Yang En University, near Quanzhou, Fujian

• 20 replies

jpd01

Re: Yang En University, near Quanzhou, Fujian
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
Why not do the opposite? Be a full time student and get a part time job? For study centric people working around a study program can be a bit of a pain in the arse. But finding flexible part time work to fit around your study is usually an easier fit.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »
Hey I'm supposed to be working at a daycare in Quanzhou. ... Can someone tell me about the area?

A starting point is:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Quanzhou

Do a web search on "Quanzhou expat" to turn up a foreigners' association.

If you have more questions, start a new thread here, since this is no longer about Yang En.

I was hoping to work and attend a University at the same time to get another degree. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Universities in the area?

There are several. I'd say avoid Yang En, especially since it is 40 minutes or so by bus from town. There's at least an Overseas Chinese U and a "Normal University" (originally, teachers' college, but now broader) in the city. Xiamen University, under an hour away by train, has the best reputation in the province.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:51:32 PM »
Hello,

I just received an offer from Yang-En University. Based on what I have read both good and bad, I am inclined to turn them down. I currently have a job at a public school and I am inclined to stay for another year here. I would be happy, though, to hear any current feedback about Yang-En from current and former teachers.

Thanks!
 bhbhbhbhbh

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
I have nothing current to add, but would advise that this school has been rating complaints on EFL forums since long before I first came to China, and is still doing so today. My advice? Give this place a serious miss. kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »
I'm a former Yang En teacher and started this thread some years back. Read the whole thread if you want some of the history. In one post, I wrote:

Talking to friends at Yang En. What I'm hearing changes my advice from "not recommended" to "avoid like the plague"!

I am still in touch with other former Yang En teachers and occasionally hear from one who, last I heard, was still there but looking for work elsewhere. The advice above stands: "avoid like the plague"!
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
Hello, I am new to this forum and wanted to share about my own experience at Yang En. I have been teaching at YEU since September of 2004. When I arrived and for about 5 years it was the greatest place on earth for me. I lovd my classes, didn't mind being outside of Quanzhou City which is about 40 minutes away. There was a large international staff at the time I arrived. In 2005 the man whose dream it was to build the university passed away and family members took over the administration. Since that time, the university has gone from good to bad to very bad.
They no longer keep their contracts, have taken away any air or travel allowance unless you have proof of purchase of leaving the country. They have not paid their staff on time and refused to pay Overtime until the end of the term. This past year we've had Chinese teachers "protest" and "strike" refusing to teach unless there were changes. The government stepped in when they went on strike. For the past two months we have been paid our salary and overtime at the end of the month according to our contract.
Equipment in classrooms have not been repaired since 2008 and the WC has no running water in a majority of the buildings holding classrooms.
The students are just as lovely as ever and I still enjoy my classes, but I am saddened to say that this is the last year for me at this university. It's time to move on.
I would not encourage others to apply to come here unless they can overlook the things metnioned above. Even the majority of Chinese teachers will be leaving and not returning for the next term. I hope this is helpful to those looking for future employment in China or the Quanzhou area.

Update: Since posting the above I have made arrangements to leave the university and this has been a nightmare!
When trying to get my "letter of reference" (which is required by law in order to leave and find another job in the same province) I was given the run around stating they were not  allowed to sign or seal (by stamp) any documents with approval from the woman in charge. I had Chinese friends call the government in Fuzhou and were they in turn were told that this was, in fact, a legal document but that they were also aware of concerns in this university. To make a very long story short, the president who has been here for the past year suddenly disappeared and the Government sent another one to replace him just for the duration of the graduating ceremony so they'd have a signature on their Diploma when they graduated. If it were not for this "stand in" Vice President, who cares nothing for the woman in charge or shows no fear of her commanded the Foreign Affairs Office to do their job and stamp the document as required, I would not have got my Visa to stay in this country. If it were not for this man, I'd still be fighting for my stamp. All the while they kept asking me to stay! As it turns out, the stand in VP was a friend of university trying to get my new Visa.  bjbjbjbjbj As the time comes to leave here, I am only too happy to say goodbye to a place I once took so much pleasure being a part of.
Once again, I would encourage other teachers to not come here. She is running the place into the ground. It's plain and simple that she wishes to bring it to it's end. For what reason? Who knows? You do not want to be a part of it!
Students have said the University was a Level 2 in the Province, but has been put down to a Level 3 meaning that only students from Fujian province will be admitted and the story is that there are very few students applying to come here next term. Many, many Chinese teachers are also leaving and at this time there are only the remaining Filipino teachers (6 in total) and 2 foreign teachers who are staying. One from the UK and one American.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:05:40 PM by yeu2011 »