Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1230 on: December 10, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »
What-ho, Jeff old chum, new faces are always welcome, especially if they could stand a chap a snifter "shakes empty absinthe glass suggestively"...There is mangagerie here, but no worries, all the creatures in the Saloon knows it is a major faux pax to widdle in a member's shoes, at least while they are being worn...Íf you haven't heard the phrase enough times, here it is again: welcome to China agagagagag agagagagag...Now would you sign this petition "waves crumpled-up cocktail-napkin around"...it issh to prs...to pers...sssafe the snsa...slah...schandwich...huph.... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1231 on: December 11, 2010, 04:46:57 AM »
Outlier,
warmest welcomes to you, too. agagagagag
Your choice of towns to settle in was very smart, or very lucky, or both. bfbfbfbfbf

Do let me recommend to you (and others) that you might want to go with your "handle" instead of real names in public posts. For one thing, I can assure you that we count quite a number of Chinese schools among our avid readers. uuuuuuuuuu

Oh...and as for Ericthered, I trust that the word "Danish" will do much to help explain quite a number of things. ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1232 on: December 17, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »
Raoul, did we forget to slip the meds into Eric's Absynthe again? mmmmmmmmmm

Welcome everyone!

Please remember that your primary duty here is to buy drinks for anyone who's name includes Lunatic. ahahahahah

Yo Jess, any thoughts of returning to lovely Dongguan?  We've got an abundance of language mills and an institute of higher education or two.  DG may not have been the best place to go to high school, but it's a great place to live.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1233 on: December 22, 2010, 06:21:55 AM »
Thank you everyone for the warm and somewhat disconcerting welcomes. And Raoul, thanks for the reminder on the name, I will strive for more mysterious identify for the future.
I'll also try to control my widdling.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1234 on: December 22, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
I'll also try to control my widdling.

Are you a widdler on a roof?
 ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1235 on: December 24, 2010, 09:36:34 PM »
Outlier, I'll assume you've been to the Bookworm by now.  Which part of town do you call home?  SND? SIP? Wu Jiang? Downtown?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1236 on: January 08, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
Hey,

This spring, I'm going to be teaching at a public university (and/or possibly their "partner school") in Zhengzhou - if everything works out . . . Still working on getting the letter of invitation from the North China University of Water Conservancy and Electric Power, It's a little sketchy, but they're SAFEA certified and the current Minister of Water Resources is an alum. Someone else posted a few years back asking for details about the school, but I can't view their profile to see their other posts.

I'm from California, USA, a recent graduate (with all the bells and whistles) with a BA in Environmental Studies, so I'm stoked about the where I'll be working, unless it's actually going to be at their partner school. I was most likely hired for being a young white American female who is just attractive enough to be non-threatening. They wanted an interview with me before they even knew how incredibly relevant my academic experience is to the academics of their various colleges (regarding things like river behavior and modeling using Geographic Information Systems, etc), and I doubt they actually care about that, anyway, because I'm probably not going to be given much of an opportunity to be a part of their "real" school.

我能说汉语一点儿, have been obsessed with historical 三国 for at least ten years, and read AAAS's Journal of Science for fun. I'm extremely hard to annoy, always give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and, or so I've been told, "have never met a stranger."

I have a slew of questions that I'm still trying to articulate. Since this is the  intro board, I'll refrain from posting them here.

« Reply #1237 on: January 08, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
Welcome!

You're right not to get your hopes up too much about being too involved with the actual academic subjects at the school as it'll probably be oral English for you, at least at first. Once you're there though you should bring up your background and possibly propose a course, if you're planning on staying for a second year. Maybe you could teach "English for Environmental Studies" or something along those lines.

Anyhow, jump right in make yourself at home at the Saloon! 

zero

« Reply #1238 on: January 08, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »
things like river behavior and modeling using Geographic Information Systems, etc

The knowledge that you have won't be considered valid or useful, no matter how in-depth it is. The reason is that you are a big goofy laowai, so what could you possibly know? English, maybe. You are kind of like a cartoon character. Sorry to say it so bluntly. Not trying to take the wind out of your sails. That's just the way the Chinese think.

« Reply #1239 on: January 08, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
I'm not that cynical.  Your credibility will have to be earned, yes, but if you want to make an extra effort, and it doesn't involve the school spending extra money, you're likely (but not guaranteed) to get support in your project.  Enthusiasm isn't always squelched... but prepared for bureaucratic sloth-like speed.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1240 on: January 09, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »
Hey how come zero gets to be a barfly and he only has 76 posts, RD?
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1241 on: January 09, 2011, 05:37:02 AM »
He probably knows one of the mods personally.

« Reply #1242 on: January 09, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »
Yup, sexual favours works every time    :lickass:
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1243 on: January 09, 2011, 06:28:04 AM »
OOh you people are SO depraved.... I love it  afafafafaf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1244 on: January 09, 2011, 06:46:14 AM »
things like river behavior and modeling using Geographic Information Systems, etc

The knowledge that you have won't be considered valid or useful, no matter how in-depth it is. The reason is that you are a big goofy laowai, so what could you possibly know? English, maybe. You are kind of like a cartoon character. Sorry to say it so bluntly. Not trying to take the wind out of your sails. That's just the way the Chinese think.

Don't worry, my main reason for teaching English in China is to, well, get there. My year-long goals are to erect a monument in 鄚州    eat chicken feet    become a kung-fu fighter   brush up on my zhongwen and gain some "real-world experience." Hopefully it'll give me a leg-up when applying to grad school. Even if I had the power of Doogie Howser and, like, ten peer-reviewed studies published in an internationally renowned journal, come on - I'm basically the same age as my students, and, as previously stated, am a 小白老外.

Best part, though, besides that I'm from a ridiculous place ("yes-I-see-celebrities" Hollywood), is that an obscure old meaning for my name is "small nose." They're going to think I'm a liar and will fire me for it during my probationary period  ahahahahah