You know it is winter in China when ....

• 15 replies
You know it is winter in China when ....
« on: December 15, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
You know it is winter in China when you open the window to let in some of the -29C air because it is way too hot inside your apartment.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Re: You know it is winter in China when ....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:13:09 PM »
Huh?  Hot in your apartment?  How do you manage that?
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
Huh?  Hot in your apartment?  How do you manage that?

I live in Harbin so the building is heated ... and we don't have the ability to control the temperature. The whole building is heated. And the heating in my building seems to be very effective and actually has seemed to get warmer the colder it is outside. Sometimes much too hot for comfort. And too hot to touch the actual heater. (It is centrally heated by water and there is a heater in each room).
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Borkya

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 04:10:58 PM »
For me you know it's winter in China when you realize you could wear the same outfit for 4 weeks straight as you never take your jacket off (or even unzip it) due to lack of heat ANYWHERE, despite the below freezing temps.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:52:17 PM »
when the idea of taking shower in the morning becomes mere theory instead of practice, the space heater starts to work as a foot stool and I get all my class prep and paper-work done in bed due to the nice heating blanket...that's when I know it is Christmas in China...brrrrr...brrr...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
You know its winter in China when taking time to do your hair in the morning is a waste of time because you will be spending most of your day putting on or taking off a hat.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:46:53 AM »
I know it's winter in China when porridge is a perfectly acceptable breakfast in the cold mornings.

(I hate porridge!)
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:59:24 AM »
heh heh, ETR. This year, my wife bought a set of heating lamps for the bathroom, and installed them just above the shower. All I have to do now is get up 15 or 20 minutes earlier than usual, tuen them on, have my brekkie and then have a luxurious warm shower. (OK, the water's cold at first but the bathroom is warm)
Now just tell me how to get out of a warm bed 20 minutes early on a cold winter morning

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:53:42 AM »
when chestnuts actually ARE roasting on an open fire

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 05:23:24 AM »
Haha...I'm with Yokie on this. In Shenzhen there is no heat, just uninsulated tile buildings. I had to put on a jacket at home.

At least in NJ I have working heat this year. HVAC heating system is amazing. Wish I could go outside, but it's freezing. Pass the whiskey.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
I don't mind the -30 temps outside, I look forward to them. I'm like a polar bear, I overheat quickly. I hate the heat, it kills me.

Its the waking up to a cold house that irks me. We still don't have heat in our building and no one knows when. Last night I had to sleep with track pants and a shirt. If this keeps up, I'm checking into a hotel
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Dex

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
For southerners: You know it is winter in China when the local, cheapo restaurants all have open fronts. No doors or any of that rubbish - just the shutters which come down on closing. They're happy to f-f-freeze and eat with friends. Barmy!

For northerners: You know it is winter in China when almost every small restaurant is draped with huge, unwashed, heavy green duvets - all designed to ensure that you bump into someone every time you try to get out. Stoves are great though - try warming ya beijiu on it first next time. Oh!
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 02:51:39 AM »
At first, I thought they were bomb-shlter curtains, designed to keep out the shrapnel, incendiaries and worse. (Ever seen a radiologist's apron?) When I frist came to Dalian, I had a colleague who insisted that the reason DL had so many underground shopping malls is that they were all initially designed for civil defense. Yeah, you are somewhat protected from the, umm, elements down there.
In my neighborhood, they think I'm crazy because I buy (and drink) the cold beer stacked outside the shop instead of taking the warm ones inside.
hotpot: definitely one of the good things about dong-bei winters. (not to mention getting half blitzed on baijiu at lunch and snoozing half the afternoon away on the kang with the daughter while the wife visits and gossips)

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 07:43:44 PM »
You give a student your gloves and send them to the hospital during your exam because they are showing signs of frostbite.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
I first came to Dalian, I had a colleague who insisted that the reason DL had so many underground shopping malls is that they were all initially designed for civil defense.

That would make sense. I remember seeing a lot of Navy/Army stuff there.