• 1321 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Weather Check
« Reply #885 on: October 12, 2010, 07:13:45 PM »
When in doubt, do both.

« Reply #886 on: October 13, 2010, 06:51:05 AM »
Montreal: 2 centigrade today. Had to pull out my coat.

« Reply #887 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
Current temperature in "Sunny" Harbin now at 6am a warm -4C. Forecast Maximum 7/8C with probable snow tonight.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Ruth

« Reply #888 on: October 15, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »
I'll donate a few degrees to bring you guys up into the double digits.  That would bring me closer to a comfortable 20.  Currently in the high 20s here and still humid.  I count on October week holiday as the official end to the 'sauna' season, and this year temps were cooler that week, but they've gone back up again.  I hate teaching when I'm drenched in sweat.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #889 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
Ruth, students here have told me that the snow's started up north, and the massive drop in temps means down here will also massively drop over the next few days. They also told me that this winter will be colder than last, lots of rain expected.

Just when I'm thinking of stocking up on extra thermals anyway!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #890 on: October 15, 2010, 10:10:25 PM »
When in doubt, do both.

Wow! It worked.  Now it's cooler inside and outside!
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ruth

« Reply #891 on: October 16, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »
Well, giving away a few degrees in temp seemed to work, too.  Much more comfortable today.  Did you folks up north experience any warming?

« Reply #892 on: October 17, 2010, 12:04:10 AM »
Ruth .. No we haven't had any warming - actually colder I think.  Our maximum temperature today was 3C after our coldest overnight this winter of -4C - which was our first time below 0, though we have had 0C several times. We currently have light snow falling - our first snow of the season. Our forecast maximum tomorrow is 2C after an overnight low
of -7C.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #893 on: October 17, 2010, 01:57:27 AM »
Here in Changchun its neice and sunny while the sun is out. Once darkness sets, its cold, really cold. My uni is starting to deliver heat to the teachers' building though I'm not sure about the classrooms.

I saw a snowflake or two today. I'd be happier if it was just dandruff.

Last year was fricken cold! I almost wore longjohns. We were crying for heat in early October. Hear it is halfway into the month and we are only soon going to need it.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #894 on: October 17, 2010, 03:47:54 AM »
I think this winter so far in Harbin is at least as cold as last year (which was a record braeking cold year) and especially in terms of during the day colder earlier in the month compared to last year. Last October the first maximum temperature less than 10C was not until the 17th (7C) so tommorrow. This year we have so far had 3 days less than 10C 11th (7) 15th(6) and 16th (today - 2C) and on the 11th and 15th the temperature was much colder than the max for most of the day.  For overnight minimum temperatures we have had temperatures of 1C or below for 10 of the 16 days (inclduing 6 of 0C and 1 below 0). Last year we had temperatures of 1C or below for 12 of the first 16 days of October (including 4 of 0C and 6 below 0C). I know the temperatures that we are having now are nothing compared to what we will be experiencing soon but based on what we are experiencing now it looks like being every bit as cold a winter as last year and maybe colder.  The snow that we have today which while not particularly heavy was still enough to stay on the ground - and the first time we had snow like that last year was not until the middle of November.

AMonk

« Reply #895 on: October 17, 2010, 04:12:22 AM »
 cfcfcfcfcf Temp at 6am was 24*, with 60% humidity......I akakakakak this time of year.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #896 on: October 17, 2010, 05:13:25 AM »
I used to like you AMonk  asasasasas

As a side note, I once almost got a job in Bermuda. I lost it because the other guy had no family and the company I applied to asked if they would be coming.

Someone now please explain in berry berry easy english, what is dew point?
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

AMonk

« Reply #897 on: October 17, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
e.g. When car metal is cold, and air is warmer, you get dew on car.....like condensation on glass of ice+water.  [Variable] temperature at which this occurs = dew point.

p.s.  I still akakakakak you DD
Moderation....in most things...

Ruth

« Reply #898 on: October 17, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
Teacheraus  aoaoaoaoao It seems way early in the year to be having such cold temps. I remember a really heavy snowfall one year when I lived in Minnesota (school was canceled the next day because the roads weren't cleared - and they know how to clear snow in MN), but that was unusual. IMHO, snow shouldn't start until late Nov. or early Dec., but I'm a gal from southern Ontario and that's how we do it there.

« Reply #899 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
Ruth, I think just a little early.  The first significant snow last year was on the 14th of November, though according to the weather history we did have snow overnight on the 19th October (but there was no sign of it the next day so we don't really count it). I think our temperatures this year are just a couple of weeks early - ie they do seem to reflect temperatures for Late October/Early November rather than Mid October.  Last year we had our last day with a temperature above 0 on the 7th of November and did not have another day with a temperature above 0 until the 11th of March (a "warm" 1C) (but actually only had 5 days above 0 in the whole of March (3 of them right at the end and the highest of them was 5C).