Introductions

• 1851 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: Introductions
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2007, 01:31:19 AM »
I have been away for a while. And I have to say, after reading these replies, well, I nearly laughed, even at George's jokes. So, yeah, welcome all you people, and man, I need some further reading and another drink.

Not necessarily in that order.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2007, 08:41:44 AM »
after reading these replies, well, I nearly laughed, even at George's jokes

My God, you must be bored!!!  uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »
Hi everyone.  Guess I better get my intro outta the way...

I'm 36 year old male whose stupid enough to work for the US government (that dreaded big agency with the abbrev DHS) here on the US Trust Territory of Guam, aka 3rd world USA.

llllllllll

I work in IT and I'm totally burnt out, standing up a new US Gov agency will do that to you I guess. I hate going to work everyday, in fact I would quit but I like the people I work with. 
 cbcbcbcbcb

I guess I'm one of those change my career types but I've been considering teaching English for about 6 years now and decided to take the plunge this year, eek!   

aoaoaoaoao

To answer a few questions I saw posted earlier in this thread -

- Studied CMA (Chinese martial arts) for the better part of 1 decade (Wing Chun, Tai Chi, Shaolin systems)
- Find girlfriend - no, find wife - yes
- Adventurer YES, been all over the place in Asia, stayed in more than 1 3rd world country (Bali and Thailand are my favs)
- Aspiring author, I will be writing at least 1 book on living in China, I even know the title of the book, otherwise I'm a speculative fiction writer (sci-fi, fantasy, horror)
- Looking to probably be a long term ESL teacher until my writing career provides enough to live well in China.
- I'm big on Chinese astrology and had my Zi Wei Dou Shu done, it's scarily accurate!

I already have learned a ton of useful stuff lurking here so thanks for that guys and gals!  Thanks in advance for answers to any newb ?s I have, this place is better than that OTHER place.   

agagagagag
The things we touch have no permanence.

« Reply #243 on: July 01, 2007, 01:57:50 PM »

I hate going to work everyday, in fact I would quit but I like the people I work with. 
 cbcbcbcbcb

I guess I'm one of those change my career types but I've been considering teaching English for about 6 years now and decided to take the plunge this year, eek!   

Not picking on you but... The above two sentences say opposite things? bibibibibi

Are you really quitting a Government Job?? Or are you taking a leave of absence?  The latter is the preferred way - just in case you don't like teaching.  My son had a Government Job (Canada) and took a leave of absence and finally quit.  Had to because the Govt job was in one city and his girlfriend (now wife) in another city.  She wouldn't move so he had to choose her or his job.  Lotus Eater also had a Govt job in Australia.  She took a leave of absence too.  She has since decided to stay in China and resigned.

Welcome to the Saloon.  agagagagag You will get along with Mr. Nobody as he is a Martial Arts Teacher - has been for many years and also has written Science Fiction books.  agagagagag

Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Newbs

« Reply #244 on: July 01, 2007, 01:58:37 PM »
Welcome limubai2000.  Come on in, take a seat, enjoy the scenery, and have a pijiu or two.   agagagagag  agagagagag George is paying!

« Reply #245 on: July 01, 2007, 02:05:22 PM »
Actually I'm a contractor, DHS (TSA specifically) hired a lot of us.  I am for all purposes a US Gov't employee but my paycheck comes from a private company. LOA is not an option in my case and if I was a normal gov employee, TSA is exempt from Title 5 which means they can deny a LOA and take your resignation instead.  You don't wanna hear how bad TSA or DHS really is.   aoaoaoaoao

I will avoid working in IT at all costs after this job.  After 15 years in the field I'm physically and mentally exhausted.

And you weren't picking on me, at least I don't see it that way!  I need to proofread my posts better...  bibibibibi

moon over parma

« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2007, 03:33:14 PM »
Actually I'm a contractor, DHS (TSA specifically) hired a lot of us.  I am for all purposes a US Gov't employee but my paycheck comes from a private company. LOA is not an option in my case and if I was a normal gov employee, TSA is exempt from Title 5 which means they can deny a LOA and take your resignation instead.  You don't wanna hear how bad TSA or DHS really is.   aoaoaoaoao

Dragonsaver: "Government" jobs being privatized is very commong here, in the U. S. It is the government's way of cheating out benefits and hard-earned perks to loyal workers without actually appearing to be the bad guy.

I wish you luck, limubai. I think you'll find many interesting, enriching adventures entering the ESL circuit. I have no doubts you'll find plenty of inspiration along the way, too. Welcome to the saloon!

« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2007, 07:50:44 PM »
"Government" jobs being privatized is very commong here, in the U. S. It is the government's way of cheating out benefits and hard-earned perks to loyal workers without actually appearing to be the bad guy.

Spot on Moon. I would also add they are taking away COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) because it is non-taxable and does not apply towards retirement.  They are replacing it with Locality Pay which is taxable both federally and at the state level but it does count towards retirement contributions. For Federal workers in high COLA areas (Guam, Hawaii...) this will have a big impact on them financially.  Contractors like me don't get COLA.

Vegemite

« Reply #248 on: July 03, 2007, 08:57:34 PM »
Actually I'm a contractor, DHS (TSA specifically) hired a lot of us. 

DHS - Department of Health and Safety? Disability Health Services? TSA - ???

Too many acronyms bibibibibi help...

Welcome abroad Limubai, teacher in China is fun. If you work at a university you'll have lots of free-time to write. Easy teaching loads abound in the tertiary field.

As for Chinese astrology and your Zi Wei Dou Shu - can you start up a thread on it educating us ignoramous. All I know is that I'm a snake...

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #249 on: July 03, 2007, 09:37:55 PM »

All I know is that I'm a snake...

I had my suspicions.

« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2007, 09:48:07 PM »
DHS - US Department of Homeland Security (aka ineptitude on a LARGER scale)
TSA - US Transportation Security Administration (aka we search you in the airport and make your airport time miserable) - this is who I work for now, they give new meaning to "government waste"

TSA, Immigration, Customs and those all folks fall under DHS.  Sorta like a big party of ineptitude going on in DHS.

As for the astrology, I will gather my websites and start a thread later. I'm a dog under the "animal" system.  Zi Wei is far more complex and does not use animals.  It is common in the west to see them mixed together.

« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2007, 11:42:58 PM »
I'm a goat..or a sheep..not quite sure...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2007, 11:51:28 PM »
Is there a Monkey? I think I'm that. (Not this monkey though bbbbbbbbbb - He's rude)
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

moon over parma

« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2007, 12:00:47 AM »
Is there a Monkey? I think I'm that. (Not this monkey though bbbbbbbbbb - He's rude)

That's a monkey? I thought it was a squirrel! bibibibibi

« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2007, 12:08:49 AM »
Whatever it is, it's rude.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.