What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2007, 11:38:27 PM »
I read about that somewhere. Didn't the CEO commit suicide due to this recall. Something about awarding a contract to a friend whose company failed do meet the health requirements and used poisonous paint?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2007, 11:43:46 PM »
Here is a german article about it - sorry, I normally do not read english news(papers)
http://onleben.t-online.de/c/11/97/67/82/11976782.html
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

AMonk

« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2007, 11:48:53 PM »
Don't know about the CEO, but the paint was lead-laden, and the toys also had tiny, detachable parts that could be (too) easily swallowed.  Not good for little tummies!
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2007, 03:22:04 PM »
It gets worse:

Chinese officials knew about magnetic toy problems: report
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | 10:12 AM ET CBC News

Chinese authorities knew about safety problems with magnets on toys months before Mattel Inc. issued a massive recall, an industry official told Reuters Wednesday.

On Tuesday, the California-based toymaker recalled nearly 18.7 million toys worldwide because of magnets that could be swallowed, risking potentially fatal intestinal perforations, infections or blockage in children that swallow more than one, and excessive amounts of lead in the paint. About 10 million toys were recalled in Canada and the United States.

The Chinese official, who asked not to be identified, said the issue with the magnetic toys was known back in March, but neither the U.S. company nor the manufacturers were notified.   

"We knew about the situation, because since March some toys had been recalled due to magnetic parts problems," said an official with the China Toy Association.

The China Toy Association plans to meet with the Commerce Ministry and a quality watchdog Wednesday to discuss solutions to the problem.

China has been struggling to regain the trust of consumers worldwide after a string of recalls involving a number of products, including defective tires and tainted toothpaste.

Two weeks ago, Mattel's Fisher-Price division recalled about one million toys sold in the U.S. that could contain lead paint. The toys were painted by a Chinese subcontractor.

Chinese authorities have admitted that it will take years to set up a proper inspection system to ensure products are safe.

Already, officials are looking at solutions such as having North American companies send their own inspectors to Chinese factories to ensure their standards are met. As well, some companies have begun training Chinese inspectors.

Tuesday's recall by Mattel involves toys such as Polly Pocket dolls and Batman action figures, about 890,000 of which were sold in Canada. About 32,800 Sarge die-cast cars sold in Canada were also recalled because they contained lead paint.

The recall expanded on a similar recall in November 2006.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

belrain

• My homepage
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2007, 07:36:03 PM »
Is your teaching job already influenced by this?
http://www.china.org.cn/english/education/220537.htm

George

• My view of China
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2007, 02:22:06 AM »
OHHHh! Dethpicable Dutch perthons!!.....
THREE young men in the northern Dutch town of Damwoude were charged with damaging property after adding maggots to supermarket meat that was later sold to a customer, police said today.

The shopkeeper found 40 maggots after the customer complained, and identified the men, aged between 18 and 21, on a surveillance tape as they put the insect larvae into packaged meat.

bibibibibi bibibibibi
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2007, 02:23:33 AM »
 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa that's disgusting.

old34

« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2007, 02:37:17 AM »
Is your teaching job already influenced by this?
http://www.china.org.cn/english/education/220537.htm

Not directly, but yes.

In their politics classes they are getting some of this these days. Don't know how much sinks in, because the politics classes are generally the ones where students catch up on their sleep or SMS's. But all are aware of it and I have seen an increase in these "political lessons" in the last couple of years. It's a good thing, really. It's the closest thing to a "moral education" you will find here.

But students really don't like to hear it first coming from the FTs unless you have been teaching them for quite awhile and you have built up a large reserve of trust and respect with them. 
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2007, 02:49:30 AM »
My students complain to me about the corruption - especially academic and in finding jobs - clearly it affects them as well.  It seems to be much more openly talked about now.  Reporting in the China daily of corruption has increased and this always seems to be the indicator that things are Ok to discuss.

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2007, 06:09:39 PM »
Australian woman killed by pet camel

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) -- An Australian woman was killed by a pet camel given to her as a 60th birthday present, police said Sunday.

The woman, whose name has not been released, was killed Saturday at her family sheep and cattle ranch near Mitchell, 350 miles west of the Queensland state capital Brisbane, state police Detective Senior Constable Craig Gregory said.

The 10-month-old male -- weighing about 330 pounds -- had knocked her to the ground then lay on top of her in what police suspect was mating behavior, Gregory said.

Camel expert Chris Hill agreed with Gregory.

Hill, who has offered camel rides to tourists for 20 years, said young camels are not aggressive but can be dangerous if treated as pets without discipline.

The woman was given the hand-reared camel in March as a birthday present from her husband and daughter.

The fate of the camel is not known.

An autopsy of the woman will determine the precise cause of death within days.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/20/camel.death.ap/index.html?eref=rss_world 

"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

belrain

• My homepage
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2007, 06:50:41 PM »
 bibibibibi

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
There is so many things one could say about that article but, as someone died, I won't.

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
Yeah, Eric, that's why I also refrained from making a comment (or two), but I thought the piece warranted posting.
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
Another, far more important story from today's Agence France Presse:

Freed dissident calls for 'taxpayers' revolution' in China
by P. Parameswaran  --  Agence France Presse
August 21, 2007

A high-profile Chinese dissident freed from prison called on Tuesday for a "taxpayers revolution" in China to bring about greater openness and accountability in the world's most populous nation.

Yang Jianli, a veteran of the bloody Tiananmen Square student uprising in Beijing in 1989, urged Chinese communist leaders to give in to "mounting pressures from bottom to top for democracy in China" so that they could minimize the "social cost" for such change.

A permanent US resident, Yang returned to his Boston home from Beijing at the weekend after serving a five-year prison sentence for spying and illegally entering China.
Holder of doctorates from both Harvard and Berkeley, Yang was detained for illegal entry and alleged espionage for Taiwan in April 2002 when entering China with a friend's passport to observe labor unrest.

Beijing had refused to renew his own passport due to his involvement in the Tiananmen Square pro-democracy movement that ended in bloodshed when tanks crushed the demonstrations, killing hundreds or even thousands of protesters.

"People in China are more and more aware of their rights as taxpayers and I have been advocating a taxpayers' revolution from prison," Yang told AFP in a telephone interview from Boston.

Yang, who is to give a news conference at Capitol Hill with US legislators on Tuesday, said he wrote a number of chapters for a book on the topic while in prison.

"Everybody in China is a taxpayer and are entitled to certain rights as masters of the country, masters of the government," he said.

"They are entitled, for example, to ask the government to make public their budget so that they can choose the most efficient, cost effective public services people," he said.

The dissident believed "the days are not too far away" for democracy to take root in China and transform from a "100 percent police state now."

He said that President Hu Jintao and other Chinese leaders were already "feeling the urgency for freedom but are worried that if they open up, they will lose their power and everything.

"The reality is nobody can stop democratization in China now. The value of human rights has become universal."

Yang, a father of two, was released from prison on April 27 but his status has been in limbo as Beijing had refused to give him an identity card to stay in the country or an exit visa or passport to leave the country.

Yang's case was brought up with the Chinese leaders several times by US President George W. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. The US House of Representatives and Senate had unanimously passed several resolutions calling for his unconditional release.

The UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention also found that Yang had been held in violation of international law.

Barney Frank, the Democratic lawmaker from Massachusetts, whose constituents include Yang and his family, said US Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's "intervention" with Chinese leaders in July helped prod Beijing to issue a passport for Yang and paved the way for his return.

"I also very much appreciate that the Chinese government acceded to Secretary Paulson's request and allowed Jianli to come home," Frank said.

Yang said that the Chinese authorities had taken him to Beijing airport in September 2006 to send him to the United States but he refused because they could not give him a verbal or written assurance that he could return to China or allow him to visit the grave of his father, who died during his imprisonment.

"So they put me back in prison and I fully served my term," he said. "I paid a high price but I accomplished my goals -- including getting a passport, which theoretically allows me to go back to China even tomorrow."

Yang said he would "spend meaningful time with his family" over the next few months to decide on what specific projects he would undertake to push for democratization in China.

In "Beijing Prison No. 2," he said, he taught mathematics, economics and English and coached basketball to inmates.

"I also offered them a course, for which I wrote textbooks, on common sense logic and the ability to search for truth," he said. "We all need it."

Copyright © 2007 Agence France Presse. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AFP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Agence France Presse.
— Stephen Wright.