• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1335 on: April 24, 2011, 02:32:09 PM »
More like humbug
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #1336 on: April 27, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend linked me to this forum, he appears to have introduced himself a few pages back as "flip."  I start working in Shanghai come the end of August and I'm leaving in mid-July to backpack around again with flip until I start work.  We traveled around China for 6 weeks last summer and I visited one other time back in high school.  My degree is also in East Asian studies so you could say China has been the focus of my life for a while now.

I'm ridiculously excited to leave and the thing I'm probably most worried about is being a good teacher as my experience is pretty limited.

I'm also from Canada and in my early 20's!  I look forward to getting to know you all :)

« Reply #1337 on: April 27, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »
Nice intro and welcome to the saloon. Check the front page to see where to ask and answer questions in terms of topic matters. There is a lot of help to be had, some already given.

So, where are you two headed off to? Have a great trip and tell us about it (we're nosy critters)

Another quick question, are you Asian? Where I live, we have a few ABCs and CBCs (American/Canadian born Chinese) These guys sometimes are able to slip past the staring, finger pointing and price gouging. Sometimes I wish I had this ability  ahahahahah

« Reply #1338 on: April 27, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »
Hi Kyr_ie and congrats on the job! :)
I'll tell you all my secrets but I'll lie about my past. (Tom Waits)

AMonk

« Reply #1339 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
Welcome. Kyr_ie! agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1340 on: April 28, 2011, 06:42:03 AM »
Welcome Kyr_ie! Good to have some new young blood aboard, even if you do make me feel old  :-)
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1341 on: April 28, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
G'day Kyr_ie! Nice to meet you. Hope you have a great time and keep us up to date with your experiences. You have probably found the place where you can post photos? I think we all love to see them although I, for one, am totally incompetent when it comes to photography and posting of photos. bgbgbgbgbg alalalalal

« Reply #1342 on: April 28, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »
But I understand you're good at posing for them   afafafafaf

flip

« Reply #1343 on: April 28, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »
Nice intro and welcome to the saloon. Check the front page to see where to ask and answer questions in terms of topic matters. There is a lot of help to be had, some already given.

So, where are you two headed off to? Have a great trip and tell us about it (we're nosy critters)

Another quick question, are you Asian? Where I live, we have a few ABCs and CBCs (American/Canadian born Chinese) These guys sometimes are able to slip past the staring, finger pointing and price gouging. Sometimes I wish I had this ability  ahahahahah

We're not Asian, but we met some CBCs from Vancouver last year, and they kept telling us how people were always mad at them because they didn't speak Mandarin.  I'd rather get stared at than yelled at!  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1344 on: April 28, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Our plans aren't definite for traveling but we have a list of cities we'd like to hit: Fuzhou, Xiamen, then across to Guiyang, Anshun, Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Chongqing then hopefully a boat down the Yangtze and then we will come back to Shanghai.  It makes a sort of loop... We're open to suggestions (of places to skip, or add!) of course.  And I will gladly post photos!

« Reply #1345 on: April 29, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »

DD, how did you find out about me? I always wear a disguise. uuuuuuuuuu  :wtf:  ahahahahah

« Reply #1346 on: April 29, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Our plans aren't definite for traveling but we have a list of cities we'd like to hit: Fuzhou, Xiamen, then across to Guiyang, Anshun, Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Chongqing then hopefully a boat down the Yangtze and then we will come back to Shanghai.  It makes a sort of loop... We're open to suggestions (of places to skip, or add!) of course.  And I will gladly post photos!

It pains me to do down my own city, but you might be better skipping Fuzhou and staying longer in Xiamen. Fuzhou's a nice place to live, but it's the Frankfurt to Xiamen's Berlin. Modern and rich, but hardly as exciting. 

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1347 on: April 30, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
Agreed...if it's Fuzhou or Xiamen, it's Xiamen all the way.
Xiamen is a lovely and amazing city.
Fuzhou is... a city.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1348 on: May 02, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »
Aah maybe we will skip it then.  Or just spend a day there to have more time in Xiamen.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1349 on: May 04, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »

DD, how did you find out about me? I always wear a disguise. uuuuuuuuuu  :wtf:  ahahahahah

Granny, didn't you notice that DD was the photographer the last time you and I were posing together for those educational photos?  Guess I must have kept you too distracted. afafafafaf
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com