Using Real Names and Photos

• 1 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Using Real Names and Photos
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »
I'm noticing that sometimes people are using their real names and photos when posting on The Saloon. Some are using their real given names as their Saloon usernames. Some are appending posts with their names. Some are using photos of themselves as their avatars.

It's your choice to make, but I strongly recommend that you NOT do this. kkkkkkkkkk

Here's why:

1. Basic internet security. The net is heavily infested with spammers, identity thieves, and other such internet scumbags. Posting your own personal info, even on a genuinely benign site like The Saloon, can expose you to risk you don't want or need.

2. Chinese schools, recruiters, etc. DO READ THESE PAGES! I can tell because of all the threatening e-mails I get. uuuuuuuuuu  By using your real name and photo, current and potential employers, and other organizations, can pretty easily match you up with what you say on The Saloon. This can lead to problems at work, legal harassment, or having to be very careful about your comments and opinions...all things we very much don't want to have happen to you here.

So again, it's highly recommended that you not use your identity in publicly-accessible internet areas...here or anywhere else.

Note that if you've used your real name as a username, you can easily change the "handle" people will see: Go to your Profile and click on "Account Related Settings".
Under your username you'll see a little box labelled "Name: This is the displayed name that people will see." Type whatever handle you want in that box, then click the "Change Profile" button near the bottom of the page...that's all it takes! Then, you'll still use your original username to log onto The Saloon...but what people will see is something different.

Be Safe! bfbfbfbfbf

By the way...when you get to full membership ("Barfly status"), there's an area where you can safely post photos of yourself if you want, and only other full members will see it.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Using Real Names and Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:19:24 AM »
We had a question wanting me to clarify what was meant when I suggested you not use actual photos of yourself, especially in conjunction with a real name, location, etc.

I DIDN'T mean "use a photo of someone else, giving the impression it's actually you." The idea in mind was relative anonymity for your own protection, not outright deception.

If you look around at other people's avatars, you'll find most of us use some kind of image we want to identify with, not photos of ourselves or anyone else. I use images of "Raoul Duke" or Hunter S. Thompson impressions. Nolefan uses a caricature of himself. AMonk uses the famous Bunny Rampant. Ericthered uses a squirrel, indicating that he never has his nuts far from his thoughts. uuuuuuuuuu
THIS is the kind of thing I meant. bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)