Introductions

• 1851 replies

Schnerby

Re: Introductions
« Reply #570 on: April 05, 2008, 02:20:15 AM »
You know what, I've been hanging around this place, taking in the sights, chatting to the various characters but I didn't introduce myself. How very rude of me...

If you could possibly forgive me, here's the stuff you need to know.

I just turned 21, finishing my BA (journalism) this year. Finished a BVA (sculpture) last year. Working at the most lovely stadium in the world (MCG) and working as a magazine journo.

Just realised I have plenty of education but not a whole heap of life experience so I'm outta sunny old Melbourne for an adventure. Not sure how long I'll be in China. At least 12 months, maybe more. I learned Chinese at school and from friends but really I'm not too fab at it.

I like sport and sunshine. I don't mind wind and rain and even cold but I don't like snow.

« Reply #571 on: April 05, 2008, 03:17:43 AM »
Ego te absolvo agagagagag As  long as you remember to buy the obligatory first round.

An adventure is indeed what you're going to get. But be careful, China is like the infamous Hotel California, in the way that you can check out any time you want but you can never leave...physically, you can but if your stay proves as enjoyable as mine was, there'll be this gnawing inside, a craving to go back.

Hope you enjoy the place agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #572 on: April 05, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »
An adventure is indeed what you're going to get. But be careful, China is like the infamous Hotel California, in the way that you can check out any time you want but you can never leave...physically, you can but if your stay proves as enjoyable as mine was, there'll be this gnawing inside, a craving to go back.

That explains soooo much.
 aiaiaiaiai
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Schnerby

« Reply #573 on: April 05, 2008, 01:46:23 PM »
Well I must admit I caught the bug the first time I came over.
Ther is a distinct possibility I may stay. Who knows....?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #574 on: April 05, 2008, 02:25:37 PM »
If you're here long enough, even leaving becomes a problem.

Schnerby

« Reply #575 on: April 07, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »
Doesn't seem like a bad problem to have really

Wo shi NEWB
« Reply #576 on: April 08, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
Hey all,

My name is GwaiLower and Im an addict.

Im addicted to spicy Hunan foods that I cant get when I go home, cause every Chinese restrnt in the States is a bastardized Canton joint.

Im addicted to that sweet sound of someone wretching and hawing to snort up a foul glob of lung butter to fling down on the path in front of me.  Well Im a danger junkie what can I say.

Im addicted to the metallic scent and coppery taste of GuangZhou air as it plates the insides of my lungs rendering them impervious to the health neg-effects of the unfiltered cigarette smoke wafting, ney billowing across from the next nonsmoking table at breakfast.

Im addicted to woda chungguo nupengyou da weixiao he tada hun xing gan tui that go all the way up and how am I ever gonna go home and not have terrible shakes n withdrawals.  Im a lost yuan gui zi spiraling down beyond the point of no return, actually I think I passed that a few trips/years ago.

"You a badda boy, I no like you... oh!... Im so a badda girl", She told me. 

Im so over my head. Deep trouble here... The kind only a blond haired, blue eyed Southern boy, adrift in the middle kingdom can get into.

Dice anyone?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:25:34 PM by GwaiLower »

George

• My view of China
« Reply #577 on: April 08, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
Welcome aboard, Gwai.  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag I know how you feel.....................................................I think!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #578 on: April 08, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »
Welcome Gwai agagagagag We're all addicts here...pull up a chair, have a pint of baijiu and roll 'em jjjjjjjjjj
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #579 on: April 08, 2008, 10:51:19 PM »
Nice to have you both aboard, Schnerby, Gwai.  Order up, it's ........Cheeky's turn (She'll never notice, she's too busy being married). agagagagag agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #580 on: April 08, 2008, 11:36:54 PM »
Besides, her wedding guests only drank the good stuff, though I did see Nolefan lurking about in the crowd pics and he's not always choosy when it comes to booze.  There's plenty of cheap stuff left, so party on and welcome aboard new pengyous. agagagagag
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #581 on: April 09, 2008, 01:11:26 AM »
Man, that just gave me a big jones for the Shamrock.  "Hey there, I'm famous in Canada."  ababababab
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #582 on: April 09, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »
Besides, her wedding guests only drank the good stuff, though I did see Nolefan lurking about in the crowd pics and he's not always choosy when it comes to booze.  There's plenty of cheap stuff left, so party on and welcome aboard new pengyous. agagagagag

asasasasas i am very picky when it comes to my booze!!!!! u should know better dear!

but.. anyways.. welcome to the newbies... watch out for that little dark corner over there as still is lurking under the table looking for pink glasses and georges is ahem..georges..  jjjjjjjjjj
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #583 on: April 09, 2008, 05:23:09 AM »
Thnx for the welcome. 

I'm a US based shoe designer and I travel to the GZ area about 8 times a year for 10 days to 2 weeks per trip.  I usually stay in Panyu at the Lotus Hill Golf Resort, Lin Hua Shan.  Anybody reside in the area?

Favorite places to hang would be Cohiba's and bars in PY like Babi, etc although last trip a girl I met took me out clubbing in GZ proper.  Great time, very cool place, dont know the name but I will definitly be going out with those new friends more.

My Mandarin is pretty decent.  I can certainly slip my handlers and wander China on my own without any problems.  I can order (duh), direct cabbies, shop, carry on simple conversations (not exactly waxing philosophical but hey, Im getting there) and I can seriously get my flirt on with the local girls.  No Canto though.  Even though its officially a Cantonese area Ive never had a problem.

At the moment Im back in Seattle.  Missing the food and.. erhem, all the rest of that stuff Im addicted to...  We do two lines a year and I just finished the Sprng/Summer 09 line so now theres a gap before I start Fall/Winter and I wont be back over until mid July.  Too long, Im gonna need to get Skype or something so I can stay in communication with my friends.  I just want to be able to text 2 peoples' cell phones.  Skype is the only thing I know of that will let me do that w/ out it going on my personal cell.  Anyone else have any options on international texting that are cost effective?

(rolls...)

(peeks...)

(strokes goatee, pretending to be carefully strategizing through the drunken haze)

Ba ge Liou!

Gan bei! (LOL, the trick is to just keep toasting even if they keep winning, you can drink them under the table by "gan bei"-ing the whole table enough times!)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:29:50 AM by GwaiLower »

« Reply #584 on: April 10, 2008, 01:43:25 AM »
Welcome, and the next round of NON-alcoholic drinks is on me.  afafafafaf