HELP PLEASE (network issues)

• 3 replies

NATO

HELP PLEASE (network issues)
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »
I have recently moved into my friends' place whilst they are away for January, they have a cable broadband connection but I'm having a nightmare trying to get my windows 7 laptop to connect. Each time I try the network shows as an "Unidentified Network" and does not connect. I have set-up a broadband network using the password and ID that the ISP provided but to no avail. When trying to diagnose I get the message '"Local Area Connection" cannot generate ISP', or something similar - that is not exactly right. Any ideas/suggestions? I  cannot spend the whole of January buying expensive coffee and tea just to use the 'net, plus I may have to draw up a short course for a job and the internet will be absolutely crucial for this. Anyway, thanks.

xwarrior

Re: HELP PLEASE (network issues)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:04:37 AM »
While the experts are racking their brains my totally inexpert solution to connection problems is to start MSN Messenger.

If it cannot connect, the TroubleShooter for Messenger goes through about 5 steps in trying to solve the problem.

From what I remember Step 1 is to sort out the ISP (if possible).

At the very least Messenger will identify the problem area(s)...
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

NATO

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
Thanks for your inexpert advice X - I spent a couple of days inexpertly trying everything under the sun but in the end I accepted defeat and the ISP sorted things out after one phone call!Oh Internet - I missed you.

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:41 AM »
Glad to know you are back in the connected world  bfbfbfbfbf
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler