What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:56 PM »
Also known as 'tramp stamps' lol
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2008, 11:37:47 PM »
I don't think I like tramp stamp very much.  That spot happens to be a pretty good spot to get a tattoo, since one of the things you should consider is the 'sag' factor that comes with aging.  A lady I know who is in her fifties now told me that the butterfly that once fluttered near her breast has suffered a marked change in appearance.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2008, 12:50:58 AM »
Facebook lost for words over Scrabulous

Social networkers may have to search for another way to waste their time, as Facebook faces legal action from toy company Hasbro.

Scrabulous, based on the popular board game Scrabble, has attracted a huge following on Facebook in the past month, with more than 500,000 users playing it each day.

However, Scrabble's owner, Hasbro, is claiming a breach of copyright.

The Scrabulous game, which was developed by Indian brothers Rajat Agarwalla and Jayant Agarwalla, has become a big money earner for the pair.

It has been claimed that the brothers are receiving $US25,000 ($A27,853) per month in advertising revenue from Facebook.

According to Fortune magazine, Hasbro sent a cease-and-desist notice to Facebook asking them to remove the application.

"They sent a notice to Facebook about two weeks ago," Mr Agarwalla told Fortune.

"The lawyers are working on it."

In August last year, Hasbro signed an agreement with software company Electronic Arts to create electronic and online versions of its board games, including Scrabble and Monopoly.

In 2005, Hasbro shut down a similar unofficial online game called e-Scrabble.

Hasbro Australia has been contacted for comment.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »
 asasasasas asasasasas penny pinching sons of malodorous pachyderms! But the people of Facebook should perhaps be a bit more vigilant when it comes to managing their creation.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2008, 01:34:30 AM »
They could take Scrabulous away?   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shroomy

« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2008, 04:39:30 AM »
Just when I thought you were going to reappear and improve my stats.  I haven't had trouble all week.  Maybe it's the beer keg.  ahahahahah
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #351 on: January 17, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »
Moving upstream is a good idea. aoaoaoaoao

China Warns of Faulty Dams Danger, Plans Repairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEIJING - Just under half of China's nearly 90,000 dams are dangerously unstable and need urgent repair, the government said on Tuesday, unveiling a three-year plan to do just that costing 27 billion yuan (US$3.7 billion).

"Over the last several years, dams have had a very important effect on socio-economic development," Deputy Water Resources Minister Jiao Yong told a meeting carried live on central government Web site www.gov.cn.

"But many of these dams were built between the 1950s and 1970s, under conditions at the time which restricted objectivity," he added.

"The design and construction quality of many of these dams contain congenital deficiencies, and they are now old and in serious need of repairs. A large number have hidden dangers."

Chairman Mao Zedong, who died in 1976, ordered the country to develop at any cost, putting special emphasis on large-scale projects such as steelworks and dams.

Mao declared "man must conquer nature", and during his time in power engineers were feted for ambitious projects that sought to remould the landscape in pursuit of economic progress.

But many projects were hastily and poorly built, with little regard for the environment. In 1975, tens of thousands of residents of Henan province in central China died after two dams collapsed. That disaster was revealed to the public only in recent years.

Jiao said that of the roughly 87,000 dams in China, more than 37,000 were in a dangerous state.

"As the global climate heats up, weather extremes like torrential rain increases and as society and the economy develops downstream of dams, the potential danger gets greater and greater," he said.

"The huge number of dangerous dams has already become a weak link and unstable factor in flood prevention," Jiao said.

Vice Premier Hui Liangyu added that over the next three years the government would spend an annual average of more than 9 billion yuan to fix the problem.

"The task is very arduous, and work highly strenuous," Hui said.

Story Date: 16/1/2008

« Reply #352 on: January 17, 2008, 11:03:02 PM »
So Scrabulous is getting Hasbro'd, huh?   alalalalal  Frankly, I'm amazed it went on this long. 

What pisses me off is that Hasbro never developed Scrabble- Selchow and righter did.  Corporations- ooh- big greedy- oooh-  leave my candy alonne- pppppph!!!!!

Ya know.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #353 on: January 31, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
Married couple's blind dates a familiar story
(China Daily)
Updated: 2008-01-30 09:16

A couple in Chongqing municipality married six months ago but agreed to respect each other's privacy when it came to having "outside interests".

As a result Lu Yi, 27, and Huang Linqian, 26, went out on Friday for blind dates and discovered they would be dating each other.

Professor Wang Chengrong at Chongqing Industry and Commercial University said the pair did not understand the true meaning of marriage.

(Chongqing Evening News)

« Reply #354 on: January 31, 2008, 09:43:37 PM »
Professor Wang Chengrong at Chongqing Industry and Commercial University said the pair did not understand the true meaning of marriage.

I can't stop reading this.   ahahahahah Which particular stream of Industry and/or Commerce has successfully defined marriage?

I'll guess "Accounts receivable".  Why? Why not?

Any other theories?

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #355 on: February 01, 2008, 02:57:23 AM »
Married couple's blind dates a familiar story
(China Daily)
Updated: 2008-01-30 09:16

A couple in Chongqing municipality married six months ago but agreed to respect each other's privacy when it came to having "outside interests".

As a result Lu Yi, 27, and Huang Linqian, 26, went out on Friday for blind dates and discovered they would be dating each other.

(Chongqing Evening News)

Am I the only one who finds this story romantic? They are going to see other people and they end up with each other....it's such a sweet story..

They had to ask some professor. It looks bad in an article to list your source as "random married man we met in a bar".
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #356 on: February 01, 2008, 06:08:36 AM »
"I like pinana coladas and getting caught in the rain......"
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #357 on: February 01, 2008, 11:05:11 PM »
Hey, that's right!  I totally forgot about that song.  Life imitates art.

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2008, 09:30:50 PM »
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

George

• My view of China
« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
It's old news...18th July 2007, but I hadn't seen these vids before...
Check out  "related vids" too. Jinan is such an interesting place!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w49WpOysvOI&NR=1
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/