Buying a condo

• 4 replies

A-Train

Buying a condo
« on: May 23, 2023, 04:26:04 PM »
We're in the "Kabuki Theater" dance they call buying a condo.  The one we're interested in has a VERY soft spot in the wood flooring near the bathroom.  This is, to me, obviously water damage.  I keep insisting that we need to find the source of the problem and the extent of the damage before we'll buy.  They all (including my fiancée look at me like I have three heads. 

I know that an inspection just isn't done here, but is there a work-around?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Buying a condo
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 05:55:48 PM »
Unless the plan is "redecoration" (i.e.  toss in a couple grenades and scrape away the debris until only concrete and brick are showing before replacing EVERYTHING), point out to your intended that a rotting section of floor could require some very expensive repairs.

If you are doing a full Chinese style redecoration, skip the arguments and just make sure that any water and drain pipes for that bathroom are fully replaced.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 07:30:18 PM »
I've made that point many times to her and the realtor/owner.  It doesn't get through. I will just have to hold my ground cuz I know that water damage can be very severe and subtle. 

Word of the day: "Geomancer". A person who tells you the cosmic implications of any location where you're looking to buy.  Good, or bad, juju apparently
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 03:41:48 PM »
Obviously, good cosmic implications would outweigh the minor detail some or all of the condo (or entire building) rotting away because of a water leak. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 12:09:39 PM »
 aoaoaoaoao

ahahahahah ahahahahah

Lots uv Luck   agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...