What Are These New Government Rules for "China Only" Curriculum?

• 2 replies

Ivyman

What Are These New Government Rules for "China Only" Curriculum?
« on: September 05, 2022, 05:26:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I know there are government mandated rules in Beijing, etc. But, I have no clue about what it means.

1. Does it mean that there are no more foreign textbooks? These books need to be printed in China, even if the author is from over-seas?

2. What does it mean for our curriculum, day-to-day teaching, etc.?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What Are These New Government Rules for "China Only" Curriculum?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 03:43:37 PM »
 I haven't even heard of this one.  The foreign press has nothing on a "China Only" Curriculum in a news search.  This makes me suspect it's likely either a rumor or an incorrect name for a proposal than a policy or even an announcement of an upcoming policy.

Generally, there are three phases to any major policy.

1.  A general concept is announced.

2.  People wildly speculate about all possible ways to interpret it.  Outside press often sensationalizes the worst possible misinterpretations.

3.  The detailed rules come out a few days or weeks later and we all find out what's really happening.

Yes, there are occasionally surprises where the announcement comes with full rules attached, but those aren't as common.

Additionally, big policy changes usually get tested somewhere.  The economic opening up of China was tested in special economic zones.  Common Prosperity is currently being heavily tested in one province.  This allows concepts to be checked for viability and viable concepts to be further optimized before being rolled out nationwide.  Again, there are the occasional nationwide surprises, but those are not so common.

Check and see if you can find an online source for this.  That should make it easier to see if this has a different name and whether it's a rumor, a proposal, or something else.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: What Are These New Government Rules for "China Only" Curriculum?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 06:03:42 AM »
I'm currently teaching my old job online for a big university and it's exactly the same, there were no guidelines told to me

This year is actually a lot better than previous years since I'm teaching IELTS and they gave me a real book published by HarperCollins rather than one of those really weird Chinese ones that they used to give me for speaking!

I get the impression that what that policy was attacking was the 'International Schools' which were just private schools for middle class Chinese with a lot of foreign teachers doing ALevel and IB courses instead of the mad Chinese system that working class Chinese have to do and those online schools that proliferated a couple of years ago.