Useful Chinese drinking games

• 2 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Useful Chinese drinking games
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:24:29 PM »
What useful Chinese drinking games have you been taught?

Last weekend I was taught "The Train Game".  This one is useful because it practises 'jiu yao' construction and teaches Chinese place names.  Each player/drinker chooses the name of a Chinese town - firstly with 2 characters.  The starter begins by saying e.g."Xi'an huoche jiu yao kai"  (The Xi'an train is about to leave).  All others answer "Wan de kai a?" (Where will it go?) and the starter points to another player who has to answer with the name s/he has chosen "Lanzhou kai".  If you add 'a' at the end of xxx kai, or are too slow at answering, then you get to drink.  That person then starts the game again "Lanzhou huoche jiu yao kai"  etc and points to another person at the right time.  You keep the same town name, but the process becomes faster and faster.  After a length of time you change to choosing names with 3 characters "Ha'erbin huoche ..." etc.  Then 4, 5 and until you all forget any place names you ever knew.

I also like the dice game shaizi (??? sp George??) that is always played in bars and nightclubs.  Good for learning the number hand signals.

Any others??

Re: Useful Chinese drinking games
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:44:19 PM »
Sounds like fun. The dice game was the only one I ever learned. A lot of my memories from China are about the click-clack sound of dice hitting a wooded surface and stumbling home incredibly intoxicated. Did I mention I was never very good at bluffing and lying...same reason why I never play poker for money..
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Re: Useful Chinese drinking games
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:36:02 AM »
Apart from Liar Dice?  let's see... our students had to design games for their group project last semester.  Half were drinking games (and were copied  ffffffffff ).

Mice: 
"How many mice?"
"Four."
"Catch!" Snatching motion
"Run." Back of hand to forehead/
"Catch!"
"Catch!"
"Run."
"Catch!"
"Home!!!"  clap your hands.  Last one to do it drinks.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com