How to Increase Student Talk Time?

• 4 replies

Ivyman

How to Increase Student Talk Time?
« on: July 09, 2021, 09:24:49 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My weakest point is student talk time.

I want students to talk more, but am not sure how.

Any tips, video clips, etc.?

AMonk

Re: How to Increase Student Talk Time?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 12:55:23 AM »
Have you checked The Teachers' Lounge, yet?  mmmmmmmmmm
There's tons & oodles & lots of tips and hints on a wide range of Topics.  You might/could find a solution (or two) that you can use bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Happy Hunting agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »
Big picture?

For Chinese students, culture and prior student experience play a much larger role than standard language lesson plans typically address. In Chinese classrooms, students are accustomed to reading and listening as their primary mode of learning. They agree that teacher speaks and students listen. In that kind of environment their main speaking role is as model. Where called upon, they will deliver a speech for all to hear that the teacher will correct. They don't speak much for themselves and speaking to classmates contains no learning.

That's to say, Chinese students (and teachers) wholeheartedly accept that Chinese social roles will, do and must mediate language use. And why wouldn't they? Going to class shouldn't mean abandoning your culture, right?

Basically, call upon individuals to make speeches, prepare some kind of polarising debate class, or create some new social system within your classroom that grants novel but functional speaking roles that students can be taught to direct by themselves.

Little picture? They need some kind of immediate reward for using communicative language. Some kind of payoff. Personally, I find students are more engaged the more obvious it is to them that they are using their ability successfully. Typically the payoff is not provided by me, the teacher, but by them, the classmates, when it becomes clear to the student they have used a foreign language to make their classmates understand something new.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:34:55 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »
Group work with very clear aims.
Give them the language that you want them to use focus on vocab because they are much better with vocab but put the grammar in as well. Have them in small groups do something super easy like making a list or standard excercises. Then put those groups into bigger groups and have them put something together to present to the class using those words
Even if they are good at speaking, they don't like open ended stuff. For example, give them a list of facts and make them turn it into sentences which they can then present.

If they are working in groups you can circulate and then you don't have to resist the temptation to talk to the whole class.

Ivyman

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »
Thank you.  I will look on the "Teaching Topic" sub-group.