Black Man In China video podcast

• 9 replies

moon over parma

Black Man In China video podcast
« on: June 07, 2007, 04:55:45 AM »
Have any saloonitics out there checked out the video podcast called "Black Man In China?"
I found it an infectuously funny, even-handed project. It was done by an American named Ron Simms. He was living in Fuzhou up until January and that is where much of his video podcast originates from. Each episode runs about 10 minutes and they are free for downloading. The only catch is that you need Quicktime, or something like the VLC player (which is totally free and supports just about every video and audio format a computer can play, minus Real Media) to watch the episodes (which you need to download. There's no streaming from the site). Of course, you can simply throw 'em on your video I-Pod if you have one.

There are 25 episodes, and I have to admit that once I started watching the podcast I couldn't stop. I ended up spending an evening watching all 25 episodes. There's some genuinely funny sutff on there, and Simms has an endearing charm.

If anyone out there has seen it, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on his podcast, since I'm looking at it from the outside-in.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Black Man In China video podcast
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:06:47 AM »
Try to give it a look...
Meanwhile, I HAVE to know. Who is that masked man in your avatar? Looks a bit like Commander USA but not sure...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

moon over parma

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:13:26 AM »
Try to give it a look...
Meanwhile, I HAVE to know. Who is that masked man in your avatar? Looks a bit like Commander USA but not sure...

Excellent observation, RD.   bfbfbfbfbf That's exactly who it is.

moon over parma

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »
I totally forgot to include the link to the video blog!  bibibibibi

Here it is:
http://www.tv.rsims2.com/

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 02:54:39 AM »
Thanks, MOP. Xiexie.  Last night I watched the session he shot in his HS classroom. Students sneaking text messages on their phones not doing assignments and then trying to hide it.... His "aside" slides. Yep, he's primed for cult hero status.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 03:44:36 AM »
ha... this guy has a real talent. :)
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 03:56:43 AM »
I'm hooked.  That's some good shit.
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

teleplayer

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 04:58:34 AM »
MOP,
 Have you ever communicated with Ron? We should ask if he'd like to join this merry band of miscreants where he may have a following developing--well, okay, we know three of us like his work for sure and he seems like he would have some good (and probably as entertaining as insightful) observations to make from the non-white perspective.

moon over parma

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 06:12:56 AM »
MOP,
 Have you ever communicated with Ron?

No, I haven't.

I'm a blog-whore. I became one while teaching on the island that China has a mad crush on (and some loose cltural ties to). I have a mighty set of China-related blogs bookmarked. I read all kinds of blogs, though,  and when I have the time I listen in or view the podcasts I come across. Ron's had me hooked after a couple of episodes and his project woudl be the first that I've watched every single episode of. Sadly, he left China in January.

Outside of an occasional comment on a blog, I never make the effort to contact the authors.

However, I see that Ron has a contact page:
http://xinbox.com/tace105

teleplayer

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
Thanks, MOP. Found the contact info on his site and have sent him a note. Will PM if he says anything you might want to know. He may tell me to  bbbbbbbbbb-off.