International Air Travel - will it resume?

• 4 replies
International Air Travel - will it resume?
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
Does anyone have any kind of idea about when or if international travel will become more regular?

As of right now (June 18, 2020), I believe Singapore, for instance, allows transit from China only to approved passengers?!

And is Hong Kong allowing transit at all currently?

What about other destinations and directions?

If you have any links or advisories or places to get decent information, maybe post here.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: International Air Travel - will it resume?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 04:15:28 PM »
There was some talk of allowing Mainlanders and HK ren to be able to go back and forth without having to be quarantined.  I'm not sure how the current hotspot in BJ and the existence of imported cases on both sides will affect the plans.

I rather like the idea being floated between NZ and Australia.  A "travel bubble" for direct flights between countries with zero (or near zero) wild cases.  To keep it extremely safe, inbound flights from other places would need to fly into different airports (with their own quarantine facilities).

If a NZ-AU-CN bubble could be created, then the next step would be to provide assistance to nearby countries with the fewest cases - get them down to "eradicated or pretty damned close to eradicated" and they'll have the option to join the bubble.  This frees up resources in each of those countries (plus gives airlines more places to fly).  This allows more assistance to go to countries that need more help dealing with the virus.

The hard part would be negotiating a set of rules that all included countries would agree to absolutely follow (including rules for suspension from bubble status in the event of a new outbreak exceeding a certain number of cases).  The more countries, the more arguments over rules.  Still, if it could be done, this might convince more countries to stop screwing around and do what it takes to crush the curve instead of just having it level out.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:39:31 PM »
My knee jerk feeling is there's almost no chance China will be bubbled up with Australia. Australia had robust to the point of paranoid biosecurity regulation even before coronavirus, and currently looks likely to be keeping the borders closed up to and even into 2021. The only obvious crack in that wall is going to be how fast universities crumble without foreign students. Add in Australia's call for an investigation into the origin of coronavirus and it looks like no chance of Australia's political classes trusting China the way they're willing to pretend New Zealand is Little Australia, even if they really want that money

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
Singapore's allowing transit from more locations from June 22, including outbound from Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Shanghai.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=kataac8r