Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1020 on: January 16, 2010, 07:16:13 AM »
You're reading 1984??? Wonderful.Please let me know what you think about. It's one of the novels I am teaching next year. As we're on the subject of books,"Brave New World"is another good one.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

VIVI

« Reply #1021 on: January 16, 2010, 07:42:29 AM »
You're reading 1984??? Wonderful.Please let me know what you think about. It's one of the novels I am teaching next year. As we're on the subject of books,"Brave New World"is another good one.

yes. but it seems  need to take me  long time  kkkkkkkkkk <one week> to finish this book all.

U teach high-school-student or collage. As I know, it's not a easy task to catch the meaning of those 'native books',  cuz of new words & expressions, and that totally different from what we learned in Chinese-English teachers' class.  llllllllll

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1022 on: January 16, 2010, 09:38:44 AM »
totally different from what we learned in Chinese-English teachers' class
Yes, VIVI, the difference between classroom English, and real-life English is vast! In here we will write lots of stuff that you won't understand, and all most of it will be perfectly clear to everyone, except our Chinese members. Don't pass it by. It's easy to post..."What's the meaning?"
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

simba

« Reply #1023 on: January 16, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
Hi all

I'm a 23 year old paddy (Irish man). Still looking for my fist job in China, hoping to be there within the next few months. I love all types of sport, mainly football, rugby, golf and hurling.(hurlings the fastest and greatest field sport in the world for all you none Irish people out there)  bibibibibi
Thats about it really, I'll keep you all posted on how the job hunt is going and hopefully gain some good advice when needed. ababababab

« Reply #1024 on: January 16, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
yes. but it seems  need to take me  long time  kkkkkkkkkk <one week> to finish this book all.

U teach high-school-student or collage. As I know, it's not a easy task to catch the meaning of those 'native books',  cuz of new words & expressions, and that totally different from what we learned in Chinese-English teachers' class.  llllllllll

I teach at a university. Yep, the difference between what my students learn in their Contemporary English or College English or whatever their books are called, is very much different than the language you encounter in books like 1984.
You finished 1984 in a week....I wish my students were able to do that... agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Ruth

« Reply #1025 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »
We normally don't tease the new folks until we get to know them a little better, but I feel compelled to point out a cultural difference.  Hurling means something quite different where I come from  aaaaaaaaaa

Now that that's been said - Hi Simba and welcome to the Saloon.  Here's to a successful job hunt and new relationships  agagagagag
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #1026 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
Yes Ruth,  aaaaaaaaaa is quite different where we hail from, but here in China it can still be a quite popular sport. For example on New Years Eve, I personally witnessed many people, both local and foreign, participating in matches. Some of the participants were even able to achieve great distance. uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu :alcoholic:

Ruth

« Reply #1027 on: January 16, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »
Simba, I could google it (while it still exists in China), but I think it's important for you to get your post count a little higher.  You can educate me in the process.  Here, I'll shout for another beer, pull up a bar stool, and please explain what hurling means on that lovely emerald isle of yours.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1028 on: January 16, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »
Failte, Simba, cead mille failte. agagagagag chchchchch agagagagag

I know what hurling is, but the other kind is indeed staggeringly popular...which is why we keep easy-clean carpeting for our convenience, and keep the ever-emetic Gerge around for theirs. uuuuuuuuuu aaaaaaaaaa
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

AMonk

« Reply #1029 on: January 17, 2010, 01:35:35 AM »
Welcome to Bedlam the Saloon, Simba agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1030 on: January 17, 2010, 02:09:34 AM »
Welcome aboard Simba. Hurling is a popular activity among Foreign Teachers in China. We don't mind that yer Irish. agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #1031 on: January 17, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »
Welcome Vivi and Simba. agagagagag Look forward to reading your posts. bfbfbfbfbf

A word of encouragement Vivi. You have so much to give and so much to learn. Let us always try to help each other.

Schnerby

« Reply #1032 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
...Surely, after 500 kilos of angry pot-roast jumps up and down on it for a few minutes, even the most meat-happy lion would begin to think that vegetarianism is a reasonable alternative.

Well, I came to my decision in a slightly different fashion, but that's one way to do it.  ahahahahah ahahahahah

Welcome, Ivy.  agagagagag

simba

« Reply #1033 on: January 23, 2010, 02:44:09 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys
I'm sure ye wont be too surprised to know that yer type of hurling aaaaaaaaaa is also still very popular here in Ireland. In fact I partook in a bit of it last weekend for a mates stag party! Ruth I'd be glad to give you a quick explanation of the great game that is hurling. Both teams have 15 players. The object of the game is for players to use a piece of wood called a 'hurley' to hit a small ball (roughly the size and weight of a baseball I think) between two posts. The posts are in H shape. When the ball goes over the crossbar it counts as 1 point, if it goes under the crossbar (which is protected by a goalkeeper) it counts for 3 points. Ruth I culdn't urge you enough to google it as no words could do the game justice. agagagagag

« Reply #1034 on: March 12, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
Hello all, I'm gaomeigeng, a 23 year old American woman.  I currently live in Shanghai, but just recently escaped a 7 month gig with EF in Hefei. 

I went to the University of Delaware and majored in History Education, and taught US and world history in the states before coming to China.  I have found, to my great disappointment, that Chinese students who barely speak English know far more about history and geography than most of my American students.

While introducing the unit on WWII in my 10th grade World History class, I was asked, "If they had radar, why didn't the Jews see the Nazis coming?"  How do you respond to that?

So, I'm here in China, teaching and learning.  I don't know how long I will stay.

OH, and george, as per your first post...I am very tall  afafafafaf

"If she says she can do it, then she can do it! She don't make false claims!" - David Bowie