

« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »
I started this thread 18 pages ago, but haven't really checked it since. This journal article is worth a read, or at least a browse, if only to check the table of gun ownership and gun related death by country. South Africa is the only odd statistic: low gun ownership, high gun related deaths. This probably has something to do with the white minority owning guns, and shooting at the black majority, who can't afford them bcbcbcbcbc bcbcbcbcbc.
http://www.amjmed.com/webfiles/images/journals/ajm/AJM12080.pdf
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
Is that registered gun ownership or unregistered gun ownership? One could, to play the devil's advocate, argue that firearms related casualties could just as well be carried out by people of the same skin colour but using illegal firearms, which then could lead to a defensible questioning of the statistics in the journal. Also, I recall an episode of "Yes, Prime Minister" in which Sir Humphrey Appleby proves to Bernard that one can, essentially, make statistics prove anything one wants.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

gonzo

« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
one can, essentially, make statistics prove anything one wants.
You can prove anything using statistics. 89% of people know that! [attr. Homer Simpson]
I'm not sure how you get statistics for unregistered ownership.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
Increased number of guns would tend to increase the chances of murdered via guns, the same way that increased numbers of cars increase one's chances of being deliberately run over.  On the other hand, do guns and gun control laws do anything to decrease one's overall chances of being murdered?

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »
So if everyone owns guns, then murder rates might go down.... Great, USA jails must be nearly empty....oh, wait a sec...!  mmmmmmmmmm

gonzo

« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
On the other hand, do guns and gun control laws do anything to decrease one's overall chances of being murdered?
http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pd
One would imagine so.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »
Spiffy conclusion. I have about 50 books next to me dealing with crime and punishment from Mesopotamia to present day and murder, heinous or otherwise, crops up rather a lot in them, before and after the invention of the gun. Gun control deals, one could argue, with the legal acquisition of firearms, obtaining licenses and such. Criminals, being right rapscallions, rarely bother with such niceties. So gun control does, indeed, limit the possibility of one getting gunned down by a person who has legally acquired a gun. It does not, however, do jack-diddley to prevent you getting shot by some shady character who purchased a firearm with the serial number filed off...or stabbed..or strangled...or bludgeoned...run over...tazed....decapitated...shot with a bow'n'arrow/crossbow...poisoned...hung...no guns would definitely limit the possibility of getting murdered.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.