Prezi vs Powerpoint

• 4 replies
Prezi vs Powerpoint
« on: January 11, 2015, 03:20:32 PM »
I guess we all use Powerpoint in one form or another. Does anyone in China use Prezi for presentations? I have barely any idea of what it is other than software for presentations on computers that uses a zooming interface rather than, like Powerpoint, a deck of slides. Supposedly however it does work in China (although there is some desktop version, the main point about Prezi is it's cloud based and the editor interface can be slow in China). It's what the cool kids use. I saw some quote or another about how in business no one under 30 does ppt any more. Maybe education isn't business and none of us are under 30, but still.....

Anyone?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Prezi vs Powerpoint
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »
Some of my students have used Prezi for in class presentations before. It looks quite slick and I got the feeling it makes presentations look a lot more impressive than they really are. A shit powerpoint is a shit powerpoint and there's no real disguising that, but I think Prezi pads a lack of substance with an overabundance of style.

I haven't tried it out myself though. I've only really gotten the hang of Powerpoint over the last few years, and I'm certainly not under 30, so I'll leave Prezi to the whippersnappers for now.

old34

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:40:33 AM »
Like LD, I have had some students use Prezi for their presentations. Not sure if they used the online  cloud version or Prezi software. (our uni classroom internet connection is spotty at best, but they were running it from their own laptops.

My impression...It's different than Powerpoint or my go-to Mac Keynote....But it made me dizzy after a minute or two of watching. I wasn't impressed. I like to know where things are going, not getting spun around with visual tricks. In MBTI parlance...I prefer linear to global learning when it comes to my presentations.

And not having used it at all, I don't know how well it can or cannot handle embedded content like videos and audio which make up a significant portion of the Keynotes I create for my lessons.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
My team and I are looking at Prezi as an option for a culminating activity that we are currently writing for the new social studies curriculum. My team doesn't care for Prezi and are leaning more towards PPT. I think a Google Presentation ought to fit the bill, but I want see if https://www.smore.com/ might be a possibility or even http://edu.glogster.com/?ref=com . The jury is still out, as all three of us must agree on the final verdict.

EmJay

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
I'm under 30 and I have never used Powerpoint. I make any presentations on paint. Honestly. I just save the ''slides'' as .JPEGs and use the cursor keys to move through in the .JPEG viewer. I'm a bit of dinosaur, I actually write a lot on the whiteboard compared to other teachers I've seen who come armed with a 50 slide Powerpoint to every class.