Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1800 on: December 16, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »
Not really true, (at least not in China as a whole).

Here's the deal. technically, as I said before, you need to be qualified to get a Foreign Experts Certificate. How strictly that's imposed and what kind of qual you need depends on where you want to work, and Shanghai probably is one of the places where this is important. Employers may very well want a CELTA, Trinity TESOL or other qual of that ilk.

However, as I also pointed out before, (implicitly), Shanghai is a very big place, and China more so.  You might be able to get a job legally in Shanghai without a 120 hour cert, (though you'll have lots of competition).

However (again), there's a scam where employers say that you have to do their 120 hour certificate, which has the advantage of being not only expensive, but also completely useless with any other employer.

There are of course benefits (above and beyond getting the FEC) of getting a good teaching qualification, but that has been discussed to death on multiple threads.

Without a teaching qualification or experience, you're making things a lot more difficult for yourself trying to get a job in Shanghai. Even if you do a CELTA, which would considerably improve your options, technically you might also need 2 genuine years of ESL teaching experience for many if not most of the jobs in Shanghai.

I know that Piglet posted a link for a job, but Piglet is one of the most experienced and qualified people on this site ESL-wise. The jobs that each of you would get (and there's some employers that would prefer you as you're all young and bushy tailed ananananan) probably wouldn't have an awful lot of overlap.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1801 on: December 17, 2014, 05:44:24 AM »
I'll take that as a compliment,Just Like Mr Benn  bjbjbjbjbj
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1802 on: January 31, 2015, 04:18:16 AM »
Hey there salooners,

My name is Juan and I am dashing, witty, charming and above all modest. I am a recently province certified primary school teacher, to which I can eternally thank a Chinese McSchool. If they hadn't wanked me so hard, I'd still be there, instead of coming to the realization that it was time to qual up; I'm not getting any younger, perkier, buxom or blonder after all (these being, as far as I can tell, the prime hiring criteria in N.E. Asian ESL). Before that I had done far too long a stint teaching English to uninterested South Koreans of all ages.

I'd really like to head back to Asia, China particularly. I really love the place, which often gets wry looks from people. Since I have no Canadian classroom experience other than my practicums (and don't really want any either), I will probably going to have to work at an "international school". Ideally one that isn't run by crooks & nitwits (one or the other, please).

I'm looking for French teaching work locally now, and may stay a year doing supply to beef up the resume, but would definitely like to go to China for at least the summer. English camps are their own special kind of hell, I know all too well, but I am hoping to find one that at least would make monetary sense for me to make the voyage. In reality I need little inducement, I am throughly infected with the lifer expat sickness, and I don't mean alcoholism (well, a wee bit of alcoholism). I can't ever see myself staying here longterm, I made that decision many moons ago, and nothing has changed much in the interim. 

I hope to get to know all of you and maybe one day soon meet up, share some bottles of baiju and wonder where it all went wrong.

« Reply #1803 on: January 31, 2015, 04:46:45 AM »
Welcome to the Saloon.   agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

If you taught in Korea then you have teaching experience.  bjbjbjbjbj

Teaching experience after getting your provincial certificate should not be a problem in getting a position in China.

There are other members at the Saloon that can give you advice on good International Schools.  Good luck as that is the best teaching gig for you.   bjbjbjbjbj

Summer camps would not be a good alternative because the majority are looking for people already in China and I doubt they would assist with your airfare or living accommodations.   bibibibibi agagagagag agagagagag

Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #1804 on: January 31, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
G'day Juan and welcome to the Saloon. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. bfbfbfbfbf

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #1805 on: January 31, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
Sounds like you and I followed similar paths - welcome!
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #1806 on: January 31, 2015, 11:37:15 PM »
Do you mean they 'worked you so hard' as 'wanked you so hard' sounds like something else!

Either way, wanker or worker, welcome!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1807 on: February 01, 2015, 12:32:04 AM »
"I hope to get to know all of you and maybe one day soon meet up, share some bottles of baiju and wonder where it all went wrong."
sounds like u gonna fit right in,Mr Juan  agagagagag
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1808 on: February 08, 2015, 06:57:51 AM »
Allow myself to introduce myself... From 2006-2013 I lived in Hunan and Guangxi. I've met many members of this forum in person and I'm happy to be here to share the photos I accumulated while in China. Semper laowai.

« Reply #1809 on: February 08, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
Hi Ricardo and welcome to the Saloon. agagagagag  I look forward to seeing your photos and to hearing about your experiences. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1810 on: June 19, 2015, 05:54:34 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Raul. I am new to this great forum and to teaching in China (well I'm in the process of obtaining my visa). My contract starts in September. Honestly, I am really skeptical of what is going to happen in China. I hope I don't struggle much. I look forward in meeting most of you. I'm from the beautiful state of California, but was raised in Mexico until I was 12 years old. I have a masters in education and a teaching credential. No actual teaching experience, besides my one year long student teaching, and a few years tutoring ELLs students.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:02:32 PM by Raul »

AMonk

« Reply #1811 on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:12 AM »
Hi, Raul.  Welcome to the Saloon agagagagag  This is a GOOD place to bring your questions, queries and concerns.

Pull up a stool, and have a jug of your preferred tipple.  First one's on me agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #1812 on: June 20, 2015, 01:14:35 AM »
Welcome Raul. Don't be "skeptical" (okay, a little is healthy)... but instead embrace the craziness that is China.  bfbfbfbfbf

Are you going to be working at a uni, public school, international school or language mill?
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

babala

« Reply #1813 on: June 20, 2015, 02:47:44 AM »
Welcome Raul! I'm the one sitting at the corner of the bar (Don't sit on my stool afafafafaf). Welcome to the Saloon bjbjbjbjbj
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #1814 on: June 20, 2015, 04:49:56 AM »
Welcome mate, glad to have you.
Red October Red October Red October BLACK!