Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #270 on: July 18, 2007, 02:32:03 AM »
They are not pets, more like allies. I buy them shots of Creme de Menthe and they chase Stil when his pink glasses bashing gets to be too much.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

dali-oh

• wow, did I sleep through the revolution?
« Reply #271 on: July 21, 2007, 05:25:49 AM »
Hola all, new and old. How's the weather where you are? Have been busy stateside teaching the roomie's little bird how to talk as well as doing other equally fascinating things. Feeling great, down to fighting weight and ready to return, possibly in October.

Lot's of new faces around here. Pleased to meet ya'.
True life is lived when tiny changes occur.

Leo Tolstoy

dali-oh

« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2007, 05:32:18 AM »
I am the barfly formerly known as dolly 0'dear, but I am feeling much less "Oh dear"-ish and more just plain "oh"-ish now days. Has to do with being on the mend. Coming back to China minus a part or two and feeling much better for it.  bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:44:16 AM by dali-oh »

Leo Tolstoy

« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2007, 09:31:06 AM »
Wow, welcome back.  agagagagag I tried to contact you when you left but was unble to .

Sure hope you return and I get to see you again.  agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Newbs

« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »
Welcome back dali-oh.  They said you were a saloonite from V1.0 but damned if I could remember you.  Now, it all fits into place.  Your avatar was Calamity Jane, or someone like her, wasn't it?

dali-oh

« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2007, 03:18:25 AM »
it was a kitty-dj, animated. hm. I liked that one, come to think of it -- maybe will find it again.

Leo Tolstoy

« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »
Greetings, all!

I’m American, teaching in China for the past 4 years. I’m single, 53 y.o., fat, bald, and runway model-challenged. I was a university teacher in the U.S. prior to coming to China. I hold two masters degrees (theater and library-information services), and taught a range of courses back home. I was non-traditional student (entering my academic career at 36!). Before that, I worked a stage manager, acting coach, and cornucopia of other jobs.

A native of North Carolina, I lived in New York City for 14 years (1975-1989), as well as several other locations in eastern U.S.A. I worked in lived in Germany for one year (1988-89), and I came to China from Kansas City.

Students in China (my students usually range in age from 17-50) often tell me I’m funny (“Oh, you are so humor!”), but once I’m away from the classroom (in China), I often feel like blowing my brains out.

For me, China is the ultimate roller coaster ride...

Presently living in Nanjing, and speaking only a little putonhua. Actually, this is something I’d like to discuss more with folks… When I made my first post last night (“How long have you been in China?” thread), I noticed some people had been making comments about the sobering realities of understanding much of what the local folks say. In truth, my low-level Mandarin is the result of laziness, but my situation is also perpetuated by such testimonies from others. A number of trusted foreign colleagues tell me that once they learned decent Mandarin, they were appalled by the things they would overhear. Is there a thread related to this topic? As with almost everything in China, I’m conflicted…

I’m a wounded refugee from other ESL sites, and a huge fan of Raoul (I think it makes him a little nervous.).
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »
Welcome aboard, Birddog. First, don't worry about what the peasants say about you. It's a waste of time. The ignorant peasants of every country in the world say things like that. I can speak a little Chinese, but my hearing abilities are absolutely zero...and I am happy about that. Selective hearing is a godsend!! Other opinions may vary! bibibibibi
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
Hi, George!

Xiexie ni!

Actually, I'm not so concerned about what people say about me, personally  -- they often say those things directly to my face, in English. Not much problem there. I'm able to laugh off much of it. What concerns me is other general racist, and various ignorant, prejudical crap I might encounter. 

My limited putonhua keeps me in a cacoon of denial. Insane, I know!
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

Newbs

« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »
G'day birddog and welcome. 
Have a pijiu on me, don't take any crap from George (Strewth, it's not like any of the rest of us do) and have a good time.   agagagagag  Nanjing, IMHO, is one of the more underrated, and/or undermentioned, cities of China.

I’m single, 53 y.o., fat, bald, and runway model-challenged.
Just but out here George.  People with these characteristics are God's chosen.

huge fan of Raoul (I think it makes him a little nervous.).

It makes the rest of us bloody nervous, let me tell you.  (Just joking, boss)  uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2007, 10:32:03 PM »
Hey, newbs!

Cheers, mate! Yeah, Nanjing is by and large a wonderful city. Too bad all the training schools and universities here (from my experience -- and I've had PLENTY!) are mostly pathethic places of employment. Want details? I got 'em! Also, due to an ever-increasing population of laowai, FT salaries (and amenities) are plummeting annually.

As for my little bit of Raoul-worship, it's because so many times on other ESL sites, he was the ONLY voice of reason in the cacaphony of ESL insanity -- always on target with his piss-and-vinegar dipped arrows. In times of frustration, Raoul made me feel I wasn't alone. God bless him!

— Stephen Wright.

Newbs

« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2007, 11:36:44 PM »
Okay, let's be serious here for a minute. 

Nanjing is a nice city*, with history, really good restaurant drag in Fuzimao and great bit of greenery to the east of the city, to lose yourself in.  However, being the capital of Jiangsu province is a bit of a problem.  The Jiangsu education system is, I am told, even by Chinese standards pretty neaderthal.  And it might even have been Raoul who first put me on to that bit of advice.

Which kinda sorta segues nicely into my second point.  Raoul, in all seriousness, talks a whole lotta good ol' common sense, and we all appreciate it.  Thanks boss. bfbfbfbfbf

*and I don't think it cracks a mention in the Library, in the section on info on Chinese cities. If you've been in Nanjing awhile, PM Raoul with the "the good oil" (Hoganspeak for correct information)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:40:24 PM by Newbs »

« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2007, 11:50:07 PM »
Welcome, birddog! Nanjing is a beautiful city - I was there once in 2002.
What George and Newbs said! Feel yourself comfortable, have a drink or few on George and post away!  agagagagag cheexyblonde cheexyblonde cheexyblonde agagagagag

AMonk

« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2007, 12:05:54 AM »
..... I noticed some people had been making comments about the sobering realities of understanding much of what the local folks say. In truth, my low-level Mandarin is the result of laziness, but my situation is also perpetuated by such testimonies from others. A number of trusted foreign colleagues tell me that once they learned decent Mandarin, they were appalled by the things they would overhear. Is there a thread related to this topic? As with almost everything in China, I’m conflicted…

There isn't a thread on this topic, YET.  But that can be easily remedied.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2007, 12:08:42 AM »
Thanks for hospitality, cheekygal! Greetings, AMonk, and thanks!

Newbs, forgive me, I'm still bumping into walls around here... where's the library?

Actually, I think I can provide much more experiential information on schools/FT employers here, than the city itself. Most of what I know about Nanjing's history, sites, etc., is mostly common knowledge among visitors.

A kernel of advice for tourists: avoid the green taxis (which are plentiful). The drivers of gold and blue taxis here are much more trustworthy and generally safer (compared to Nanjing drivers, only!!!)
— Stephen Wright.