Shaanxi Normal University Tests Female Standing Urinals

• 12 replies

xwarrior

Shaanxi Normal University Tests Female Standing Urinals
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:29:54 AM »
Toilets! The great battleground selected by women to prove that men are an inferior species. Men are always being hammered by women over little things like:

* "Put the lid down!" I suppose they base this on some scientific principal that states, 'if it isn't put down then it can't go up again.' For some reason many women forget to follow their own rule.

** "In it, not at it." They even put up signs to this effect. As far as I know all men try 100% to meet this demand, but it's a bit like any sport requiring a good aim (Archery and Skeet Shooting spring to mind)in that a variety of factors (wind,coughing at the wrong time, equipment malfunction, etc)can prevent a perfect score every time.

Women, of course, have a totally different approach to going to the toilet.

* they prefer to have another woman accompany them to the toilet, presumably ... actually, I do not know why they do that. I do know that if a man asked another man to join him in the toilet there would be some raising of eyebrows ...

** they will quite happily stand in a long queue at McDonalds toilets while avoiding eye contact with males who happily whizz in and out of the MEN/GENTLEMEN entrance

Finally, their problems have been solved. Women have discovered something that men have known about for long time - urinals save time ... and water (thereby saving the planet).

September 26th, six women’s standing urinals officially being tested at Shaanxi Normal University public restrooms, the students using them to urinate while standing still a bit shy.  Female standing urination has ushered in a tough practice in colleges and universities.

... Special signs were designed next to the urinals: “If every woman can urinate standing, Shaanxi Normal University can save 160 tons of water.” Around the urinals are specially designed partitions to avoid awkwardness while using the toilet; the partitions are decorated with pink patterns, with this kind of warm design mainly done to reduce women’s apprehension [of using these toilets]. Next to the urinals are specially placed funnels.

... Seven college student union representatives from Shaanxi province arrived that day to participate in the ceremony for implementing the Shaanxi Normal University female urinal, all of them being female students. One student representative said that the experience was indeed very novel, having listened to the professors explain the significance of doing so, having the courage to try, yet not knowing what to do after entering the toilet. One female shyly entered the toilet and upon exiting said, “ was there for a 2-3 minutes, but couldn’t urinate.”  A second year female graduate student said new things require everyone to gradually accept, the first time definitely going to be bad, and that one needs to practice a few times before they become accustomed.

See - it does need practice!

Anyway, it does leave one question unanswered (ok - several questions). If it is such an issue why don't women provide funnels for men in toilets? Oh, thats right ... they already have one.

So, girls/ladies/women, as you step into a toilet with a urinal remember every man in the Saloon is right behind you.  uuuuuuuuuu   

The full story is on China Smack:
  http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/shaanxi-normal-university-tests-female-standing-urinals.html

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
Re: Shaanxi Normal University Tests Female Standing Urinals
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:07:12 AM »
Lol, heard about this on ChinaSmack. I love that site. Ah, well, I have been to China before, but I still haven't gotten the hang of those, um, squat (?) toilets. I've gotten really good at holding it until I get back to my room. Unfortunately, that's not always an option. I cringe at the idea of having to get used to a new peeing option when I still have to check the heels of my pants every time I stop at the current ones?

It's funny that they instituted this to save water, but as a clever poster mentioned, what about all the trees that they've got to cut down to make the funnels? Lol
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 03:15:13 AM »
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Can you imagine the mess with that funnel? And yeah, saving water but killing trees, nice tradeoff!

Ruth

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
This is one of those cases where I think the differences between the sexes should be respected.  Women and men are NOT created equal.  Urinals make good sense for men.  Urinals in homes might alleviate some marital tensions that center around bathroom issues.  I think Stil has posted about this previously and xwarrior has made some valid points in the OP.

As for female urinals - if saving water is the issue, just don't flush the squatters unless defecating, or have a water-save function for flushing liquid waste.  Then female bathrooms will smell like male bathrooms, but hey, it's all for the environment.  And yeah, the paper funnel thingies just aren't environmentally friendly.
   -if saving time is the issue - not sure how that's possible, although I haven't personally tested it yet.  I still see the need for either lowering my pants or raising my skirt whether I end up standing or squatting or sitting.  Guys just have to undo a zipper and do a bit of fiddling.

Let's celebrate the differences, shall we?
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
These things have popped up in a few other places from time to time.  I haven't yet seen a news story about any place touting how successful they were and expanding the program to other ladies restrooms after a few years.

I give it 3 months.  Then they'll quietly remove them and pretend it never happened.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »
What's the big deal about the anotomical differences? I've seen women too on the street just drop the laundry and let it fly. No trees cut, no paper needed and water was not used. As for environmental issues, urine is sterile, so other than a little salts and minerals, the tree got watered. Oh the irony.

The biggest difference I've noticed is that women "water" the flowers whereas men (taxi drivers) "wash" the walls.

But I would draw a line at  bqbqbqbqbq in public
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »
Nope, nope, Ruth's right. The differences are just too much. Ladies have their bits on the inside, and men on the outside, there's just an intrinsic difference to how we tinkle. I'm in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' camp. The trade off isn't worth it, and there are plenty of less drastic ways to save water.
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

Crippler

• Dangerous place to post
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
News Flash: http://www.yougottabekidding.cn

The Chinese upper house has ordered that all schools must conserve water and make sure that the endless lines at ladies washrooms be shortened. In this light, the PLA has been ordered to cease work on the current moon exploration and fund the new program "TFPAP" The Female Penis Acquisition Program. Beginning 11/11/10, all females will be issued a Shanzai Penis. With this new Program China will now leap ahead of all other countries in the race for space.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
Sorry Crippler, it wouldn't open

Ruth

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:16:24 PM »
yougottabekidding.cn
Kidding  bibibibibi
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 06:17:55 PM »
I was thinking that too, but no domain names surprise me anymore

xwarrior

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »
Here is a better idea for conserving water ... of course it comes not from China but the USA:

Although at first glance this concept does not seem to be fair for women’s needs, the good news is that the P-Tree can reduce the queue at the porta-pottie. The inventor suggests that it can be hooked up to a central sewer system, but an onsite infiltration system would be a great way to safely dispose of the liquid and nourish the trees with nitrogen at the same time! This would reduce the chemical and waste processing involved at public events. As for using the P-Tree at your next happening – we suggest looking into your local indecent exposure laws first.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:24:14 PM by xwarrior »
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

old34

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
Here is a better idea for conserving water ... of course it comes not from China but the USA:

It's obviously not from China. First, it's too far up the tree to be useful to Chinese men. Secondly, you're not allowed to walk on the grass anywhere in China.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.