What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
Interesting times...
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #391 on: March 10, 2008, 11:57:11 PM »
Is this the start of something??

China foils attempted terror attack on flight

Beijing
March 10, 2008

CHINA has foiled an attempt to crash a passenger jet en route to Beijing and the aircraft made a safe emergency landing, a senior official said yesterday in what state media called an attempted terrorist attack.

The China Southern flight originated in Urumqi, capital of the restive far western Chinese region of Xinjiang, where militant Uighurs have agitated for an independent "East Turkestan".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/china-foils-attempted-terror-attack-on-flight/2008/03/09/1204998289521.html

Something more about this
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=351614&type=National
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
Foreigners on the plane and it gives them a great, public excuse to clamp down on the Uighurs. Same with the 'terrorist' attack the week before.  Any money on how soon there will be an incident with the Tans that gives reasons for beefing up the police/military presence in Tan areas??  Even over Monlam festival in my favourite tiny town there were military stationed there - NEVER seen them there before.

« Reply #393 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »
Hard to see how they could beef things up any more than they have: accounts I've heard have so many undercover folks that they almost outnumber the locals.

But I agree: you can't suspend civil rights without some terrorism to point to.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #394 on: March 11, 2008, 10:25:34 PM »

Reason for fleeing to Blighty...aside from all the libraries, smoke-free pubs, London...

Danish tax level the worlds highest
Following the gradual lowering of the Swedish tax level, Denmark now stands alone with the world record in tax levels imposed on citizens and businesses. It is more than likely that the gap between Dan-ish and Swedish taxes will continue to widen. This weekend, the Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt promised at his party’s national assembly to propose new tax cuts on labour totalling DKK10bn this autumn. Minister of Tax Kristian Jensen (V) acknowledges that the Swedish devel-opment will put pressure on the fixation of Danish tax levels. “The Swedish proclama-tion concerning the lowering of taxes on labour clearly puts pressure on us here in Denmark getting the most out of the work of the tax commission. I have a clear vision that we will have lower tax in 2011 than we have today. If we don’t, then I have not been doing my job properly or else we have another Minister of Tax,” says Kris-tian Jensen to the paper.   
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #395 on: March 15, 2008, 05:08:18 AM »
Wow, the power Bjork has is incredible bfbfbfbfbf
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #396 on: March 15, 2008, 05:14:12 AM »
Actually i was just watching this on the news, i was quite shocked the Hong Kong news channel was allowed to even mention it.

Seems it's going to be a busy year for the  bababababa bababababa bababababa

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #397 on: March 17, 2008, 11:28:20 PM »

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM MENTIONING THE NAMES IN THE NEWS.... WE WERE ALMOST BLOCKED AND  I CAN"T AFFORD TO HAVE THE SERVER BLOCKED IN CHINA.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »
We already know that meat has a huge carbon footprint, but the United States Olympic Committee is making it worse by shipping 25,000 pounds of Tyson Foods meat to Beijing for the athletes to eat, suggesting that Chinese standards applied to meat are lower than in the USA. A caterer describes Chinese chicken: “We had it tested and it was so full of steroids that we never could have given it to athletes. They all would have tested positive.”

So instead they will eat American meat, which is chock full of antibiotics, hormones and pesticides, is barely inspected by a dysfunctional USDA. We are certain that it is so much better.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/03/flying-meat-to-china.php

« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »
Some wonderful news about my former governor--his former driver claims to have had a threesome with the gov and his wife (back in the days when the gov claimed he was straight). The gov says it's true, the wife denies it. Supposedly, she claims that the whole marriage was a sham and she's seeking tons of money in divorce. This is certainly hurting her case.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #400 on: March 19, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
We already know that meat has a huge carbon footprint, but the United States Olympic Committee is making it worse by shipping 25,000 pounds of Tyson Foods meat to Beijing for the athletes to eat, suggesting that Chinese standards applied to meat are lower than in the USA. A caterer describes Chinese chicken: “We had it tested and it was so full of steroids that we never could have given it to athletes. They all would have tested positive.”

So instead they will eat American meat, which is chock full of antibiotics, hormones and pesticides, is barely inspected by a dysfunctional USDA. We are certain that it is so much better.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/03/flying-meat-to-china.php

I thought that the athletes had been told they all had to eat chinese food.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #401 on: March 20, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »
I thought that the athletes had been told they all had to eat chinese food

It might make them run faster bqbqbqbqbq

AMonk

« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2008, 01:10:12 PM »
Just watched a very interesting BBC Documentary about democracy in the Chinese style.

A class at a Wuhan Primary school (Evergreen, I think is the name) held democratic elections for position of Class Monitor - Class 1, Grade 3.

There were 3 candidates (Luo Liu, Cheng Cheng and Xijiaou).  Each one was permitted two assistants to help with their campaigning.  LL's parents are both police officers.  CC's parents were "regular" middle class, a TV producer and an engineer. XJ's mother (a school administrator) is a single parent.

The campaigning was hard fought, and all three wanted to quit the election, at one point.  In the end, LL (who had already been Monitor two years in a row) won.....with some judicious bribery gifts being arranged by his parents....nevermind that he was the least poular of the three, and has a reputation for being a pint-sized bully.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »
US Olympic tourists warned about monitoring in hotels

Americans traveling to China for the Olympic Games in August can expect their hotel rooms there to be monitored, the State Department warned on its website.

"All visitors should be aware that they have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public or private locations," according to the State Department site.

"All hotel rooms and offices are considered to be subject to on-site or remote technical monitoring at all times. Hotel rooms, residences and offices may be accessed at any time without the occupant's consent or knowledge," it said.

It added that many hotels and apartment buildings may be poorly built, lack emergency exits, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide monitors and basic security like locks, alarms, and personnel.

It also said that the threat of terrorism appeared to be minimal, but urged caution nonetheless.

"The threat level for terrorism against Americans in China remains low. However, any large-scale public event like the upcoming Olympic Games could become the focus of terrorist acts or other forms of violence," it said.

"There is no reason to believe that US citizens are being targeted at this time," it said.

It also said crime rates were relatively low, with major metropolitan areas safer than similar sized cities in other developing countries.

But "while the overall crime threat is low, the number of criminal incidents, including those directed against Americans, continues to rise," it added.

The Olympic Summer Games will take place from August 8-24, followed by the Beijing Paralympic Summer Games 2008 from September 6-17.   

« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
Wow !! Skygod, wonder who has the video rights to the hotel rooms being monitored?. uuuuuuuuuu