QQ Mail vs my email client

• 7 replies
QQ Mail vs my email client
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:49:37 PM »
I'm going to be using the email address that goes with my QQ number to accept an assload of makeup exam papers. I could just use the web interface but, as mentioned, assload, so I'm attempting to set up a mail client to download all the email (plus attachments) to my (Linux, and therefore hopefully student virus proof) computer. But it's not working.

I'm pretty sure the basic Type, Server, Port, and SSL arrangement is:
Incoming: IMAP   imap.qq.com   993   Yes
Outgoing: SMTP   smtp.qq.com   465   Yes

But it's just not working. Authentication fails. The client, fwiw, is Evolution on Ubuntu 16.04.2. But I suspect QQ Mail itself is refusing to play because my account isn't secure enough? When I try through settings on the web interface to "open" the IMAP/SMTP service, I get sent (first to the same damn page but in Chinese, and then) to a password security page that tells me I haven't got security questions set up and my password's, I don't know, too short?

So, basically, I have to change my password?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: QQ Mail vs my email client
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
Maybe I'm too dumb to understand the problem, but in general I just have mail forwarding setup on my QQ email, which I give out to students, which shuttles the mail over to my personal address which I endeavor to keep personal.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:34:52 AM »
Could work. Assuming email forwarding doesn't have those same security issues.... I'll find out later. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
Logged into the web interface of English language QQ Mail
Went to Settings (link in top right corner where it says "Settings")
On the Settings page, went to the tab called "Labs"
Discovered there a "lab" called "IMAP Service", which you just click (and authenticate) to turn on
Went back to Evolution on my computer and entered all the IMAP, SMTP, username and etc pertinent data again, and....

Service just asks for my password over and over....   

Which I suspect means some kind of authentication failure, like the password is not being accepted (because exactly the same authentication loop happens if I deliberately input a dud password).

Auto-forwarding is available too. It's right there on the General tab on the Settings page. But I don't want in general to use offline email reading. I want it just for this makeup exam thing. So I don't, in principle, want to download all my email just to get this makeup stuff.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »
Owing to all that screwing around, I got this sent to me:

亲爱的用户:

你正在尝试使用第三方客户端(如Foxmail邮件客户端)登录QQ邮箱,由于密码错误,系统暂时阻止你登录。若你开启了独立密码,请使用独立密码登录。若未开启,请开启后使用独立密码登录。

如果这并非你本人所为,建议你登录QQ安全中心修改帐号密码。你也可以下载更安全快捷的QQ邮箱客户端,全面支持邮件通用协议,为大部分邮箱提供自动配置功能,免却客户端添加帐号的繁琐步骤。立即体验

Which I believe means:

Dear User:

You are trying to use a third party client (such as Foxmail mail client) login QQ mailbox, because the password is wrong, the system temporarily prevent you from logging in. If you have an independent password, please log in using a separate password. If it is not turned on, please use a separate password to log in.

If this is not your own, I suggest you log QQ security center to modify the account password. You can also download a more secure and fast QQ mailbox client, fully support the mail general agreement, for most of the mailbox to provide automatic configuration function, eliminating the cumbersome steps to add the account client. Experience immediately

So I'm wondering what the hell is this "independent password" thing. I went to the web QQ, went to Settings > Accounts > Independent Password Setting 

Got told:

Your QQ ID has not been applied to one of protection method such as Mobile for password protection or QQ MobileToken or QQ Token. To protect your interests, temporarily unable to turn on Independent Password for you.

And there's a button there called "Bind now", but that sends me to the same QQ Security Center (aq.qq.com)

So, like, they really, really, really want me to use SMS verification or some such security measure first?

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 07:01:13 PM »
I guess I may just be using the auto-forwarding feature then. One could always deactivate it after the paper due date, late work being unacceptable and all.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
I guess I may just be using the auto-forwarding feature then. One could always deactivate it after the paper due date, late work being unacceptable and all.

I probably will in the end too. Making Evolution work with my private email was literally as straightforward as entering that email address. Evolution polled the server based on the email address and set up all the rest by itself. (As a paranoid internet user I am not especially eager to link all my accounts in the eyes and cyber ears of the monumental services in the sky, so I'm hoping to make a direct QQ Mail to local mail client thing work, but seems like it might be too complicated right now.... bibibibibi)

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
I have begun to suspect that to use an email client with QQ Mail, you need a separate "email client" password. That is, you need to set up one of these "independent password" things, which (I suspect) is basically just another password but for use in apps and other clients that download mail. But to set up this independent password, you need one of the newer authentication measures in place, such as SMS verification (or whatever the hell these QQ token things are). I think this independent password thing is a relatively standard practice. (I know one of my international email services requires such things and calls it an "app password".) I also think setting it up is going to be way more of a chore than I need for the task at hand, so email forwarding here I come.