New Laws Banning Language Centers, Foreign Teachers?

• 4 replies

Ivyman

New Laws Banning Language Centers, Foreign Teachers?
« on: August 06, 2021, 03:31:50 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have heard a lot of rumors and Chinese legal notes.

Can anyone give clarity?

1.  What is happening with language centers?  Are all definitely shutting down?

2.  There are also rumors that all foreigners are getting kicked out of China?  Is there any truth in that?

Of course, actual evidence would be better than rumors.

Re: New Laws Banning Language Centers, Foreign Teachers?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »
My research on this only brings up results about online language schools having to go non-profit, and stop hiring foreign teachers.  Seems to only affect ESL teachers doing online tuition from outside CN, for private companies.  Is this what you heard about, perhaps?

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 01:19:04 PM »
Why China Is Cracking Down Now on After-School Tutors

China’s private education companies had for years been the darlings of investors from New York to Shanghai, building a $100 billion industry on the promise of the world’s largest and arguably most-competitive schooling system. Then they got caught up in the Chinese government’s sweeping efforts to rein in the country’s technology giants, with a regulatory clampdown unveiled in July after months of rumbling that threatens to put an end to years of out-sized growth. The industry’s rise -- and future -- hinges on two of the most powerful and anxiety-inducing forces in China today: the pursuit of wealth and status, and the Communist Party’s enduring obsession with maintaining social order.

China's new private tutoring rules put billions of dollars at stake

HONG KONG, July 26 (Reuters) - China's sweeping new rules in private tutoring has left private education firms facing a significant business impact as Beijing steps up regulatory oversight of a $120 billion industry that investors had bet billions of dollars on in recent years.

The new rules released on Friday bars for-profit tutoring in core school subjects in an effort to boost the country's birth rate by lowering family living costs.

The news sent shockwaves through the sector and parents struggled to understand how exactly the move would impact their children in a highly competitive education system.

Haven't seen any news specific to language teaching yet.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 07:48:26 PM »
As I understand it, after-school, weekend, and summer vacation classes for main school subjects are ending (at least for certain types of companies) for elementary-high school students.  At the same time, schools are being asked to keep homework assignments to reasonable levels.

I believe that out of school tutoring for other subjects is still permitted.  Classes in all subjects for adults should be unaffected.

Schools themselves should still be able to hire FTs or to rent them from outside language mills.

If this will extend past publicly traded corporations to privately held ones isn't quite clear yet.  We're hearing a lot more about the big publicly traded ones because the stocks took a beating.  My personal suspicion is that it will apply to privately held companies sooner or later, since the idea seems to be to both give children more time to be children and to also reduce the economic burden on parents.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »
Thanks.

So, figuring that many of us in this forum are native speakers, from native countries.  What does that mean?

1.  Certainly, extreme rumors that us foreigners will be forced out of China is not true at all.

2.  Prime jobs in the daytime are essentially three places:

a.  Public school and university jobs: low paid but light workload
b.  Guojibu's: rich Chinese kids who don't want to take Chinese public education, instead of having a cash cow business stationed at a big name school
c.  True international schools, only taking foreigners with passports, make up their own rules.

3.  It sounds like only night and weekend jobs, including online will be affected.  We do not even know how.

4.  Any way the rest of us can make the best use of the situation?